GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

00 GS300 2JZGTE VVTI swap, crank no start...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 10:17 PM
highkick
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 GS300 2JZGTE VVTI swap, crank no start...

Hi,

I just got done swapping a Aristo 2JZGTE VVTI engine with auto trans into my 2000 GS300. When I try to turn the car on it just cranks but won't start. Fuel is getting to the engine.

This is what we've noticed so far:
-When cranking plus testing with a screw driver,
  • spark plug coils 1 and 6 shows sparks once then stops
  • coils 2, 3, 4, and 5 continue to provide spark
-When cranking and testing the injector plugs.
  • plugs 2 and 5 turns on for a second then shuts off, similar to coils 1 and 6.
  • plugs 1, 3, 4, and 6 continue to be on.
We're not sure why the ecu is shutting off coils 1 and 6 plus injector plugs 2 and 5 after a second of cranking? The aristo engine came with the immobilizer so I purchased a JDM ecu without the immobilizer plug, which is being used currently.

I've swap the JDM igniter with the 2jzge vvti igniter and no difference. Swapped coils with/from the 2jzge engine, same result. Checked the camshaft sensors and the resistance is good. I'm going to check the Crank Position sensor next.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by highkick; 08-08-17 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 02:01 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a look at this list of things needed for the swap. Make sure all things are completed.

Apart from that, there is a guide somewhere here on club lexus on how you can still use the original 2jzgte vvti ecu (with immobilizer) as long as you have the key that came with your swap. The new ecu you installed (without immobilizer), does it have a 6th slot for a connector?

It sounds like its still trying to inhibit you from starting.
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Kris9884 (08-18-17)
Old 08-09-17, 06:02 PM
AristoJ
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your security light blinking? When you insert the key to the ignition does the blinking security light stop?
Old 08-09-17, 06:13 PM
highkick
10th Gear

I've completed all the required swap parts and procedures so far except adding a full exhaust system which is my last step.

There was no key that came with the aristo 2jzgte vvti engine so I can't use the ecu that came with it. The ecu that I purchase doesn't have the gray slot, the model is 89661-3A470.

The security light doesn't blink at all when the key is inserted into the key hole while using the purchased ecu(89661-3A470).

We're thinking the ecu that I purchase might be bad, but can't verify it 100% yet. I'm gonna have my brother use his Pico diagnostic tools to try to test out as much electronics parts as we can. If any else has similar issues, please let me know if you're able to resolve it.

Last edited by highkick; 08-09-17 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 06:42 PM
AristoJ
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The key wouldn't matter if you have a non immobilizer ecu. The light and key would matter if you did have an immobilizer. If your security light is not blinking then you need to check the basics; spark , fuel and air. Some have said the coolant temp sensor (if bad) can keep engine from starting.

I would like like to see a pic of the ecu you have, all the plugs pictured.
Old 08-09-17, 06:59 PM
vijayn
Driver

If its not being immobilized, then yes get a scope on the cam and crank sensors to see the waveforms and make sure they aren't out of sync. After that, I would check the 3 wasted coil packs and all 6 injectors with the scope also.
Did the engine work fine on the other vehicle?
If yes to the above, did anyone do any work on it before you received the engine?
Old 08-09-17, 09:47 PM
highkick
10th Gear

Don't know if the aristo 2jzgte vvti engine was running before I got it since the place/store I ordered it from only did a compression test which were all good numbers.

All connector plugs are connected so no missing/unplug connectors. I'm using the aristo MAF.

From the looks of things, the ecu is seeing something or isn't providing enough voltage/power after a second of cranking. Will be doing the diagnostic test tomorrow or this weekend.

Last edited by highkick; 08-09-17 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 01:26 PM
highkick
10th Gear

After some more diagnostic with the Pico tools, the Crank and Cam sensors are working as they should. We double check timing and it's top dead center. The ecu is not providing control/power after initial crank to the igniter, the wire which feeds to spark plug coil 1 and 6. My next step is to get another JZS161 ecu(89661-3A470).
Old 08-10-17, 01:50 PM
vijayn
Driver

Did you manage to scope the injectors and coils and the cam and crank sensors on the ecu plug rather than on the component side? This will test the wiring at the same time, because it could be a bad connection too. Is it possible to upload the waveforms?
The only reason why it would trigger the injector or coils once and then stop would be cam / crank signals or possibly immobilizer (which you don't have). So if they are all good, then like you say, it may be the ecu that's faulty.
Old 08-10-17, 05:58 PM
highkick
10th Gear

My brother was also checking the wavelength for the coils and injectors on the ecu plugs as well. We didn't save any of the wave length results. The wavelength for the Crank and Cam sensors were consistent throughout cranking.

Already ordered another JZS161 ecu(89661-3A470). I'm hoping this second ecu will make the car start up.
Old 08-11-17, 08:20 AM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by highkick
My brother was also checking the wavelength for the coils and injectors on the ecu plugs as well. We didn't save any of the wave length results. The wavelength for the Crank and Cam sensors were consistent throughout cranking.

Already ordered another JZS161 ecu(89661-3A470). I'm hoping this second ecu will make the car start up.
Just finished swap recently

it's def the ecu, same thing happened to me. The funny thing is , it ran for three days of testing. In the fourth day I tried to start it up , and crank and no start. We did everything under the sun to test and find out what was wrong, all vitals were functioning. Luckily my builder does 2jZ swaps often and had Ecu's around. And voila .

Mind you , my swap was 03 and came with -30810 ecu. So 2x 3a470 Ecu's later.... good money.

Theres an jdm Ecu repair guy on FB I spoke to , he said the 3a470 ecu doesn't have capacitors that leak, so....

Last edited by LexLova; 08-11-17 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-11-17, 07:20 PM
highkick
10th Gear

So LexLova, did you guys figure out what exactly went wrong? For example, certain parts weren't getting enough control or power from the ecu?

I'm really crossing my finger that this 2nd JDM ecu I ordered will startup my car. I opened up my current ecu and I didn't see any signs of burnt or leaking capacitors so I'm stump as to why it isn't working properly.
Old 08-12-17, 02:44 AM
highkick
10th Gear

Has anyone tried to start the Aristo 2JZGTE VVTI motor with the 2JZGE VVTI ecu to see if the engine starts? I wanna try this before I get my 2nd Aristo ecu sometime next week.
Old 08-13-17, 06:59 AM
LexLova
Intermediate

Has anyone tried to start the Aristo 2JZGTE VVTI motor with the 2JZGE VVTI ecu to see if the engine starts? I wanna try this before I get my 2nd Aristo ecu sometime next week.

ge ecu will not start gte
Old 08-13-17, 07:01 AM
LexLova
Intermediate

So LexLova, did you guys figure out what exactly went wrong? For example, certain parts weren't getting enough control or power from the ecu?

I'm really crossing my finger that this 2nd JDM ecu I ordered will startup my car. I opened up my current ecu and I didn't see any signs of burnt or leaking capacitors so I'm stump as to why it isn't working properly.
no , we don't know what failed in ecu!! But another ecu fires it right up

Quick Reply: 00 GS300 2JZGTE VVTI swap, crank no start...