GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gs300 2nd gen/Aftermarket HID Fail Pass Side Fog light/ Driver side Low beam

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 04:34 PM
LexzG300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool gs300 2nd gen/Aftermarket HID Fail Pass Side Fog light/ Driver side Low beam

Whats up guys .I need your help on this one. A year ago I installed a Ebay HID kit ( I know not the best decision )BUT it actually was not bad looking< 9006 bulb 8000k 35w > for both low beam and fog lights. They all worked fine and I got many compliments . a year later ( last week) 12/03/16> My drivers side low beam went out so I thought no worries , I have extra bulbs Ill replace it and order more . I got home to do the test by taking my Pass side bulb ( working bulb) and changing sides but bulb did not light up. So ok no big deal its the ballast or the fuse . I then took the ballast from the Pass side and connected it and Nothing. In theory now I have a fuse or wiring issue. I connected the ballast back to the Pass side and nothing . Weird I took the ballast from my fog lights and Nothing ( at this point im blowing out the ballast when I connect them to the Drivers side low beam) I stopped there I knew something was wrong. I Blew 1 or 2 fuses for low beams and also 1 of 2 fuses for fog lights. Now I have 3 out of 4 ballast not working. WTF Ok so I got irritated and called it a night. Next day I install my original 9006 Sylvania bulbs factory and changed the blown fuses and everything is fine all 4 bulbs light up , fog and low beam back to the not so cool looking factory lights and not the end of the world ,I ordered 2 more 9006 HID kits this time 55w and waited for them to arrive. Ok here is the weird part and what I am going crazy over. I install the low beams both turn on , I install the FOG lights now ( PASS SIDE not operating) so 3 out of 4 now on and actually the Driver side FOG flickers then turn on and PASS side out . hmmmm maybe a bad ballast because the fog light were fine at the beginning the main issue that started the whole troubleshooting process was the Drivers side low beam. now the Pass side Fog. So I start testing again and end up checking all fuse good. and each time I plug a working ballast into the pass side fog I blow the ballast . Ok so if it WTF right? fuses good , I put factory 9006 Sylvania back on and they all turn on right away. Why the ballast are blowing ? Please help . I know already the ebay hid kits are not great
1st why did they last for a year and now give issues?
2nd why did the problem begin with Driver side Low beam out and now Pass side Fog light?
3rd why do all bulbs turn one immediately after installing the factory 9006 Sylvania with out changing fuses ?

please help
Old 12-12-16, 07:04 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

In short (cause I'm too tired to think of the right words lol) check your headlamp relay. I cant remember the sequence, but one headlight is on the same circuit as both fog lights, or one fog light is on the same circuit as both headlights. I believe its the first.

Lastly, how are you certain that the ballasts went bad? I cant see a ballast going bad that fast. I think you're triggering the relay with the ballast making you think its gone bad. I can probably bet your car came with halogens and not HID's from factory, probably the problem in addition to everthing else.

if you're certain the ballasts are bad, send them all to me I could use some spare ballasts
Old 12-12-16, 07:55 PM
LexzG300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Jokster thanks for the thoughts. So to make it simple , I know its a lot to think about lol . ok check it out. Im thinking the ballast are blowing why
(Low Beam/ Drivers Side = LB/DS # 1)
( Low Beam/ Pass Side = LB/PS #2)
( Fog Light/ Drivers Side= FG/DS #3)
(Fog Light/ Pass Side = FG/PS #4) you follow me?

Primary problem #1 turned off. took bulb from #2(currently working) placed on ballast # 1 still not light. Took ballast from #2(currently working) placed in position #1 and no light = Blew ballast??. Returned everything to previous place now both lights #1 originally out ( primary problem) still out Bulb ok and #2 out (second problem "was working fine until plugged
in position #1" now not working blew ballast?). that's how I need something wrong here, took a risk and placed one of the fog kits don't remember of # 3( currently working) or #4(currently working) and placed it in position #1 = No light , returned to previous position now= not working ( blew ballast? ) I then only had 1 ballast left and connected it to the #2 position LB/PS and tested all bulbs = all passed ( turn on) so im left with 3 non operational ballast 4 good bulbs 1 good ballast . you understand? I blew some fuses yes I replaced all fuses and during the waiting time for the new kits to arrive I installed my 4 factory halogen bulbs . I was worried that when I will turn low beams#1& #2 and fogs #3 &#4 that some or all will fail but to much surprise and aggravation they ALL TURNED ON!!! WTF so the issue is not electric flow because they are all turning on. I have not measured current with a voltmeter yet but still power is there at all 4 positions. So in theory ok not sure what happened but ill wait to see when I install the new kits what happens then.

I order 2 9006 hid kits and when they arrive

I install all ballast and bulbs #1 LB/DS #2 LB/PS #3 FG/DS ( ARE ON) . # 4 FG/PS (IS NOT).
so to test it ...... I switch position from #4 FG/PS( not working) to position #3 FG/DS (currently working) and (NOW BOTH ARE OFF /NOT WORKING) I reverse position again and still Both are not working. so by switching positions I am actually somehow what I would call ( blowing the ballast) make any sense?

At first the Low Beam test blew the ballast now the Fog test is blowing them too) Irritated . So I check fuses all good! put the halogens back in All 4 work . I don't know why this is happening. I read the installation for the HID saying to use a 20 amp fuse maybe this is why. because the Low beam #1 & 2 use a 15 amp , and the FG/DS #3 uses a 15 amp and FG/PS #4 uses a 10 amp. but now im out of ballasts lol I have 2 working ones connected to my low beams but will experiment with them too. What do you think?
Old 12-13-16, 02:09 PM
thoiboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****ty ballast = ****ty results. Also I would use an aftermarket relay like Morimoto's from TheRetrofitSource if you're going aftermarket HID..