GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wont start/turn over

Old 03-27-17, 04:36 PM
dmsrated
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wont start/turn over

Hey Guys,

I recently had my 2001 GS 300 oil changed and was running great when I left the place. After couple day when to go start the car and now it won't start. Its making the noise like its going to start but just won't turn over. Its like so close to starting but won't turn over. Im not sure what it could be. Not sure if the shop did something so I would return for another issue. Theres gas and battery seems to be good to. But not sure now why it won't start all of a sudden. Any help, suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

D.
Old 03-27-17, 10:54 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not turning over means the starter is not rotating the crankshaft. Is that the case?

What do you mean battery seems good? Did you check the voltage of the battery with a meter? Did you take the cables off the battery and make sure they are clean and tight?
Old 03-28-17, 06:31 PM
dmsrated
Rookie

I just assume the battery is fine cause the lights and sounds come on when I insert the key. It's sounds like it's about to start but just won't turn. Could a fuse or anything cause this. The car was running just fine two days ago and now all of a sudden after the oil change, this happens.
Old 03-29-17, 08:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dmsrated
I just assume the battery is fine cause the lights and sounds come on when I insert the key. It's sounds like it's about to start but just won't turn. Could a fuse or anything cause this. The car was running just fine two days ago and now all of a sudden after the oil change, this happens.
dot assume anything, check the battery. it might just be to weak to start it but still have juice
Old 03-29-17, 09:29 AM
dmsrated
Rookie

So I got it to start and found what the issue was. This whole time I was using the master key since my other two key remotes broke. I had left the master key at my friends house and used the spare key to drive the car home and to get the oil changed. Afterwards the plastic broke off completely and was left just the metal key. So I was trying to start the car with the metal key and pliers the whole time. I figured Id try one last time with the second set, where the plastic is broken as well but still could grip to start....and wholaaaa.... the car started right away. So I guess the key part can't be touching any other metal or body parts....since I did try with my fingers alone...and needs the plastic....I don't know but so happy right now.....
Old 03-30-17, 03:36 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dmsrated
So I got it to start and found what the issue was. This whole time I was using the master key since my other two key remotes broke. I had left the master key at my friends house and used the spare key to drive the car home and to get the oil changed. Afterwards the plastic broke off completely and was left just the metal key. So I was trying to start the car with the metal key and pliers the whole time. I figured Id try one last time with the second set, where the plastic is broken as well but still could grip to start....and wholaaaa.... the car started right away. So I guess the key part can't be touching any other metal or body parts....since I did try with my fingers alone...and needs the plastic....I don't know but so happy right now.....
that's an important detail to leave out... the Lexus has a transponder inside the key. Without the transponder it will not start. It's a security feature.