GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Swapping driver seat (US) with passenger seat (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 06:56 AM
GS300freak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping driver seat (US) with passenger seat (UK)

Hi everyone,

Someone in my city is selling his GS in parts, it's a UK version so it's a right hand car. My driver seat is totally worn out, I have a US version GS (so a left hand car). I really want to buy his passenger seat and replace it with my driver seat because I think my driver seat is the same as his passenger seat.

I searched A LOT, but couldn't find anything about this. I think it's possible to swap the seats, but here are some other things. How will I be able to use my memory seats? Do I have to swap the ECU from my current driver seat to the passenger seat? Will that work? Secondly, is everything else gonna work like the heated seats?

The seller confirmed that everything is working in his car (except the memory seats, since his car is a UK version he has his memory seats on the other side). I believe the power seats and heated seats will work, but I'm not sure about the memory seats.

Hopefully you guys can help me.
Thanks a lot!
Regards,
GS300freak
Old 09-20-17, 07:35 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

There's a reason for a left and a right shoe, though my toddler still hasn't figured that out.

It should plug in, but you'll loose the ability to control the seat (unless you transfer the side control panel).

But again, it'll look like two left shoes when you step back and look at it.

Why not just get a seat cover and call it a day?
Old 09-20-17, 08:34 AM
GS300freak
Driver

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Why would I lose the control of the seat? The seat has, just like my current driver seat, it's controls on the left. It's a passenger seat from a RHD car and my car is an LHD car, controls should work right? The seat looks exactly the same. I truly believe that the heated seats and seat controls will work, but I need to be sure!

My only worries are for the memory seats since this is a passenger seat from a RHD car. In the 2GS, passenger seats don't have memory but still...if I swap my current seat ECU into the passenger seat, I think the memory seats will work right?

PS: I don't want a seat cover since I'm an OEM lover and I love the Lexus leather. Brand new Lexus leather is way too expensive.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-20-17, 09:41 AM
Noosik
Rookie

I think it is possible to change only oem seat leather covers, if your seat cushions are ok.
then you dont have to worry about any electrics

at least they are selling on ebay " These replace your original covers "

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-2005-Le...pYxqCu&vxp=mtr
Old 09-20-17, 09:57 AM
GS300freak
Driver

Thanks for your reply, but that's a really expensive solution. The guy is selling the seat for 200 dollars and it's in brand new condition.
Old 09-20-17, 02:02 PM
Mike246
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ahh.

At last. A topic I can understand. All this talk about camshaft bushes, sway bars and control arms (my wife has one of those) is beyond me. And talk about rear axles leaves me rigid.

All this because we Brits have a habit of driving on the wrong side. It’s not just us – it happens in some minor countries like Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, India and Hong Kong. Also in Japan. The Caribbean is a mix of left-hand and right-hand drive which is a legacy of those islands which were under British rule and had the tenacity to claim independence. Speak to any cruise ship purser and he (or she) will testify that on some islands they know they are going to get less guests returning from a port of call than got off as they had looked the wrong way getting off the sidewalk. It’s a mess and it’s all out fault. I’m so sorry but we’ll try to sort it before we leave Europe.

Interestingly, at the Mini factory here near Oxford, they make around 1,000 cars a day over 3 shifts. Near enough half are left-hand drive. 40% stay in the UK, 40% go to the US and 20% to the rest of the world. PM me if any other useless information is required.

I’ve forgotten what the subject is. I remember – it’s the Belgian gentleman who wants to sit on a British passenger seat and drive his GS. Yes.

Well, the controls will be OK as our passengers here operate them with their left hands. The issue is that the seat hardware will be different. The drivers’ seats have servos to measure the shaft revolutions so that the settings for position, rake and height are addressed by the CPU memories. Maybe reinstalling the servos from the old seat is possible but who knows? The big deal is the pin-outs from the wiring loom to the seat may or may not be consistent between the two variants.

If it’s not I would not want my bum in contact with the consequences.
Old 09-21-17, 04:21 AM
GS300freak
Driver

Thanks for your nice reply! Sad to hear the hardware is different, I didn't know that. I want my memory seats to work, so swapping the seat seems like it's not an option.

Maybe more difficult, but is it possible to swap the seat cushion and seat back? With that, I will have my old seat but with a new cushion and back. I just want that leather so bad, it looks so good and it's all original! Is it hard to swap the seat cushion and seat back?
Old 09-26-17, 08:03 AM
GS300freak
Driver

Anyone that can help me?
Old 09-27-17, 10:54 AM
Noosik
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS300freak
Thanks for your reply, but that's a really expensive solution. The guy is selling the seat for 200 dollars and it's in brand new condition.
No, what I wanted to say, buy that seat, and exchange their covers with each other