GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 430 got smoked by an '06 Avalon= HELP!??

Old 07-23-17, 08:32 PM
Maltrix
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mom has an 03 Avalon and i have a 11 Camry se v6

I'm always surprised how much low end torque it puts out when I drive it even compared to my Camry. It falls off pretty good after 40-50mph tho. I had a ls400 and similarly the Avalon had more kick at the low end unless you purposefully mashed it in ls. Newly purchased a gs430 which feels very torquey but I'm taking it easy till i do the timing belt.

so don't feel too bad the Avalons are underrated and make sure you're all tuned up
Old 07-24-17, 10:10 AM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Well the 03 Avalon had the 220 HP V6 motor. The 06 Avalon has the 268HP V6, the same as your new Camry.

LS400 depending on the year had 250hp to 290HP
Old 07-24-17, 10:11 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, but which one looks and sounds better?
Old 07-24-17, 07:28 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by littleguy
here's a gs with avalon beating potential.

Old 07-24-17, 07:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You also have to remember how much safety tech and innovations in materials are making cars lighter and lighter while still allowing smooth controlled ride and suspension compliance. The 2GS weighed 3715 pounds before you even put some gas in it and sat in the driver's seat. That makes a 4K car and a basic physics tells me that getting a mass like that off the line compared to lighter FWD vehicles with about 75 percent of the HP and a more direct driveline, well you see what the result will be.

Now once you get that 2GS up to speed and its mass converts into momentum, now you have something. That's why I always found my 2GS430 quite snappy and fast on the highway. That's what it was designed for.
Old 07-24-17, 07:31 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by firelizard
The sad reality is that the V8 2GS was a quick car for its class, 20 years ago. Now it's not even that, and most "grown up" cars from the past 5-10 years could take it, or at least give it a good run.
the Avalon was only 4 years younger thou..lol
Old 07-24-17, 07:37 PM
Tank
Racer

Maybe if they didn't take away the shift-tronic in the 430's you coulda' had em'..
Old 07-24-17, 07:38 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by PHudgins
Okay... somebody tell me I'm not losing it, because right now I really think I I'm losing it...

I got beside an 06 Avalon XLS with some stupid kids in it and long story short they wanted to go from the red light. I thought they'd be a piece of cake, but they absolutely left me in the dust. I have an 02 GS430 Sport. 4.3 liter V8 vs a 3.5 V6... correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't I have embarrassed them, not the other way around?? Somebody shed some light, I'm developing a complex here... thanks in advance.
Time for some mods my friend..lol
Old 07-25-17, 04:46 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by eskaeone
Time for some mods my friend..lol
Outside of FI would the mods be worth the returns to beat an "Avalon" or similar powered car that you should beat on paper. Even FI isn't worth the bang for buck imo on the UZ motors.

(FI is Forced Induction either supercharge or turbo for those wondering)
Old 07-25-17, 04:49 AM
Maltrix
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got to have alot of experience and or money to mod a toyota for speed(outside of 2jz of course)
Old 07-25-17, 06:07 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by eskaeone
Maybe if they didn't take away the shift-tronic in the 430's you coulda' had em'..
The shift-tronic is nice to have but it hardly does anything for performance. The response time between pushing the shift button and the actual shift event is just way to slow to be effective in a spirited driving event.
Old 07-25-17, 06:21 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

OP, there maybe something wrong with your GS or how old is your GS in miles?. I have both GS400 and 430 both fairly low miles. I have a friend with a newer 2015 V6 Camry and I run him every time i see him.. Its a pretty close race to 60, but i beat him in both cars every time. My 400 puts him in his place (its modded) but the 430 is stock and a bit heavy off the line.. Running it from a dead stop its all up to who can do a better launch given the cars are somewhat equal. Those newer V6's with the short gearing are pretty quick. I recently read some mainstream SUV's are in the mid to low 6's second range to 60. But from a Roll at any speed, the Camry V6 doesn't have a chance especially the higher the speed against a V8 GS..
Old 07-25-17, 11:37 AM
GS400V8
Intermediate

These newer V6 cars will suprise you. Usually these V8s have the torque to downshift and win from a roll, but you won't win everytime especially against RWD V6 cars like 350zs, 370z, G35/37s
Sometimes I go out driving, only in Mexico of course, just looking for cars to race.
Like that you guys are enthusiastic about our GS cars but you have to know their limits. Most any affordable "quick" sedan/muscle car around this time range was 300hp which new lighter Camrys and Accords have standard now.

