GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Power Folding Mirror switch Bezel part numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 05:14 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Aristo(rhd) switch panel is totally different from the GS(lhd). It is smaller and just a totally different set up. The Aristo panel only has a card/coin holder at the bottom. The GS has a coin holder and the e-brake release on the bottom. I hope this makes sense, sorry no pics.
Old 05-16-16, 05:15 PM
ericherm1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
ANYWAYS back on subject. OP, have you tried searching yahoo Japan to find the whole switch (i assume you can move the switch bezel from RHD to the LHD but if not, why not buy a spare OEM LHD switch bezel and dremel it. you briefly mentioned it earlier in the post but since the folding mirrors wasnt a option for LHD you wont find a LHD switch bracket that holds the switch

the bezel ATL has is it all cut out? if not your not gonna find one for a LHD unit

sorry what im saying is wont this bezel just slide into the LHD or are the edges to sharp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-TOYOTA-A...FVlbwK&vxp=mtr

so you could pull this out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-05-LEXUS-...hUTDWr&vxp=mtr

and insert the first one? im sure this could be made to work fairly easily

hmmm they have a nifty little coin box UNDERNEATH instead of by the side like we have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-TOYOTA-J...lVhMp0&vxp=mtr

No sir, the RHD bezel is about 1" too short. Reasoning is the parking brake on the RHD models is left of the steering wheel where as the bezel is on the right side.

LHD cars the parking brake and the mirror switch is on the left side of the steering wheel.

I thought the same thing too so I bought the bezel with the coin holder and realized it wouldn't fit.

Here's an example of the RHD version, notice the e-brake on the left and the mirror switch on the right. The areas are smaller than LHD version.

I don't know who's car this is but thanks for the pic and thanks for the example!

Last edited by ericherm1; 05-16-16 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 08:15 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 77i9
The Aristo(rhd) switch panel is totally different from the GS(lhd). It is smaller and just a totally different set up. The Aristo panel only has a card/coin holder at the bottom. The GS has a coin holder and the e-brake release on the bottom. I hope this makes sense, sorry no pics.
Gill, i posted a pic on the 3rd link

Originally Posted by ericherm1
No sir, the RHD bezel is about 1" too short. Reasoning is the parking brake on the RHD models is left of the steering wheel where as the bezel is on the right side.

LHD cars the parking brake and the mirror switch is on the left side of the steering wheel.

I thought the same thing too so I bought the bezel with the coin holder and realized it wouldn't fit.
so why not buy the JDM one and "extended it" then dye or paint it to match

Last edited by sakataj; 06-02-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 08:51 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Gill, i posted a pick on the 3rd link

Please see post #3 in this thread. I updated it with pics of the OEM LHD bezel with folding mirror switch. It is totally different than the RHD bezel. Notice the fold on the top of the LHD bezel where as the RHD is flat with more curved upper corners.

I guess you could cut and extend but that is a question you have to ask yourself if it's worth your time and if you even have the skill to do it.

For me I have the skill, it was just not worth my time and having the OEM feel in my opinion is the better option.

Now it's time to figure out how to wire the factory switch outside the body module. Why, because I want the factory switch!
Old 05-17-16, 10:18 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Quick question for all the folding mirror and electrical guru's out there.

Is the factory switch (-) or (+) triggered? I know from forum research the body control module is default ground. So with that being said would the factory switch be (+) triggered?

Need to figure this out so I don't blow stuff up with my relay build. I figured I'd just wire a couple relays together. I have plenty laying round from previous builds and projects.

Anyone?
Old 05-17-16, 02:04 PM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

Gill, i posted a pick on the 3rd link

Weren't you *just* ****ting on the other guy for doing something other than using a clean 100% OEM fitted switch? Besides, it's easy enough to dye black interior parts, but good luck having a nice match with the tan. I'm really glad this resource is available for people like myself who prefer to use OEM or OEM looking parts for stealthy installs. I probably would never have considered doing power folding mirrors if a LHD OEM switch were unavailable.
Old 05-18-16, 12:34 PM
ericherm1
Driver

***UPDATE***

Please check out the first page. I updated it with some schematics and more pictures.

I figured the relay thing out without having to use DPDT relay. I didn't have one laying around but I had a ton of left over 5 pin relays so botta bing botta boom.

BUT my motor fried during testing.

Could this be due to a weak aged motor?
Does the JDM Toyota mirror motors have built in relays to cut power when folded or unfolded like Honda and Nissan does?
Does the circuit require the motors to be neutral when not in use?
Could they have fried because of constant power being fed to them?

All these questions running through my head and hoping someone out there has any experience with these issues.

I'm not in a position to be buying mirror motors left and right just to test this crap.

