GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

PASsed NYS inspection with pending EVAP failS

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 03:45 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Default PASsed NYS inspection with pending EVAP failS

Found a way to pass NYS state inspection with a pending EVAP fail. (MIL will light up after ECU test)
(This worked for me. Hope it works for you but don't blame me if it doesn't..)

Inspection and registration have been expired for over a year (I've been working on some upgrades). But good ol' NYS DMV will not let you renew your registration with out passing an inspection. My battery was disconnected while I was working on the car. Got some stuff done and was ready to get the car back on the road. reconnected the battery and went for an inspection. FAILed because the monitors were not ready. (didn't drive it long enough for ECU to perform emissions tests).
For those of you that don't know your car's ECU performs tests periodically on emissions. The tests or 'monitors' along with the MIL light are what determine if your car will pass or fail the emissions portion of the NYS inspection. If the monitors are in a 'not ready' status (dead battery, MIL light reset) your car will fail inspection.
Now after receiving my 10 day extension I took my car for a ride. Drove about 35 miles to make sure ECU runs emissions tests. was all happy in **** cause the GS was driving well after adding a slew of suspension, engine and interior upgrades and BAM! MIL light bright as day lit up on the dash. DAMN! time for the scanner.
The dreaded P0441, and P0446 code on the scanner screen. Checked the monitors too and all of them were in a 'ready' status except for EVAP. EVAP is the monitor for the fuel evaporative emissions on your car.

Research time.
(as most of you know) P codes led me to the EVAP system particularly the VSV's. (Vent Solenoid Valves) checked the on under the engine, (couldn't get to the one under the intake at the moment) and checked the one attached to the charcoal canister that one was good too.
****. was running out of time on my extension (they wouldn't have given me another one) so I continued my research to get my *** out of this bind.
Turns out IN NYS you can still pass emissions inspection with ECU monitors in a not ready status. Yes, depending on the year of your car and as long as the MIL IS NOT ILLUMINATED you can still pass inspection with two monitors in not ready status for cars 1996 to 2000 and one monitor in a not ready status for cars 2001 and up.

Hmmmm.
Further research revealed the conditions and moments the ECU performs these monitor tests. For the EVAP TEST; the ECU will check for EVAP emissions at 3/4 AND 1/4 FULL TANK. The ECU will AUTOMATICALLY check EVAP AT A 'HOT START' meaning after your car has reached operating temp if you turn the car off and turn it back on the ECU will run the EVAP test. If you have a FAULT IN EVAP THIS WILL ILLUMINATE THE MIL. LOOP HOLE FOUND!
Had no time to chase an EVAP issue so I reset the DTC's and the MIL light, FILLED MY TANK, went for another drive, came back home, checked for DTC's and MONITORS all were ready except EVAP. (P0446 pending.. haunting..) Parked the car waited a few hours until I could go for another inspection. I decided to go for it and give my research some validity. Started the car (after 4 hours, No hot start) and no MIL light. I was ALMOST at 3/4 tank so I filled up real quick at the gas station around the corner and went to the inspection station.
I DID NOT TURN THE CAR OFF AT ANY TIME FROM THE COLD START UNTIL I GOT HOME. Filled up, went to the inspection station pulled right up nobody ahead of me (kool!!).
I presented my inspection extension, they hooked up the DMV scanner and BOOM! PASSED!!! now I can get my Reg and take my time with this EVAP crap.

Things to follow if you need to try this:
#1 Fill tank
#2 Reset MIL light and monitors (If you have more than the required monitors in a 'not ready' status depending on your model year you will FAIL the inspection).
#3 Drive car for ECU to Make ready or not ready status on all monitors (Do not go past a 3/4 Tank or MIL will light up)
#4 DO NOT TURN THE CAR OFF. (If you turn the car off and turn it back on the MIL light will be on!)

*I tried this only after failing the first inspection. The safety portion was all ready finished so they didn't have to (and I wouldn't have let them..lol) turn off my car and any point.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Tank; 08-07-16 at 08:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lex00 (01-23-23)
Old 07-25-16, 09:51 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow!
We rreeeeeeaaaaaallly need a thanks button on this site.
Can't say this enough!

Went through this a couple years ago with my old GS300.
Had the exact same problem but took a different route....

Had I would have seen this, I would have saved about 500.00 in parts/labor costs

Old 08-01-16, 07:32 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Wow!
We rreeeeeeaaaaaallly need a thanks button on this site.
Can't say this enough!

Went through this a couple years ago with my old GS300.
Had the exact same problem but took a different route....

Had I would have seen this, I would have saved about 500.00 in parts/labor costs