GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Check Engine light, VSC, VSC OFF all on

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 09:43 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Check Engine light, VSC, VSC OFF all on

Hello everyone,

I was driving home from work today and noticed that my gas pedal wasn't responding on occasion when I needed to accelerate. By the time I got home the problem went away so I thought my car was acting up due to the hot weather. Later on the way home from the gym I decided to take the long route home to see if the same symptoms show up than out of no where my gas pedal stopped responding completely. My check engine, VSC, VSC OFF lights came on and stayed on. The gas pedal no longer worked but the car would remain on so I put my car in drive and let it crawl to a safe area to park. After letting the car sit and turning it on and off a few times the gas pedal finally worked again. The car drove home with all the lights on but felt sluggish. Any input on what it might be would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine light, VSC, VSC OFF all on-20170711_194922.jpg  
Old 07-11-17, 10:00 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

IIRC, there are 1,001 different things that a check engine light and vsc may be...

Scan the sucker, then come back with the codes
Old 07-12-17, 01:33 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

my shop called said the repair will cost $468 for parts and labor.. my APPS went out.. I found the part on amazon for $150 does about $250-300 in labor sound right?
Old 07-12-17, 03:13 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
my shop called said the repair will cost $468 for parts and labor.. my APPS went out.. I found the part on amazon for $150 does about $250-300 in labor sound right?
Before I jump to any conclusions I'll attach a picture of my invoice here later tonight.
Old 07-12-17, 04:46 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

LoL I was gonna say APPS, but didnt because I recently said that in 3 other posts and didnt want to seem like thats all I knew lmao! Seems to be a common problem this week

To me, labor costs are always too much imo, so I cant judge how much they should charge. However, I did this repair a few times and its not hard AT ALL! If you have any mechanical know-how, I suggest doing it yourself. If they're charging $250+ for labor ,thats like 4-5 hours of work. It DEFINITELY didnt take me 4 hours. In fact, I didnt even remove the throttle body the second time and got it done in less than an hour.

If you think you can try doing it, let me know. I'll let you know the most difficult part that made me remove it the first time, but not the second time
Old 07-12-17, 04:56 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and BTW, if you want to keep driving your car as you wait to fix it, or not fix it at all... Just unplug the TPS. This disables the drive-by-wire and allows you to open the throttle body mechanically (with your pedal). Its gonna feel weird, but you will have to drive flooring it the WHOLE time. You will accelerate very slowly, but it will get you around. I did that for over a month as I was looking for all my options and waited for parts. Let me know if you want more details on how to drive that way too
Old 07-12-17, 05:41 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

well in total I paid $486 after tax. I did call other reputable shops recommended by club lexus and I pretty much got the same quote. The pricing ranged from 450-550. If anyone is wondering I attached a photo of the part replaced.

part #22060-46070.
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine light, VSC, VSC OFF all on-20170712_172744.jpg  
Old 07-12-17, 06:27 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, so you already got it taken care of, cool Man, I need to move closer to CL members though! LoL I become shocked and appalled at how much people charge now of days for mechanic work. I could make some good money helping members out while at the same time saving ya'll some money I did this job for a local member and said, give me what you got... $30 bucks (man, I gotta start asking for more haha)
Old 07-12-17, 08:23 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Oh, so you already got it taken care of, cool Man, I need to move closer to CL members though! LoL I become shocked and appalled at how much people charge now of days for mechanic work. I could make some good money helping members out while at the same time saving ya'll some money I did this job for a local member and said, give me what you got... $30 bucks (man, I gotta start asking for more haha)
for sure.. I think my mechanic got the part cheaper but I couldn't negotiate after I already agreed to the work... in hindsight I probably could have got the part and labor a lot cheaper
Old 07-13-17, 02:37 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Meh, all that counts is that you got her running again, that's priceless
Old 07-13-17, 07:23 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Glad to hear running quickly.

I have had similar symptoms with my car twice before (VSC, VSC OFF CEL poor throttle response etc.). First time was about six or seven years ago and the second time was about two or three years abo. Both times I pulled off the entire throttle body and gave it a thorough cleaning with carb cleaner. Sprayed the shafts of the APPS and the throttle motor liberally with the carb cleaner. I also cleaned up the throttle valve and housing. After putting everything back together the problems disappeared until the next time. The first occurrence was at around 230K km and the second time was at around 350K km. I actually did this procedure again as a maintenance when I did my timing belt last summer at around 420Kkm. The car now has 440Kkm and it is still running great with the original APPS and throttle body. The only part I have changed is the throttle body gasket last summer just as a maintenance item. I don't believe it was leaking.
Old 07-13-17, 11:09 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by newgsman
Glad to hear running quickly.

I have had similar symptoms with my car twice before (VSC, VSC OFF CEL poor throttle response etc.). First time was about six or seven years ago and the second time was about two or three years abo. Both times I pulled off the entire throttle body and gave it a thorough cleaning with carb cleaner. Sprayed the shafts of the APPS and the throttle motor liberally with the carb cleaner. I also cleaned up the throttle valve and housing. After putting everything back together the problems disappeared until the next time. The first occurrence was at around 230K km and the second time was at around 350K km. I actually did this procedure again as a maintenance when I did my timing belt last summer at around 420Kkm. The car now has 440Kkm and it is still running great with the original APPS and throttle body. The only part I have changed is the throttle body gasket last summer just as a maintenance item. I don't believe it was leaking.
After picking up my car yesterday I ran a bunch of errands and drove to work today.. everything is back to normal.. this was the first time I ever had a issue with this car. Unlucky for me that the part is so expensive but lucky it wasn't anything serious.
Old 07-13-17, 12:13 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...p-mode-33.html look at post 486. This is a major safety issue and Lexus is good-willing these. You can probably get reimbursed.
Old 07-13-17, 07:19 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by burny
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...p-mode-33.html look at post 486. This is a major safety issue and Lexus is good-willing these. You can probably get reimbursed.
unfortunately Lexus stop that campaign sometime around 2016.. I did contact lexus corporate to see if they can re-reimburse some of my cost but having gotten the car fixed at a indy shop won't help my case.
Old 07-14-17, 04:31 PM
pinoyx2001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Messaged you Mr. Jokster

Quick Reply: Check Engine light, VSC, VSC OFF all on