GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Crystal clear & LOUD aux mod for stock sound system!DIY!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 03:07 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crystal clear & LOUD aux mod for stock sound system!DIY!

I found what the stock lexus sound system has been missing!! I have been wanting more volume and better sound out of the stock system. the 5$ aux mod was great, but lacked in speaker volume and clarity. the volume was soo low that i perfered using the tape cassette adapter over the aux mod so i could get full bass and volume out of my subwoofers and stock ML speaker.

Anyways i did the 5$ aux mod & realized it needed more signal from your ipod/smartphone/mp3 for the aux mod to be more loud and clear. How would we do that? I went through at least 20 different phone apps to increase the phones volume and non of them helped even a little! So i did some searching online & came to the conclusion that the signal needed to be amplified! I ran into this little device called the creative sound blaster E1, it said it was in store at my local frys electronics! The device is some sort of headphone amp and thought it could possibly increase my volume for my aux mod. I said what the heck! If it doesnt work i will return it! So i went to my local frys and got Myself this little device. I plugged it up and i instantly noticed the volume was Alot louder then it was previously! I ALSO noticed i was hearing sounds and bass notes that i never heard before! I grabbed the box and saw in the description that it also enhances sound QAULITY! Man oh man it wss such a world of difference! My friends were all shocked, it sounded better then their aftermarket sound system. & this was coming from my stock ML system. U will NOT be disappointed with this mod!

the steps are simple,
1, Do the 5.00$ aux mod,
2, place the e1 blaster in between your aux mod and phone/ipod

Name:  DBE623C6-6B22-4C5B-B14B-CEDD8DA5CAF9.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  240.9 KB

How i hooked it up, next step it to make some mounting brackets and hide all the wires

If you dont want to get rid of your navigation or get an aftermarket stereo I highly recommend doing this mod and you will thank me later! I wouldnt even want an aftermarket stereo, the stock system now gets more loud then my ears could take, and the quality sounds VERY studio like, i litteraly get lost in my music now. This is litteraly the best mod i have ever done in my LIFE not kidding. There is absolutely no distortion anymore and this is way cheaper then an aftermarket stereo or a grom unit. The E1 only costed me 30$ and they have an E3 that has bluetooth, i havent got that 1 yet, but i will purchase 1 in the future and see how it sounds via BT.
Old 02-02-16, 05:07 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing
Old 02-02-16, 07:23 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a guy on here that would mod the radio for $60 + $15 shipping and put a jack on the front of the radio. All you do is switch to FM and plug into the jack. Beats doing what you are doing by a long shot.

His ebay name is factoryradios. Contact him through one of his auctions for something that looks stock.

He can also be contacted here:
http://factoryradioservice.com/index.php

Last edited by bruceb58; 02-02-16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 04:46 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bruceb58
There was a guy on here that would mod the radio for $60 + $15 shipping and put a jack on the front of the radio. All you do is switch to FM and plug into the jack. Beats doing what you are doing by a long shot.

His ebay name is factoryradios. Contact him through one of his auctions for something that looks stock.

He can also be contacted here:
http://factoryradioservice.com/index.php
a long shot? I think u have things a tad twisted. I have seen that website, and for mine it is 95$ + shipping, that sets me back over 100$. On top of that i have not seen any reviews on how the quality sounds. All together what i did ended up being under 40$ and the sound quality is phenomenal. + i get the extra volume. As for the stock look i can place the auxiliary adapter in any location to keep It looking stock. The guy who created the 5$ aux thread basically did the same thing, just tapped into a different part of the system.
Old 02-03-16, 07:13 AM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

The sound quality of what's playing through your system will only be as good as the source coming in through the aux jack. Since most phones and portable players aren't typically going to have amazing sound circuitry built-in, any inline headphone amplifier should increase the signal coming from the device.

What are you doing to keep the E1 charged?
Old 02-03-16, 08:11 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 8M6
Exactly!

Best to do the mod that the guy at factoryradios does since he uses the radio's existing preamp section. Why buy a preamp when there is already one in the radio?
Old 02-03-16, 03:43 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 8M6
The sound quality of what's playing through your system will only be as good as the source coming in through the aux jack. Since most phones and portable players aren't typically going to have amazing sound circuitry built-in, any inline headphone amplifier should increase the signal coming from the device.

The e1 is being charged inside the glove box charger port. The battery doesnt last long so i turns itself off within hours and turns on instantly when i turn the car on. Charging it is not an issue.

Originally Posted by bruceb58
Exactly!

Best to do the mod that the guy at factoryradios does since he uses the radio's existing preamp section. Why buy a preamp when there is already one in the radio?
Im not knocking factory radios mod, as it is also a good solution for having a built in aux. but the 5$ aux was also spliced into a preamp section, If the radio has a preamp section then so does the cd. So the e1 would benifit in both situations with the factory radio mod and the 5 aux. the 5$ aux mod was a big thread and lots of people did it, the only complaint i heard of was low volume, and the e1 did its job to boost signal and fix that in my experience.
Old 02-03-16, 07:58 PM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

I quickly glanced at the $5 aux mod a long time ago and never really gave it much consideration because I did the JayNunu aux mod instead, so I don't recall what the $5 mod entails or why aux source loudness is an issue with it. I've never had volume issues with either of the two phones I've had since doing the JayNunu mod.

That said, thanks for mentioning this device anyway because I personally see another use for a headphone amplifier even if I won't be putting it in my car. My tablet's max volume is pathetically low especially when watching movies on an airplane and I don't have closed ear or noise-cancelling headphones, so I'll consider picking up one of these for the next time I travel.
Old 02-03-16, 08:08 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info and pic.