GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 Rear Main Seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 05:16 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation GS400 Rear Main Seal leak

Hi Experts,
need some desperate help - quote for replacing 1998 GS400 Rear Main Seal is $800-$1000. Knowingly having to monitor the oil level, what is the potential impact of not repairing besides oil dirtying these parts of the car?

Old 10-17-16, 07:52 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

who ever told you that your rear main seal is the source of the oil leak is a moron or trying to rip you off. clearly I can see your valve cover gaskets are leaking right off. and since on planet earth, gravity is in effect, you should probably replace the valve cover gaskets and tube seals first, degrease the entire engine, than reevaluate the remaining oil leaks. and replace your pcv valve.
Old 10-17-16, 09:04 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I doubt it's the rear seal. I thought the same on my 300 and it was a leaky crank seal and a bad cam seal. My valve has leaked many time. The best thing to do is track the oil trail from the top.
Old 10-18-16, 03:46 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by badblackgs
who ever told you that your rear main seal is the source of the oil leak is a moron or trying to rip you off. clearly I can see your valve cover gaskets are leaking right off. and since on planet earth, gravity is in effect, you should probably replace the valve cover gaskets and tube seals first, degrease the entire engine, than reevaluate the remaining oil leaks. and replace your pcv valve.
valve cover gasket meaning the main one under the hood and on top of the engine? And where is the tube seal? Thanks.
Old 10-18-16, 03:48 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

and how do you clearly see the valve cover gaskets are leaking right off? Impressive but trying to understand - thanks again
Old 10-18-16, 04:03 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

please don't take offense but its time to take it to a reputable mechanic. someone familiar with our cars. the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals can be challenging for some people and it needs to be done right to ensure a good repair. if your sure you want to tackle this, than I'm sure you can find some videos on youtube.
Old 10-18-16, 04:06 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

please don't take offense but its time to take it to a reputable mechanic. someone familiar with our cars. the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals can be challenging for some people and it needs to be done right to ensure a good repair. if your sure you want to tackle this, than I'm sure you can find some videos on youtube.
ya I appreciate that. I don't want to tackle, I want to be sure whatever work done is the right area of work.
Old 10-19-16, 02:26 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

You were right - the oil can be seen when looking under the hood to the front left and right of the engine block. What I misunderstood was that I was told there are front and rear valve cover gaskets and that the rear is more labor intensive (the context was still topside, not the rear main seal as I misinterpreted). So that part is a bit of a relief really, but now to change the valve cover gaskets, which still is going to be hundreds of dollars (waiting for firmer estimate).
Old 10-20-16, 03:33 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by airahcaz
You were right - the oil can be seen when looking under the hood to the front left and right of the engine block. What I misunderstood was that I was told there are front and rear valve cover gaskets and that the rear is more labor intensive (the context was still topside, not the rear main seal as I misinterpreted). So that part is a bit of a relief really, but now to change the valve cover gaskets, which still is going to be hundreds of dollars (waiting for firmer estimate).
once again... the person who wrote up the estimate for your repairs are retarded. your engine is a rear wheel drive setup. so therefore, your valve cover gaskets are the same in relation to repairs. the front and rear jargon is for a front wheel drive setup. the engine is rotated 90 degrees to allow for the transmission. that being said, your valve cover gasket repairs should cost the same for each side. and theres no need to replace any intake gaskets incase they try to hit you with that.
Old 10-20-16, 03:34 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

once again... the person who wrote up the estimate for your repairs are retarded. your engine is a rear wheel drive setup. so therefore, your valve cover gaskets are the same in relation to repairs. the front and rear jargon is for a front wheel drive setup. the engine is rotated 90 degrees to allow for the transmission. that being said, your valve cover gasket repairs should cost the same for each side. and theres no need to replace any intake gaskets incase they try to hit you with that.

Thanks - what should I expect to pay that is fair?
Old 10-21-16, 09:13 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

For VC gaskets; no more than 2 hours labor plus parts.

Good luck...
Old 10-21-16, 09:23 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Mine were a few hundred bucks if I remember correctly. My recommendation is get them done asap, you'll see a huge difference not to mention you won't be using as much oil. I would be stopped at a light and you could see the fumes burning off the engine block from the leak lol. After that nothing...probably one of the best things I've done was to have those fixed.
Old 10-21-16, 09:35 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

How much are parts? Meaning is there a valve gasket kit?
Old 10-21-16, 09:45 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm sure the individual gaskets are cheap (probably $20 apiece?) but it's the labor that's the primary cost. I had mine done at the dealer if I remember correctly.
Old 10-21-16, 02:37 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone. (Toyota) Dealer (with Technician from Lexus) will do with two hours labor so I'm going ahead with them doing. I really appreciate all your valuable input. Thanks.

Quick Reply: GS400 Rear Main Seal leak