Well compared to a 2JZGTE, it is more expensive to boost a UZ motor. Although, Non-vvti 1992-94 1UZs with the thick connecting rods can hold 650HP+ on stock internals, you just have to get a new transmission. But compared to a turbo I6, my car is a daily driver, and I don't like lag, and personally enjoy the V8 sound 10x better than a 2JZ. VVTi 1uz/3uzs can probably take 550hp max on the thin rods, safely.

I do agree that naturally aspirated mods aren't very returning on a UZ motor. I've done everything to my car so I know.
Yeah it makes the car alot more responsive and fun to drive, but the numbers won't back you up there. The mods I did gave me a good platform for FI though, so I'm going procharger right now.
Im shooting for 360 to 380 rwhp or 450/480 crank on my build.

I will say though, one of my favorite mods was the valve body. I pulled it apart, made my own "toyomoto" style shift kit rods and used a different spring for the accumulators. Also turned up the factory 3-way pressure dial to full pressure. The shifts really snap into gear, and my E-shift is certainly NOT lazy or unresponsive. Because I modded both the upshift and downshift valves, the e-shift is much more immediate

Last edited by GS400V8; 07-25-17 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-25-17, 12:48 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400V8
These newer V6 cars will suprise you. Usually these V8s have the torque to downshift and win from a roll, but you won't win everytime especially against RWD V6 cars like 350zs, 370z, G35/37s
Sometimes I go out driving, only in Mexico of course, just looking for cars to race.
Like that you guys are enthusiastic about our GS cars but you have to know their limits. Most any affordable "quick" sedan/muscle car around this time range was 300hp which new lighter Camrys and Accords have standard now.

Well compared to a 2JZGTE, it is more expensive to boost a UZ motor. Although, Non-vvti 1992-94 1UZs with the thick connecting rods can hold 650HP+ on stock internals, you just have to get a new transmission. But compared to a turbo I6, my car is a daily driver, and I don't like lag, and personally enjoy the V8 sound 10x better than a 2JZ. VVTi 1uz/3uzs can probably take 550hp max on the thin rods, safely.

I do agree that naturally aspirated mods aren't very returning on a UZ motor. I've done everything to my car so I know.
Yeah it makes the car alot more responsive and fun to drive, but the numbers won't back you up there. The mods I did gave me a good platform for FI though, so I'm going procharger right now.
Im shooting for 360 to 380 rwhp or 450/480 crank on my build.

I will say though, one of my favorite mods was the valve body. I pulled it apart, made my own "toyomoto" style shift kit rods and used a different spring for the accumulators. Also turned up the factory 3-way pressure dial to full pressure. The shifts really snap into gear, and my E-shift is certainly NOT lazy or unresponsive. Because I modded both the upshift and downshift valves, the e-shift is much more immediate
I agree that the newer engines offer better power bands than the UZ motor and that's fine. Some people here might be stuck in the I have a V8 so it's faster than V6 FWD platforms mentality which isn't always the case.

I have both motors 2jzgte and 1uz. Although the Supra is 4 times the power of the GS400 give or take so not a fair comparison. My 2jzgte setup isn't laggy by any means it's a vvti gte with a 66mm turbo/.91 a/r. I have built in rolling anti lag (ecu controlled brake boost) so I can build boost to 10psi via cruise control button before taking off. With those features my power comes on a lot earlier than most expect. Even on pump gas where I'm around 550 at wheels a V8 with equal power will not get the initial jump on a roll run once I have rolling anti lag engaged. On E85 it's a different story.

Not saying some 2jzgte setups aren't "laggy" but technology has evolved and everything isn't the same like it used to be. Good luck on the procharger setup for the UZ keep us posted, should have a nice powerband and be a lot of fun.
Old 07-25-17, 01:12 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

For me it is realistically a sound preference. It's awesome that you don't have lag, it's amazing that technology is there.
I have driven everything from turbo I6 motors, to 6.0+L hemis to a V12 in a new Aston martin.
Thanks for the good luck, always keeping posted.
The funny thing is I have never driven a blown V8, so I'm really looking forward to it.
I'd actually prefer a top-mount roots/twin screw blower on this V8 for low end torque rather than the procharger.
But unfortunately our hoods can't accommodate a water to air intercooler between the blower and manifold due to hood height restriction.
Don't wanna rely on water/meth injection.
I would love a 700-800HP car, and I'd like to build one eventually, but I don't think I'd choose a 2JZ even though they are some of the best power makers and reliable engines ever built.
Ideally I'd want a twin turbo 1UZ with 9.5:1 compression, etc. at 600-650rwhp in a MKIV supra (yes your car is my favorite) or GT86 but for now I would probably have to settle for a SCX00.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS 430 got smoked by an '06 Avalon= HELP!??