GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Went spoilerless on my 03 GS430 (third brake light question)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 08:13 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Went spoilerless on my 03 GS430 (third brake light question)

I installed my spare trunk (no spoiler) on the GS recently. The car originally came with a spoiler from the factory.

What is needed to install a rear deck mounted third brake light inside the cabin? Anybody know? Thank you.
Old 07-01-17, 12:40 AM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

Use the parts from a car that was originally wingless.

I imagine you can use the same wires that used to power the LED in the spoiler. I don't know if the stock bit of harness reaches the rear deck or not.
Old 07-01-17, 06:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I installed my spare trunk (no spoiler) on the GS recently. The car originally came with a spoiler from the factory.

What is needed to install a rear deck mounted third brake light inside the cabin? Anybody know? Thank you.
how long do you have to be a member before you actually search instead of just posting? come on man you have been on here (even if you werent in the gs section all that time) for over a decade

im 99% sure (without actually searching) that all cars were wired for either..... so there should be a plug in the car for it also the deck lid will need to be trimmed to hold the 3rd brake light
Old 07-01-17, 10:59 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

And that's why I don't search anymore.... because all the info is some guy posting info that they heard from some other guy with zero actual knowledge or experience.

Thanks for the info guys...really helped.
Old 07-01-17, 02:17 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

You could also do something different. I sourced the LED third brake light from a 1gen GS which is about 24" long. Rewired the plug to work with the 1gen GS harness and used that as a third brake light. I think it looks pretty sick I put mine at the bottom of the rear deck where the 2gen's third brake light usually is, others have mounted it at the top of the rear window which too looks pretty dope The only thing is that you'll get the rear brake light out indicator on your dash. All you have to do is remove the purple pin from the unit on the driver side harness under the rear dash.
Old 07-02-17, 08:46 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
You could also do something different. I sourced the LED third brake light from a 1gen GS which is about 24" long. Rewired the plug to work with the 1gen GS harness and used that as a third brake light. I think it looks pretty sick I put mine at the bottom of the rear deck where the 2gen's third brake light usually is, others have mounted it at the top of the rear window which too looks pretty dope The only thing is that you'll get the rear brake light out indicator on your dash. All you have to do is remove the purple pin from the unit on the driver side harness under the rear dash.
That's interesting and sounds like it looks amazing. Any pics by chance?
Old 07-03-17, 01:48 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Here are some lazy pics

Old 07-03-17, 12:20 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
And that's why I don't search anymore.... because all the info is some guy posting info that they heard from some other guy with zero actual knowledge or experience.

Thanks for the info guys...really helped.
lol, no you dont search anymore cause you want to be spoonfed the answer. did you actually look for a plug, i would say probably not? good luck with your fix
Old 07-03-17, 07:25 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Took me a minute, but found one of the few guys who did the same as I, but installed up top. However, if you did go that way, I'd only do it if you have a roof spoiler. Looks pretty neat tucked under it:

Old 07-05-17, 04:28 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's my understanding that people have had problems getting all the lights to illuminate when plugging a factory 3rd brake light into a car that came with a spoiler. Third hand information again but I'm not gonna search for the threads myself. Came across them when looking into the wiring for the led strip I used across the top of the window. Like was said before, probably looks better tucked under a roof spoiler. Don't mind the old taillight.

Old 07-06-17, 08:29 AM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Just ignore sakataj, he has been professionally diagnosed with self-appointed-moderator complex. Search is pretty useless on this board. All you get is dead links, missing photos, or zero answers altogether.

Anyways, like the others have done, you have a good opportunity to put in a custom light bar. I'm a particular fan of the high-mount style because I feel like it's more visible.

Since I have no idea if the plug for the third brake light already exists in your car, what I would personally do is convert all my tail light bulbs to LED, tap one of the brake light wires as a switch wire for a relay, and use the relay to switch on the LED bar. A square of electrical tape covers the "lights out" warning on the dash, and if your shift lock stops working, just wedge something down in the override.
Old 07-06-17, 02:28 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The plug is there, its not rational to make 2 separate complete harnesses for a vehicle with a single component difference. I believe the addition, or rather separate, is another harness going from that plug to the trunk where the spoiler would plug into.
Old 07-08-17, 08:28 AM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by eicca
what I would personally do is convert all my tail light bulbs to LED, tap one of the brake light wires as a switch wire for a relay, and use the relay to switch on the LED bar. A square of electrical tape covers the "lights out" warning on the dash, and if your shift lock stops working, just wedge something down in the override.
Or, you could tap into the harness for the third brake light, put an appropriate load on it, and retain the function of your light-out indicator.
Old 07-15-17, 10:56 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj
lol, no you dont search anymore cause you want to be spoonfed the answer. did you actually look for a plug, i would say probably not? good luck with your fix
Why are you even responding... you're not helping anyone besides making yourself look like a *****. Please leave.
The following users liked this post:
eicca (07-16-17)
Old 07-17-17, 08:45 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
It's my understanding that people have had problems getting all the lights to illuminate when plugging a factory 3rd brake light into a car that came with a spoiler. Third hand information again but I'm not gonna search for the threads myself. Came across them when looking into the wiring for the led strip I used across the top of the window. Like was said before, probably looks better tucked under a roof spoiler. Don't mind the old taillight.

I can confirm Kyle's comment. I had an OEM spoiler with no 3rd brake light on my rear deck. I removed that spoiler and tried to add an OEM 3rd brake light on my rear deck, but a few of the bulbs did not light up no matter what I did (swapped bulbs, swapped a second assembly in). I drove around for awhile with only 3 out of 5 bulbs lit up until I saw Kyle run an LED strip. I went and bought a smaller LED strip and retro'd it into my 3rd brake light housing. I just hot glued the strip to the bulbs, ran the wire out of the housing, cut the OEM connector off, and spliced the power and ground wires. Works perfectly.

Post 1906: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9800231

Last edited by LexusK; 07-17-17 at 08:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (07-17-17)

Quick Reply: Went spoilerless on my 03 GS430 (third brake light question)