GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

04 GS300 Transmission Died, Car Junked

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 12:31 PM
Hazimwood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 GS300 Transmission Died, Car Junked

So I never got around to it and the transmission died. Car had 180K. At first the transmission wouldn't go into drive right away, it took a little bit of revving to get it to go. Then Reverse began doing the same. As the months passed and several tranny oil changes later, some Lucas too, it just got worse. I resorted to backing into spots after it was warm because the next time I would drive the car, reverse was nearly impossible to get into. Well one morning, after several minutes of cold starting high revs, I got the car going but it didn't want to get into 2nd without high revving it..it didn't do that before. I drive 25 miles to work. While at work, I applied for a pre-approved car loan through my bank online, just in case the issue got worse. Sure enough, I had troubles getting it out of the lot. It didn't want to get into 2nd AT ALL. Luckily a friend owns a mechanic shop near my job and I was able to high rev to his place about 3 miles away...revving at 5-6K the entire way. I could smell the transmission. It was toast. Now my car had a crap paint, interior and high miles, and I calculated that it wasn't worth the cost to keep. I removed my stereo system & plate and called the cash-for-cars guys. Worked out pretty well. I bought a 2012 Prius C with 51K on the way home that day from a police officer on Craigslist. I just realized 62mpg, which more than offsets the fuel costs of the GS. Sure its not as quiet or powerful, but damn. I'll miss the GS, but not much. 2JZ felt awesome and really held up, and the transmission could have been better, but hey, it was a lot of miles, so not bad, Lexus.

Last edited by Hazimwood; 12-19-17 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-19-17, 03:35 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Actually the oem transmission is great. It died due to user error. I have 151k on my tranny and it shifts great. Just completed a 3qt drain and fill. I've been doing this every 30-40k
Old 12-19-17, 06:28 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I totally agree. This is operator failure.
Old 12-20-17, 08:00 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Lack of maintenance is what it sounds like. Sounds like you neglected your GS, good luck with the Prius.
Old 12-20-17, 08:04 AM
Hazimwood
Driver School Candidate

I could have changed the solenoids sooner, sure, assuming it was that and not the pump, but just buying them wasn't worth it at $200-300 each, with the amount of miles, it still made more sense to drive it into the ground considering the resale or trade-in value was a joke. I bought it with 135K for cheap.

I had a 1990 miata from 110k untill 230K...sold it running fine, great car. Prius is very low maintenance so no worries there, research it yourself.

Last edited by Hazimwood; 12-20-17 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-20-17, 09:10 AM
aletz12485
Rookie

Ive had a prius. Serviced everytime at the dealer and at about 75k the engine locked up due to low/no oil pressure. Oh and the batteries are stupid expensive once they go out. Oh and your man card gets revoked automatically upon purchase. I have since gotten mine back after selling it. Its a fact. Research it yourself.
Old 12-20-17, 09:11 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by aletz12485
Ive had a prius. Serviced everytime at the dealer and at about 75k the engine locked up due to low/no oil pressure. Oh and the batteries are stupid expensive once they go out. Oh and your man card gets revoked automatically upon purchase. I have since gotten mine back after selling it. Its a fact. Research it yourself.
Ha Ha I was going to say anything.
Old 12-26-17, 09:36 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Damn, wish I was around when you sold it. I have a spare transmission here at home I could have thrown in it!
Old 12-26-17, 10:49 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by Answer300
Damn, wish I was around when you sold it. I have a spare transmission here at home I could have thrown in it!
he wouldn't have taken care of it based on his previous comments.
Old 01-01-18, 07:53 AM
Hazimwood
Driver School Candidate

A 14 year old GS with tons of miles and a transmission problem is not worth fixing, even if you could afford it. That's just sound economics. If I was the original owner, I'm sure it would have lasted me much longer since I am an auto parts manager with a few ASE's under my belt and appreciate preventative maintenance. First thing I did when I got was dump a ton of cash on the damn door lock actuators that I'm sure you're all familiar with. Any mechanic would tell you to just move on to something else. I see the appeal of keeping this car, I love older RWD imports, but the GS isn't a 240sx or miata (cars I've owned in the past); GS is on a higher, much more expensive level, which makes it less practical to keep running..like an older Benz or Jaguar, which is also a bad investment. The guys that would keep the GS are the guys with the extra space and time, that I just don't have...I get where you're coming from; I used to be that guy that would pile up the projects and blow my last nickel on making old things fast, loud and perfect, but you need to understand that priorities change.
Old 01-01-18, 08:39 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats on the Prius C, those things are an amazing bargain.
Old 01-01-18, 10:58 AM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

would rather fix an old gs then have a prius any day of the week.

goodbye
Old 01-03-18, 08:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

you dont get 62 mpg.. i have a pruis also ( love it) and i know your not getting that high of mileage.
Old 01-03-18, 08:38 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by Hazimwood
A 14 year old GS with tons of miles and a transmission problem is not worth fixing, even if you could afford it. That's just sound economics. If I was the original owner, I'm sure it would have lasted me much longer since I am an auto parts manager with a few ASE's under my belt and appreciate preventative maintenance. First thing I did when I got was dump a ton of cash on the damn door lock actuators that I'm sure you're all familiar with. Any mechanic would tell you to just move on to something else. I see the appeal of keeping this car, I love older RWD imports, but the GS isn't a 240sx or miata (cars I've owned in the past); GS is on a higher, much more expensive level, which makes it less practical to keep running..like an older Benz or Jaguar, which is also a bad investment. The guys that would keep the GS are the guys with the extra space and time, that I just don't have...I get where you're coming from; I used to be that guy that would pile up the projects and blow my last nickel on making old things fast, loud and perfect, but you need to understand that priorities change.
My GS is 18 years old and well maintained and while not a daily it's not a project car. It seems you made this post to brag/bash the fact that you junked a GS300 that had an issue and most here took offense to that. You got it for cheap it wasn't well maintained it died you junked it bought a Prius and made a thread about it. Good for you
Old 01-03-18, 09:35 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by plex
My GS is 18 years old and well maintained and while not a daily it's not a project car. It seems you made this post to brag/bash the fact that you junked a GS300 that had an issue and most here took offense to that. You got it for cheap it wasn't well maintained it died you junked it bought a Prius and made a thread about it. Good for you
+1. My car is 16 years old and running smoothly. The only thing I need to replace before they die are the AC servos because they are chirping badly.

Quick Reply: 04 GS300 Transmission Died, Car Junked