Last edited by ericherm1; 05-18-16 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 02:02 PM
ericherm1
Driver

Scratch that.. wife's pissed but I ordered a Honda power folding mirror relay and a new used set of folding mirrors from Japan.

This is the last try. The relay schematic I posted works it just pushes power all the time when the cars on. I think that is what burned up the mirror motor. Anyway I still have the passenger side mirror to work with so when I get the Honda relay I'll mess with that and if I get it working without burning up I'll post the schematic. I already drew it up but hesitant to post with testing.

Now the waiting game.... come on mail man!!!
Old 05-18-16, 02:39 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

erichern,

Just to let you know. When you receive your new folding mirrors. Do not use them much. I mean, close them and open them. Those motor on the mirrors coming from Japan just a little tired and older. Before installing the mirrors on your car, try this first. With a new 9V battery using the blue wire and the green wire and try to open or close it. Reverses the two wires on the battery to open or close it. Again, do not get very happy when you install the mirrors and use more than 2 or 3 times the same day. You can burn thise motor berry easy as I mentioned before. These motor folding mirrors in Japan the guys use them a lot and burn very fast in our hands. Treat them with love the early days. LOL

It is my humble opinion and best recommendation for you. Good luck.
Old 05-18-16, 02:45 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Also, I mention here before, that I have a extra set for sell with new motor on it.
Old 05-21-16, 08:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

A Pic of the new Taiwan LHD switch bezel installed:

ahh, i didnt understand that they made a LHD bezel actually for this

Please see post #3 in this thread. I updated it with pics of the OEM LHD bezel with folding mirror switch. It is totally different than the RHD bezel. Notice the fold on the top of the LHD bezel where as the RHD is flat with more curved upper corners
yeah i see, i would go with the OEM LHD one also, i just didnt realize they made one

Originally Posted by firelizard
Weren't you *just* ****ting on the other guy for doing something other than using a clean 100% OEM fitted switch? Besides, it's easy enough to dye black interior parts, but good luck having a nice match with the tan. I'm really glad this resource is available for people like myself who prefer to use OEM or OEM looking parts for stealthy installs. I probably would never have considered doing power folding mirrors if a LHD OEM switch were unavailable.
no, i was dumping on him for that junkie looking wiring job he did AND the fact that he soldered straight onto a peanut relay (which will burn up with heat very easily) instead of making a wiring harness or a spade connector/jumper...also i never said anything about not modifying a panel, im not against that either i have made panels for my car but he didnt use a panel, he literally installed a toggle switch (see below) which IMHO looks junky in our car.
Originally Posted by Mcon

This is where I install the switch

i have had a toggle switch in the car and i ALWAYS noticed it no matter how low i put it

Originally Posted by Mcon
Those motor on the mirrors coming from Japan just a little tired and older
i agree with this,but IMO i would replace the motor when i got them just to be sure. i would wanna do this myself though so i know it was done correctly (no offense to anyone but i know when i do things i dont cut corners, a LOT of shops i have had work from def cut corners)
Old 05-21-16, 02:45 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OP, did you wire the side markers as turn signals?
Old 05-22-16, 03:38 PM
ericherm1
Driver

Originally Posted by AmanO
OP, did you wire the side markers as turn signals?
? I'm only doing the folding mirrors. I'm not doing the LED signal mirror covers.

But, if I did I would run them straight to the signal wires off the steering column turn signal switch. It's safer to keep the wires in the cabin than running them through the firewall up to a signal wire.
Old 05-22-16, 04:42 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

ericherm1,
I'm only doing the folding mirrors. I'm not doing the LED signal mirror covers.

But, if I did I would run them straight to the signal wires off the steering column turn signal switch. It's safer to keep the wires in the cabin than running them through the firewall up to a signal wire.

That was exactly what I did. Very good point ericherm1.
Old 05-22-16, 05:25 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by firelizard
firelizard,

First of all,
Thank you for your words. I really appreciate it. But apparently some members of this forum only read part of the post and then start make comments that do not come to the subject. I did this over two years ago without any knowledge that there was this forum and any kind of help. Not like other people using friends and workshops to make things work in own car. Everything you see in my car, I just have done myself. Handedly and all I can not give to my car is alignment.

Also, finished saying in one of my previous post that since installing this power folding mirrors, wires and switch. I do not had any kind of problem with the switch, with mirrors or with the turn signal light. Also, I include myself that I install the new motors into the mirror system without any help or information from NOBODY.

Also, 2, YESSSS 2 member of this forum that I will not want to mention the names because it has not given me permission to do so. But, I helped step by step in how to do this and both are very grateful for having taken step by step through the installation of their power folding mirrors.

Quick Reply: Power Folding Mirror switch Bezel part numbers