GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying a 98 GS400 with 250k miles... Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 02:55 PM
akoogle63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 98 GS400 with 250k miles... Am I crazy?

I have the opportunity to buy a 1998 GS400 with 250k miles for $1700. Normally I wouldn't even consider a car with over 200k, but the 1UZFE is an exception. Would it be a bad decision to pull the trigger on this? Timing belt was replaced at 230k almost 3 years ago. It has new tires and no mechanical issues that I know of. Only downsides are drivers seat wear (not a big issue IMO) and the paint fading. It is black/black and the hood/roof have a decent amount of fading. I don't know specifics yet on what other maintenance has been done recently. It is a lot of miles but if something major were to break down I can't see getting less than 1000 for parts/salvage. Just from this info, what would you do? What do you think would be most likely to fail or require work to be done? Any maintenance/services that would make you walk away if not done?
Old 04-10-17, 03:25 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

All depends on the service history. At least you know your good on the timing belt. There's a lot of people on here with way more miles than that and I'm sure your not gonna find a better car for $1700. Once again depends on service history. Good luck
Old 04-10-17, 05:41 PM
akafixture
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My uncle has a LS400 (1994) with 350K miles original tranny and engine. He has done all the maintenance though as required.
Old 04-13-17, 12:56 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the ball joints.

Paint can be Maacoed.
Seat can be replaced.
Old 04-13-17, 09:38 PM
daltexlex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 2002 GS430 brand new and maintained serviced according to maintenance schedule. I have 150k and have recently spent $3k on the front end and new brakes all the way around. Check out the steering and make sure the ball joints are good. Remember drilled/ slotted disc cannot be turned (if it has upgraded brake disc) so those disc would have to be replaced after. Also when you rev the engine feel for movement. The engine mounts can be broken (mine are). Which can cause problems with sensors and even make the check engine light stay on. Also make sure the power steering fluid is full and not leaking. might mean the fluid has leaked completely out at some point and might require power steering master cylinder after that many miles. Same with the BMC.... Also check for random dashboard warning lights. Could be sensor issues....
Old 04-14-17, 09:30 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought my 98 GS4 with 138k and now have 278k. Ball Joints, Brakes, 1 caliper, Tie Rods, shocks (at 277k miles!), tires, rims (upgraded to 17's and retired 16's to snows), timing belt and water pump, 25k mile oil changes with Amsoil and noting oil analysis to prove shape of engine (excellent so far!). A few air filters and that is about it. It has been a pretty low cost car to drive and maintain.

A neglected part is the "castor arm" or Control Arm #2 in front, it is a common problem with front end vibrations at 60+, the alignment changes as you drive faster. The arms are the culprit. Else, there is few things that go wrong on them.

Get the Nakamishi stereo, well worth it!
Old 04-14-17, 07:15 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Recently helped my brother-in-law purchase a one-owner 1998 GS300 with 282,000 miles for $3k. He loves it. Myself, I own a 1999 GS400 with 225,000 miles that is meticulously maintained by the dealer. Things to watch out for at high mileage: knock sensors, fuel pump, y-pipe. Each were $1k at the dealer (an Indy would be cheaper). Overall, I think $1.7k for a GS400 is a good deal.

I recently purchased an 2002 SC430 with 104,000 miles as a weekend car. It is in excellent condition. I have no issue with high mileage Lexus vehicles as long as they are maintained.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (04-14-17)
Old 04-18-17, 11:15 PM
supergo94
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as they have the service history and it was done on time...Shouldn't be anything to worry about...This series of GS models are solid.
Old 04-18-17, 11:35 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

So far (3 years) my 02 with 245,000km at purchase has needed:

-both lower ball joints
-both upper ball joints
-both tie rod ends
-all sway bar end links
-caster arm bushings
-steering rack bushings
-trunk solenoid
-trunk lock cylinder
-2 power door lock solenoids
-radiator
-rust repair
-subwoofer replacement
-right side door woofer replacement
-driver's side door module replacement
-Y-pipe
-(both) rear calipers and rotors
-front rotors
-seat heater burned through driver's seat

So, YMMV.
Old 04-19-17, 02:33 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

My maintenance history is similar (last 3-4 years):

Caster Arm Assemblies
Knock Sensors
Subwoofer repaired ($3 with tacky glue)
Motor & transmission mounts
Power steering leak (2nd time, this is a problem area on the GS400)
Radiator
Y-pipe
Water pump and timing belt (2nd time, scheduled maintenance)
Spark plugs (OEMs lasted 223,274 miles!)

