GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How long till you say "Its Time"

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 01:24 PM
dtwolf
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2
My 430 still only has 30,000 miles so never getting rid of it.
How do you only have 30,000 miles on your GS430. U lucky dog
Old 09-15-17, 07:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
So much false information being spread recently by new members with <20 posts. What's the deal?
I dunno and then all the other noobs follow the masses....meh its whatever but this is why people cant get any accurate information anymore.
Old 09-18-17, 08:38 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to mention that our car replacement parts cost way more then the new models that should tell you something right there I'm keep my lex for ever
Old 09-18-17, 10:14 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had my 99 GS3 for about 3.5 years and definitely in too deep to consider selling it. I think the problem is getting manufacturers to come with new products to update the look.
The 2GS is a very well studied vehicle, so there's really no reinventing the wheels in the things that could be done to it. But that's not to say we can't take those things that others have came up with on this forum and elsewhere and make it to be something of your own.
This video is from last year. And I'll say I'm about halfway there.
The following users liked this post:
SamsonLow (09-19-17)
Old 09-19-17, 09:05 PM
SamsonLow
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
I agree with kevin3344 in that regular maintenance encompasses more than oil and filter. All, or at least most modern U.S. cars, are going to need a myriad of things that need/should be replaced at intervals and have to be included in maintenance and not repairs. To this point: oil and filter,fluids--transmission,brake,differential,power steering,cooling,...--.hoses,belts,filters,spark plugs, wires,...Of course, we can not forget tires and the most expensive one of them all: high-test gasoline.
Maintenance becomes a repair when we have to change something that wasn't scheduled. If the water pump breaks at 50,000 miles, that is a repair; at 90,000 miles is maintenance.
This simple line of thinking has two positive consequences. First, if you acknowledge and believe that ****** IS going to happen, it is easier on your psyche to part with your money. Second, it makes for a great defense when explaining to your partner why you spent all that money on parts. "Baby, that stereo and speakers were old and on their way out, so we needed this $5,000 system. These 20 in. wheels are better than the ones that came with the car and will last longer."
Of course, whenever possible we buy parts from Toyota and not Lexus, and we spend countless hours working on our cars. "Honey, all I'm trying to do is save our family money".
You will probably have to spend time practicing this alone before you are ready for an audience. Me? I still have my original GS, but I'm on the third wife...
Too funny, I laughed so hard the whole house heard it. lol That last sentence was the real kicker.

Anyways, I've got 189,000 on my white 98 gs400 and 95,000 on my black 99 gs400. The white one is starting to rust under the paint in small places. After 20 years in the rainy and humid environment of the windward side on Oahu is pretty damn awesome. I plan of keeping that thing till it rusts out and starts to leak. The spots with rust are not worth it to me to repair as it's in the seams of the roof and right along the windshield. The car is great because it's reliable, got good power, has a lot of space in the cabin and especially in the trunk, looks damn good (People can't believe when I tell them it's 20 years old), it's easy to work on and fix and maintain (other that the starter which is just time consuming), tons of how tos since it's been out for so long, tons of aftermarket parts, amazing build quality (after tearing apart my black one for an air suspension rebuild and a full sound upgrade I can tell you it's well made inside and out), wheel wells are big, and many more reasons. There's so much good and almost no bad, only con I can think of right now is gas mileage lol but I've learned to live with it since I would gladly trade the junk mileage for the power. Also even if the starter, timing belt, water pump, oil pump, and radiator all need to be replaced in a year it will be about 3k (I was quoted just under 4) which is much better than buying another car and it's not like that happens every year.

I've seen a few people who have a ton of money and time and show awards selling their 2GS's and I'm sad to see it but it'll go to someone who will love the car. I think people like this are Just happy with the car and have enjoyed it and want to try something new.
Old 09-19-17, 11:58 PM
Neo
The One

