GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

03' GS300 stalls after filling up gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 09:45 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03' GS300 stalls after filling up gas

I was running low on petro yesterday while driving to work. I decided to fill up at lunch break, my gas light kicked ON when I fired her up. I picked up some lunch then rolled to the nearest Shell gas station, filled up with some regular 89 Octane, I always used 89 in the past with no issues, I know Premium is a few more dollars but I'm a cheapskate and like saving that extra dollar.

While driving back to work which is like 1/4 mile away, my car started idling rapidly, surging from around 300-1000rpm then it stalled. This never happened in the past. This is tough to diagnose because there is NO check engine light, no pending codes and I didn't have any problems with the car except that I felt it didn't have that power/torque it had a few months when I purchased it 8 months before.

I searched and someone said it can be the charcoal canister? A p0441, incorrect Purge flow came up on a search but no one responded clearly. These searches where 4-6 years ago, I like to know if someone had any issues like this and found a fix? Any help would be great.

Last edited by 6SOARER; 02-23-16 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 05:55 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Seems like years of trying to save literally only $1.90 on each tank has finally caught up. I dont get why people do this when the car clearly states use premium only. Throw some fuel system cleaner like seafoam or something and hope its just the system clogged up.
Old 02-24-16, 05:17 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

If you don't have a check engine light, you're not throwing a code, unless your CEL is burnt out.
Old 02-24-16, 06:41 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Throw some fuel system cleaner like seafoam or something and hope its just the system clogged up.
Seafoam is the absolute worst thing you can put in a car with O2 sensors.

Using regular fuel instead of premium is not causing this issue. All fuel grades have the same additives by law.
Old 02-29-16, 05:49 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left the car sitting for a few days with the fuel cap off, I then drove around hwy/city for over 160 miles to burn some of the 87 gas. I didnt have any issues driving it this time, it didn't stall at all. I then filled the tank up with some 91 Chevron along with some techron fuel additive.

Once i pulled out of the gas station, the GS started to act up again, it started to stutter a little, then cut off twice before i got home. It seems like it stalls only when I fill her up FULL. I noticed when i crank her up in the morning just to see if she continues to stall, theres a high pitch sound coming from the bottom driver side fuel tank. When i bang on the tank, the noise goes away. It doesnt stall on cold starts, only when its completely warm and most of the the time when the AC is ON. Strange!?? Im thinking it has to do with pressure, either too much or too little.

Anyways, Im planning on replacing the fuel pump along with the filter. Would a Walbro 255LPH fuel pump work good for a replacement? I see guys use this a lot on gte or na-t swaps. Would it be suffice for normal day driving?

I was looking around for prices, factory Denso fuel pump is expensive($160), are there any other alternative fuel pumps similar that i can use but not so pricey like the Walbro? If not, would anyone know the Denso part # fuel pump that we need for our GS? Theres a few Denso fuel pumps on Ebay but i like to know buy the proper one.

Last edited by 6SOARER; 03-01-16 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-06-16, 03:46 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Car maybe just gave up from using that mid grade gas, just fill er up with premium and add a bottle of that chevron with techron fuel system stuff and see what happens.
Old 03-31-16, 07:15 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you are overfilling your tank and is getting into th e canister and when the purge vale kicks on raw fuel is getting into the engine. This would only happen at idle or low speed. Do you stop filling when the pump click ?
Old 04-01-16, 11:58 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 6SOARER
I noticed when i crank her up in the morning just to see if she continues to stall, theres a high pitch sound coming from the bottom driver side fuel tank. When i bang on the tank, the noise goes away.
The bottom drivers side of the tank is where the pump is sitting. You've got the classic fuel pump going bad symptom there. They don't always die suddenly, fuel pumps also die slow intermittent deaths as well as get louder when they are struggling.

Originally Posted by burteboy
I think you are overfilling your tank and is getting into th e canister and when the purge vale kicks on raw fuel is getting into the engine. This would only happen at idle or low speed. Do you stop filling when the pump click ?
This is a good point as well. Vehicles from about the last 15-20 years have charcoal evap canisters that are usually mounted lower than the gas filler necks and so one should defiantly not continue topping off at the pump once it clicks off, as when continuing to overfill it can start flooding the evap canister. Which is one reason alot of people also see the evap solenoids on the canisters commonly failing at relatively early mileage.
Old 11-19-22, 06:59 AM
mrmarkru
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Know old thread But

Originally Posted by 6SOARER
I was running low on petro yesterday while driving to work. I decided to fill up at lunch break, my gas light kicked ON when I fired her up. I picked up some lunch then rolled to the nearest Shell gas station, filled up with some regular 89 Octane, I always used 89 in the past with no issues, I know Premium is a few more dollars but I'm a cheapskate and like saving that extra dollar.

While driving back to work which is like 1/4 mile away, my car started idling rapidly, surging from around 300-1000rpm then it stalled. This never happened in the past. This is tough to diagnose because there is NO check engine light, no pending codes and I didn't have any problems with the car except that I felt it didn't have that power/torque it had a few months when I purchased it 8 months before.

I searched and someone said it can be the charcoal canister? A p0441, incorrect Purge flow came up on a search but no one responded clearly. These searches where 4-6 years ago, I like to know if someone had any issues like this and found a fix? Any help would be great.

I know this is an old thread and you probably don't even have the car anymore, but did you ever figure out it would stall after filling up?
Mine 2000 es300 does the same thing now.
I don't think it is the octane as it only happens after filling up
I wonder if I'm over filling the tank and will experiment with that, but did you figure it out?