I schedule about $1k a year for maintenance; still love the car and it's cheaper than a car payment!
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (04-21-17)
Old 07-14-17, 12:06 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by akoogle63
I have the opportunity to buy a 1998 GS400 with 250k miles for $1700. Normally I wouldn't even consider a car with over 200k, but the 1UZFE is an exception. Would it be a bad decision to pull the trigger on this? Timing belt was replaced at 230k almost 3 years ago. It has new tires and no mechanical issues that I know of. Only downsides are drivers seat wear (not a big issue IMO) and the paint fading. It is black/black and the hood/roof have a decent amount of fading. I don't know specifics yet on what other maintenance has been done recently. It is a lot of miles but if something major were to break down I can't see getting less than 1000 for parts/salvage. Just from this info, what would you do? What do you think would be most likely to fail or require work to be done? Any maintenance/services that would make you walk away if not done?
Hey dude what's your decision at the end?
I'm considering to buy a 300k mile gs400 now, maybe I'm crazier than you LOL
I don't even have a price as good as yours... but the major concern is still the following maintenance cost.
Old 07-15-17, 11:05 AM
akoogle63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fenixnano
Hey dude what's your decision at the end?
I'm considering to buy a 300k mile gs400 now, maybe I'm crazier than you LOL
I don't even have a price as good as yours... but the major concern is still the following maintenance cost.
TL;DR: In the end I waited too long and someone else snatched it up.
​​​​​​
It sold before I even drove it. A few weeks later I found a 2000 LS400 with 157k and every single maintenance record available since it was serviced at the dealer. It was $4000. So not even close to this one but I fell in love with it when I drove it and I bought it. I would've seriously considered a higher mileage LS or GS, but not without maintenance records or a thorough pre purchase inspection. My advice is move quick, it will be gone before you know it. Only reason I got the LS over GS is that eventually I'm going to have owned both, so the order didn't matter as much. Just got back from a 2300 mile road trip with the LS and it was amazing, though the GS would have been great too. Good luck!
Old 07-15-17, 12:44 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by akoogle63
TL;DR: In the end I waited too long and someone else snatched it up.
​​​​​​
It sold before I even drove it. A few weeks later I found a 2000 LS400 with 157k and every single maintenance record available since it was serviced at the dealer. It was $4000. So not even close to this one but I fell in love with it when I drove it and I bought it. I would've seriously considered a higher mileage LS or GS, but not without maintenance records or a thorough pre purchase inspection. My advice is move quick, it will be gone before you know it. Only reason I got the LS over GS is that eventually I'm going to have owned both, so the order didn't matter as much. Just got back from a 2300 mile road trip with the LS and it was amazing, though the GS would have been great too. Good luck!

thank you for the input!
and wow congrats for the purchase!
157k miles with all services at dealer means great reliability! it's quite a deal.
btw did you have ball joints replaced? I'm not sure about LS but for 97-00 GS it's a common issue and might cause serious danger.

Actually I'm not really a fan of high mileage. but there isn't much option come with one owner/full service record. however it doesn't seem to be very competitive either, the guy have posted for 3 weeks and still haven't sold it yet so I would like to do some research before action.
it's $2500 for a 316k mile GS400. I think LS would have better reliability than GS for the higher standard. if it's some 220k miles I would definitely take it. but now I'm just not sure if I should go with missing record or high mileage but full record.... or just keep looking.
Old 07-16-17, 07:16 PM
suprababy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if nice condition buy it no problem with those bulletproof
Old 07-17-17, 12:58 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My GS4 is approaching 284k miles. It STILL runs so nice and smooth, doesn't hardly use any oil (I use Amsoil at 25k oil changes, still near the full line at 14k miles on this oil). It is STILL the smoothest engine I have ever seen, let alone had.

If in good shape, 300k is still not a problem. My goal is 400k or 500k....

BTW I bought my GS with 138k in Oct 2011. So I have over doubled the miles on it in less than 6 years.

Quick Reply: Buying a 98 GS400 with 250k miles... Am I crazy?