GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

hid headlamp assembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 07:24 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Default hid headlamp assembly

My 98 gs4 originally came with non hid, i bought 05 gs430 headlamps and added aftermarket hid bulbs and ballast and seems like its blinding incoming traffic, i wanna remove the bulbs and put in non hid regular lights, go back to non hid bulbs in an hid headlamp assembly is this possible?
Old 10-03-16, 12:16 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Sell your HID lamps and buy non-HID lamps. The HID models are worth a fair bit more anyways, so you will probably come out on top in addition to having the correct headlight assemblies.
Old 10-03-16, 12:55 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I think you need to clarify what exactly you were trying to do. Your info seems to be missing some essentials. I think you might think certain things are different that arent.

There are no visual differences between the hid and non hid housings, so my question is, why are you wanting 'hid housings' with halogen bulbs? I'm thinking that you think the hid housings are the green tint headlights thus the reason you want to keep them... But this is not true. The green headlights are standard to the 01-04 GS with or without hid. Also, you didnt clarify if you bought 05 hid housings or 05 NON hid housings

As for the reason for the blinding (the main difference between the hid and non hid housings) the reflector bowls are different on the hid housings in which it creates a cutoff as a projector would. If you look closely, you'll see etches on the chrome which guides the light in the proper position. 99.9% of people think putting HID's on anything is legal and the same as oem... but its NOT. HID's are yes, MUCH brighter, but that causes a completely different reflection pattern than a halogen bulb, this is why a halogen bowl with an HID bulb in it shines the light EVERYWHERE!

I'm pretty certain the 05 housings you got are halogen (not hid), just buy halogen bulbs and you'll be fine. The HID housings have a lot of equipment on them that dont plug into a non hid GS.
Old 10-03-16, 01:11 PM
lextout
Racer

i beleive all 2001-2005 gs's came with hid as standard? but mine is a 98

mine due have a minor greenish hue to it,

basically i wanna put halogens in it and if it will aim right

thanks everyone for your input
Old 10-03-16, 02:39 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

No, HID was not standard.
Old 10-03-16, 04:28 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Auto-leveling HID was standard on the GS430.
Old 10-03-16, 05:35 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

That 'greenish hue' is the bezel not the lights.
Old 10-05-16, 11:11 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Do not listen to the above statement, its completely false... I've been doing this for too long of a time. In this picture you can clearly see the 4 sections that redirects the beam to create a cut-off for on-coming traffic. As for the shield, they BOTH have them, its to cutout the hotspot as well as redirect all output to the reflector bowl. Only the high beams (on any car) doesnt have shields.

EDIT: The "above" statement was deleted...

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 10-10-16 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 02:30 PM
lextout
Racer

great thx jokster, problem solved. im rockin the halogens now. Imo theres no substitute for the oem hid's, aftermarket hid's just dont cut it.
Old 10-05-16, 05:40 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure you have the correct bulbs for the OEM HID housing? I do not and the beam pattern is different. I would not say by much, but....
I bought from a vendor I have used and they are meant for projector housings. The only difference is some painted area on the OEM bulbs that clocks a bit of light.
D2R vs D2S

Also, are you sure they were aimed correctly?

Last edited by AmanO; 10-05-16 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 08:34 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The only difference between the d2r and d2s is one is for reflector bowl and one is for projector and of course the 'notches' for them to mount... Nonetheless, no matter what bulb you use, if you dont have a housing made for projectors, you ARE going to blind everyone and 100% is illegal! There is no proper/legal way to add HID's to a non HID headlight setup. You can re "aim" your beams, but defeats the purpose and will still blind people. The amount of 'aiming' needed to be done will actually make you loose visibility. OEM reflector bowls spreads the output all over the place.

OP. If you want better output, you may want to look into the Sliverstars by Sylvania. They're a bit pricey, but they do give a slight better output as well as a nice 5000k color. Also, not sure how much of a DIY you are, but look into a retro fit for best results. If you decided to go with the ugly ebay projector setups remember, those are NOT HID projectors, they are halogen projectors.

For anyone reading this, there is a LOT of info when it comes to running HID's. Dont be the ignorant moron thinking HID's can go in anything.
Old 10-08-16, 09:05 PM
Tank
Racer

Default .............................

Originally Posted by mr jokster
the only difference between the d2r and d2s is one is for reflector bowl and one is for projector and of course the 'notches' for them to mount... Nonetheless, no matter what bulb you use, if you dont have a housing made for projectors, you are going to blind everyone and 100% is illegal! There is no proper/legal way to add hid's to a non hid headlight setup. You can re "aim" your beams, but defeats the purpose and will still blind people. The amount of 'aiming' needed to be done will actually make you loose visibility. Oem reflector bowls spreads the output all over the place.

Op. If you want better output, you may want to look into the sliverstars by sylvania. They're a bit pricey, but they do give a slight better output as well as a nice 5000k color. Also, not sure how much of a diy you are, but look into a retro fit for best results. If you decided to go with the ugly ebay projector setups remember, those are not hid projectors, they are halogen projectors.

For anyone reading this, there is a lot of info when it comes to running hid's. Dont be the ignorant moron thinking hid's can go in anything.
lmao..............
Old 10-08-16, 09:06 PM
Tank
Racer

They also have different projector brackets to make the retro (if your doing it) easier..
Old 10-10-16, 07:59 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If OP has OEM HID housings and is blinding people, there are only two reasons for this. The wrong bulbs or they are aimed poorly. Period.
Well, a 3rd. If he got a 55watt kit.

If he really is blinding people, I would say they are aimed too high. If it looks like your high beams are on when your lows are on, it is an aiming issue.

People LOVE to cry about being blinded by headlights when it is just really the way they are set up from factory or the elevation changes. Unfortunately, manufacturers do not seem to have many regulations when it comes to design. Seems stupid on more than one level. You would think they would not want to keep spending money developing different refractors for each vehicle. Also, with all the emphasis on safety, you would think there would be more strict on output, both for the drivers visibility and comfort/distraction of other drivers.

AFA the D2s vcs D2R, yea, that was my whole point. They are different. He may have had the wrong ones.
Old 10-10-16, 07:23 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

LoL Ignorance is embarrassing, so is stupidity. You need to educate yourself son... There are laws saying no matter what, HID's are illegal unless the car is equipped for them. Its simple physics man!

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 10-10-16 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: hid headlamp assembly