GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another sad, mad accident/collision thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 08:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DWCOILE
My 2001 GS430

died may 2015. I walked away with no injuries
it looks like the ball joint snapped sending you into the retaining wall.... maintenance!
Old 03-29-17, 09:47 AM
JamieS29
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to see such a clean car in an accident. I can feel your pain, I was in two accidents last year and both GS430's were a total loss. My 2nd GS I only had for 5 days before some tool bag killed my car.

He rear ended me getting on the on ramp to the freeway, unfortunately I lost control of the car and did a pendulum swing and I came back around he t-boned me trying to get over to the fast lane. Car had frame damage, doors were smashed closed, etc. It was a mess and it was during rush hour traffic in the Bay Area on a Friday night.
Still on going in the sense it's going to court now.

Good luck with your insurance, I hope you get out of it what the car is worth and what you put into it. I had to provide receipts of the upgrades, etc to get money back. I loathe insurance and low life insurance claim adjusters.
Old 03-29-17, 01:45 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JamieS29
Sorry to see such a clean car in an accident. I can feel your pain, I was in two accidents last year and both GS430's were a total loss. My 2nd GS I only had for 5 days before some tool bag killed my car.

He rear ended me getting on the on ramp to the freeway, unfortunately I lost control of the car and did a pendulum swing and I came back around he t-boned me trying to get over to the fast lane. Car had frame damage, doors were smashed closed, etc. It was a mess and it was during rush hour traffic in the Bay Area on a Friday night.
Still on going in the sense it's going to court now.

Good luck with your insurance, I hope you get out of it what the car is worth and what you put into it. I had to provide receipts of the upgrades, etc to get money back. I loathe insurance and low life insurance claim adjusters.
This is the one you just got fixed up? If only you were local.. I would take your front seat. I contacted you about the leather skins, but ended up buying them local. Just tried swapping them out this past weekend and it was a huge pain. 6 hours and I was only able to get the back portion replaced. Couldn't figure out how to remove the bottom portion without taking EVERYTHING apart. Also sliced up 2 of my fingers...
Old 03-30-17, 06:48 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, it's very sad to see these cars smashed up like that. I may have to resort to legal action since the other guy's insurance is not even bothering to talk to me. Adjusters are scumbags. For those of you involved in a similar situation, beware about what's going on behind the scenes even if you are not at fault! They are waiting for you to bow down to their lowball payout.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...watchdog-rules
Old 03-31-17, 11:31 AM
DWCOILE
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
it looks like the ball joint snapped sending you into the retaining wall.... maintenance!
Funny you say that, every part of the front suspension was new and OE Lexus parts. Sad story. That week my ABS light came on due to a bad RT front speed sensor. I was going to fix it the following Monday, (accident was a Friday afternoon) but didn't make it. And most of us know when the ABS light comes on the VSC goes to default mode and turns it all off. I hydroplaned on I-75 South of Atlanta, went across 4 lanes of traffic hit a Semi truck in the fuel tank causing the truck jackknife, I was facing south and the trailer hit the front of my car and shot me back across the highway into the concrete median wall. It rested there for a while because the knuckle broke clean in two. Main impact to the wall was the driver front tire. All said parts and tires were only 2 weeks old . But no injuries and the truck straightened back up when the trailer hit me.So I guess in some respect yes it was a maintenance issue. The bad Speed sensor but I did get a good replacement 2005 GS430 only difference is this one has black interior where the wrecked 2001 was tan. I love the black interior, now I was able to get Aristo black wood

