GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Few Questions On 2003 GS430

Old 03-06-17, 07:53 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Few Questions On 2003 GS430

Let me start off by saying I moved from a 2nd gen GS300 to a 3rd gen GS last year, and despite my 2nd gen being a huge pain in my ***, I have found myself looking at a 2003 GS430 with 118k miles. Quick run down is its a silver on black 430 with nav, ML, factory chrome wheels, and a spoiler. As far as I can tell it has every option you could have put on a GS, that being said it has issues;
1. Rear door lock motors are toast
2. Front brakes are warped
3. Front right tire has wear on the outside and the car vibrates and pulls right hard when braking BUT on the highway the wheel is completely smooth
4. The nav screen works, but when on the map, only displays the warning screen with (english) and (ok) buttons highlighted.

My first question is are those ebay door lock actuators for like $40 a plug and play? Second, could warped rotors and a poor alignment likely the cause for issues 2&3? Finally, does the nav problem seem indicative of a bad disk, or a bad hard drive?

I know it seems like a lot, but the car runs incredibly well and even on the highway was smooth sans the pulling to the right (especially under braking) is originally from California, has no rust, and has a pretty immaculate interior and exterior for a pretty good price. No the timing belt has not been done, and neither have the ball joints, but I would get both done eventually. Side note, did later model GS's have as high a failure rate as the 98-01's? Thanks to anyone in advance for their input.
Old 03-08-17, 02:10 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Sounds like a good buy, those are low miles for that year. I have a 1999 GS400 with 224,000 miles and while it's had it's issues (especially with front rotors) the car is a beast. Yes, you will have to get the timing belt done eventually but don't let that dissuade you...I had my first TB/WP change at 120,000 miles. You'll be fine. Not sure about the Nav I know that some have the hard drive and not the disk like the later models.

I bet that car will drive like new with fresh rotors, ball joints and an alignment.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by kevin3344; 03-08-17 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 04:35 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

If it's still available when I come back from out of town, I'll bid him a low ball offer. I don't need the car, but figufd if I can get it cheap enough, it would be a good car to leave at the airport train station etc. thanks for the help
Old 03-09-17, 09:34 AM
sade04
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the brake rotors are an easy fix. The inner tire wear will most likely be solved by getting an alignment but do you know which suspension parts have been replaced, if any? No point in paying for an alignment first then refreshing your suspension and having to pay for an alignment again. You can get new rotors / ball joints (super important) / tie rods, etc off of rock auto fairly cheap. Also while everything is apart, consider new control arm bushings (both #1 & #2). An alignment wont do much if those bushings are shot. It'll be a small amount to pay to have the car feeling nice and tight.

good luck with purchase!

side note, what made you go back to the 2gs? In my eyes the 2gs is a classic and well respected platform that never really carried into the following generations. Although i'd love to drive a gs460 if I ever have chance.
Old 03-09-17, 10:11 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well it would be in addition to my 3GS, it's just a good deal and I figured worse case scenario I could pawn it off on a family memeber in the coming months and use it as a car, atllternitively with mine, for long trips. I liked my 2002, but every week it was something wrong despite having owned t from 60k and being serviced at the dealer, and it was probably the biggest pain in the *** I've ever experienced. Maybe I had a bad one, but I loved it when it was in working order, just hoping that's not the case with this one. That and it's a 430 with all the options also satisfies a lot of the issues I had with the last car
Old 03-09-17, 02:53 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

UNLESS that car is practically free, pass on it... it def hasnt been taken care of: bad brakes, needs timing belt and probably everything else you should do when you do a timing belt, door locks, nav ecu (this model doesnt use a harddrive)

all are minor but as a whole they are a lot because i'm skeptical, with the lack of the maintenance and the present issues what else has been neglected and yada yada
Old 03-09-17, 04:46 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With a TB/WP job not exactly cheap, I tend to agree with Sakataj. Unless you can get this for 3k, I would pass.
Sounds like it could be a stuck caliper on the right rear.
Old 03-09-17, 05:22 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Free is pretty optimistic coming from someone who was trying to sell his 430 for around $14k a few months ago haha. It would seem as if the car has been neglected, but to be honest, if I wasn't as meticulous as I was on my old GS, fixing stuff myself and had only done basic stuff like oil changes, (as most normal people do) my GS would have been in similar shape.

After pricing it out after all the repairs, including some other stuff such as spark plugs, initial purchase, and paperwork I'd could have a car with all the maintance done for under $6k which I think is a good deal for a road trip car, especially for what else Is out there for the money, so well see.
Old 03-09-17, 08:20 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Free is pretty optimistic coming from someone who was trying to sell his 430 for around $14k a few months ago haha. It would seem as if the car has been neglected, but to be honest, if I wasn't as meticulous as I was on my old GS, fixing stuff myself and had only done basic stuff like oil changes, (as most normal people do) my GS would have been in similar shape.

After pricing it out after all the repairs, including some other stuff such as spark plugs, initial purchase, and paperwork I'd could have a car with all the maintance done for under $6k which I think is a good deal for a road trip car, especially for what else Is out there for the money, so well see.
You made a valid point. Theres almost no cars out there with the reliability that the 2nd gen. has especially if all in your at about 6k. Make sure to check the transmission fluid condition. Thats the last thing you need is a burned up trans. once you get everything else sorted out. Not that the trans. is likely to be burned up though.
Old 03-14-17, 09:02 AM
Brahms
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Sakataj. It seems to me that when you buy a car this old, you're really assessing the owner. And this owner let his car go to ****.
Old 03-26-17, 04:39 PM
rorfan24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the door locks, I suggest buying Mabuchi door lock motors. They seem to last a lot longer than the stock ones. There is a very staightfoward diy on Youtube that makes changing these pretty easy. Good luck!