GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Upgrading '98 2GS subwoofer with OEM navi

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-17, 10:33 AM
GS300freak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading '98 2GS subwoofer with OEM navi

Hi everyone,

I have a '98 2GS with OEM navigation system. I have the Pioneer audio system and I was happy with it since it's a good overall system, but now my subwoofer started to rattle. I want to upgrade the subwoofer to another, more powerful and stronger subwoofer while keeping my original navigation system. I like the look of the navi system and I like to use it to keep an eye on MPG and stuff. If I change out the subwoofer for another one, will I still be able to control the bass, mid and treble with the navi screen as it is now? That's something I find important...

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-12-17, 11:24 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300freak
If I change out the subwoofer for another one, will I still be able to control the bass, mid and treble with the navi screen as it is now?
Yes. If you add a new subwoofer and amplifier to your factory system, you can control the factory systems output settings which of course affect the new subwoofers output.

Most dedicated sub amplifiers also offer a remote adjustment **** that you can install in the cabin near the driver and make adjustments on the fly.
Old 09-12-17, 11:34 AM
GS300freak
Driver

Thanks a lot! I'm glad to hear that.

Is there a well known system for the 2GS that many people are using? I want it to have a lot more power than the Pioneer. The Pioneer isn't bad, but I want a killer sound system
Old 09-12-17, 12:05 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300freak
Is there a well known system for the 2GS that many people are using? I want it to have a lot more power than the Pioneer. The Pioneer isn't bad, but I want a killer sound system
"Well know system?" No. I dont think I have seen a single duplicate system post up although I'm sure they are out there.

Pioneer provided the OEM subwoofer to LEXUS specifications (dont judge them for it beiing weak). Any aftermarket subwoofer and amplifier will be an improvement, including Pioneer's.

Choosing a brand and setup is where budget and personal preference come in. Its like asking which football team has the best fans; every answer will be different (but only Cowboys will be correct ). I have ran JL Audio, Phoenix Gold (back when they were good), Kicker, Pioneer, Alpine, Elemental Designs (defunct), and more. All gave me what I expected at their respective price points.

You will need a Subwoofer, a sub enclosure, an amplifier, a Line Output Converter (LOC), and amplifier kit (wires, fuse block, etc), some minor tools and supplies, and a way to install all of it. See the DIY / FAQ thread in my signature for some walk-though's. It is a very do-able project, Hopefully some more members can chime in with advice.
Old 09-12-17, 01:54 PM
GS300freak
Driver

Thanks for the information! Maybe "killer sound system" wasn't the right term for it. I don't have to be able to get my roof shaking. Can't I just buy another 10" subwoofer which I place in the same place where my stock subwoofer is right now? Just so it looks OEM, so only replacing the current subwoofer for one with the same size but better quality. And can't I just use my current amplifier?
Old 09-12-17, 02:52 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

I think you're asking to do something similar to what I did. I bought an amp that has a line level in from the stock sub wiring I posted a few pictures in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ggestions.html
The following users liked this post:
GS300freak (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 12:45 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

This has been done a gazillion times already. Search the existing threads and you will find how to do it, how well it works, and examples of peoples' setups.