Last edited by DWCOILE; 03-31-17 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-31-17, 11:38 AM
DallasJhwk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DWCOILE, Sounds like a scary ride. You're lucky you walked away from it. BTW, probably no guarantee that having the ABS working would've stopped you from hydroplaning I would assume.
Old 03-31-17, 11:41 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow you're such an expert looks like it wasn't the ball joint based on what owner responded with above
Old 03-31-17, 01:58 PM
JamieS29
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
This is the one you just got fixed up? If only you were local.. I would take your front seat. I contacted you about the leather skins, but ended up buying them local. Just tried swapping them out this past weekend and it was a huge pain. 6 hours and I was only able to get the back portion replaced. Couldn't figure out how to remove the bottom portion without taking EVERYTHING apart. Also sliced up 2 of my fingers...
This is the one that we pulled everything out of and put my other one back together. I had a run of bad luck with in a month and half of each other. My first GS430 was hit by a Fed-ex delivery truck not paying attention and on his phone. They ended up totaling it out when it hit 70% of the estimate value of the car. It needed driver side fender, front bumper, new front suspension and two new headlights. Long story short, 8 months later my car got fixed with parts of off the 2nd GS (same color, more upgrades) and now I have a complete car again.

Wish you lived closer too so I could get these seats out of our shop, just taking up space!
Old 04-03-17, 12:11 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

My 2001 GS430

died may 2015. I walked away with no injuries
Funny you say that, every part of the front suspension was new and OE Lexus parts. Sad story. That week my ABS light came on due to a bad RT front speed sensor. I was going to fix it the following Monday, (accident was a Friday afternoon) but didn't make it. And most of us know when the ABS light comes on the VSC goes to default mode and turns it all off. I hydroplaned on I-75 South of Atlanta, went across 4 lanes of traffic hit a Semi truck in the fuel tank causing the truck jackknife, I was facing south and the trailer hit the front of my car and shot me back across the highway into the concrete median wall. It rested there for a while because the knuckle broke clean in two. Main impact to the wall was the driver front tire. All said parts and tires were only 2 weeks old . But no injuries and the truck straightened back up when the trailer hit me.So I guess in some respect yes it was a maintenance issue. The bad Speed sensor but I did get a good replacement 2005 GS430 only difference is this one has black interior where the wrecked 2001 was tan. I love the black interior, now I was able to get Aristo black wood
well your ok so thats all that matters

Originally Posted by plex
Wow you're such an expert looks like it wasn't the ball joint based on what owner responded with above
lol glad to see you back on the boards, wont ever forget your great incite like these gems
The following users liked this post:
DWCOILE (04-03-17)
Old 04-05-17, 08:26 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like the car held up well in the accident, any pictures of the other car?
Old 04-06-17, 08:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

well your ok so thats all that matters

lol glad to see you back on the boards, wont ever forget your great incite like these gems
Back on the boards? Didn't go anywhere. Great incite? I think you meant insight.
The following users liked this post:
DWCOILE (04-11-17)
Old 04-07-17, 09:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Just to get back on topic. I pulled the Levnson amp because the trunk is smashed and unsecured. Thinking along the lines of an Accord v6 coupe six speed. The last gs400 in my area got snapped up before I could even think about it sooo...
Old 04-08-17, 07:55 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by MattyG
Just to get back on topic. I pulled the Levnson amp because the trunk is smashed and unsecured. Thinking along the lines of an Accord v6 coupe six speed. The last gs400 in my area got snapped up before I could even think about it sooo...
I say hold out to find another, Accord V6 6spd coupe is nice but not on same level as a GS400 imo.
Old 04-11-17, 07:15 AM
DWCOILE
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MattyG
MattyG I have to agree with plex hold out man, the GS is just more fun! and looks better. I know I live a LONG ways away but there are nice rust free cars here in Atlanta for reasonable money. Hang in there man, glad you are ok.
Old 05-02-17, 04:49 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Well folks, another update and lesson in dealing with the devil. The other guy's insurance adjusters have now valued my GS430 at a mere $6250CAD. Nice. They used a really lazy assessor who went and looked at all of two Kijiji ads in eastern Canada and decided promptly that, that is all its worth. They are claiming that there aren't any of these cars of that exact model year with that engine to properly assess the value and asked me to send them examples of ads of similar cars.

I do that, showing them older GS300 cars for sale and the adjuster tells me, "it's not the same exact car". And one of those is asking $6950.00. Amazing. Just remember this when you figure out what you're paying for a car, because it's only worth about wholesale.

btw Canadians, the company I'm dealing with has a name that starts with "I". And they all use outsourced second tier adjusting and valuation companies.

Quick Reply: Another sad, mad accident/collision thread