Still got mine. Bought in 98, original owner. Every time I think about selling it, I can't bring myself to do it. LOL.
The following users liked this post:
plex (09-21-17)
Old 09-21-17, 10:19 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Also even if the starter, timing belt, water pump, oil pump, and radiator all need to be replaced in a year it will be about 3k (I was quoted just under 4) which is much better than buying another car and it's not like that happens every year.
Good point. In the last couple of years I've probably put in about $5k in new tires, motor and transmission mounts, timing belt/water pump, radiator, fuel pump and spark plugs...all of which will last for several years. I have a 50,000 mile tread life warranty on the tires and they've been wearing very well. It's $5k well spent.
Old 09-21-17, 04:33 PM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
Good point. In the last couple of years I've probably put in about $5k in new tires, motor and transmission mounts, timing belt/water pump, radiator, fuel pump and spark plugs...all of which will last for several years. I have a 50,000 mile tread life warranty on the tires and they've been wearing very well. It's $5k well spent.
Many good points.
My two cents: Yea, I could buy a newer car but where's the fun in that? And not to sound sadistic, but I kinda enjoy the element of surprise when something breaks. Its all about the journey not the destination for me
Old 09-25-17, 04:12 PM
93driftslu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my chassis is near 400k miles replaced every bushing even did gte and 5 speed manual swap
ill keep it till some dumbass crashes into me or i crash at the racetrack.....then ill swap everything over to another shell lol
Old 09-28-17, 05:29 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

What started eight years ago out as our family car has now turned into my daily. It's a 2001 300, bought with about 145k on the clock, now has about 306k. It's due for a timing belt service and the a/c compressor locked up but will be getting these changed. Nothing really out of the ordinary has occured, not even a CEL.

Besides small niggling problems (rear door lock actuators, pass. side servo and broken driver's window switch) this is easily the most reliable car I have ever owned.

It will be up for sale once the belt and a/c is done unfortunately but only due to moving overseas, but I'll most likely pick up another 2GS since I've had such a good run with my current example.
Old 09-28-17, 09:12 AM
JamieS29
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 2001 GS430 2 years ago, and it's only got 84,000 miles on it. Not planning on ever getting rid of it, it's not my daily either so it stays clean and garaged during the week. I have an '87 Toyota Corolla FX16 GTS with a small port in it, that is my fun daily. In my eyes, I have the best of both worlds for cars, I get to have a nice "adult" car and a fun sporty car. Great question!

Last edited by JamieS29; 09-28-17 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-01-17, 10:28 PM
kowala
Pole Position

I like where this thread is going simply because I've been driving the same model car for about 8 years now and don't plan on purchasing anything newer. I've entertained the idea and there have been times when I've said "screw it" it's time for something new. I've never been able to justify purchasing something else at this time simply because 1) The build quality of anything 06+ is simply unmatched and 2) I can honestly say driving this car still puts a smile on my face. I purchased and sold about 4 different second generation GS's (mainly trying to find the right one). Overall, I think this model car in particular is one that I'll always keep. I really believe it's an exemplary icon of the motto Lexus used to carry during it's time "The pursuit of perfection."

Now it's time to finally complete the 2JZGTE conversion I've always wanted to do and give the car a second lease on life.
Old 10-02-17, 09:58 AM
Sanfou510
Rookie

I have a 00 gs400 black on black with 181k on the odo with maintenance up to date with a couple of subtle exterior mods. As it being an 18 year old car its definitely time for this car to get a paint job. Had it for about two years now. Had a gs300 for 2 years prior before purchasing my gs400. In my opinion im getting tired of how heavy this car is and also lately ive been itching to get a more lighter manual sports car that can handle corners better. Been contemplating about selling my car and get something else but its hard to let go. First, put a lot of money into it because i was initially planning on keeping the car for a very long time but now its not looking so good. second, my gs400 is nowhere near perfect but its in ok condition. Alot of scratches, paint chips, and little other tedious things that needs to be fixed like the telescoping on the steering wheel that went out. Im very OCD so it disturbs me that my car needs fixing but i dont have the time or money to do so atm.
Old 10-08-17, 12:58 PM
dtwolf
Driver

I'm surprised nobody shown any pics of there GS
Old 10-08-17, 01:45 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by dtwolf
I'm surprised nobody shown any pics of there GS
Here is my daily driver 1999 GS400, 227,000 miles. 100% original and all service records since new. Was garaged until this year now the SC430 is in the garage!

My brother-in-laws 1998 GS300, 282,000 miles. Was a one-owner car and well maintained.

Quick Reply: How long till you say "Its Time"