GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2000 gs400 wont start and ive already spent 900 trying to fix the problem!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 12:24 PM
ChrisLex87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 gs400 wont start and ive already spent 900 trying to fix the problem!!!!!!!

hello clublexus, i need some serious help. one day my car wouldn't start and my mechanic told me that it was the throttle body. i replaced that and the car ran for 4 days and now it wont start again!!!!! i changed the fuel pump and the car still wont start. im running out of ideas and money. its a damn shame my girl 99 civic runs better than my car and it only has 120,000 miles.

i did get a code p1349 and p1350 for vvt system malfunction bank 1 and bank 2 but the car should still start up shouldnt it???????

the car cranks but it wont start. i need help anybody for the love of god!!!!
Old 11-23-15, 01:11 PM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

get a new mechanic instead of tossing money and ideas around. If you arent sure of the problem and noone can help take it lexus and pay the 100$ diag fee than fix the problem they find.. Civics are civics i had one before my gs300 and it got stolen. Fk hondas
Old 11-23-15, 05:31 PM
ChrisLex87
Driver School Candidate

its only one lexus dealership in memphis, tn and they don't work on cars older than 10 years. the mechanic i went to is recommended by the lexus dealership because the guy used to work for them and he has his own shop now. he did fix the throttle body which was an issue also but i havent took it up there after it stop cranking after those 4 days because i cant get it to run. i though the clublexus community would have some suggestions because i would have to pay to get it towed and diagnosed and im starting to run low on funds messing with this stupid issue.
Old 11-24-15, 10:35 PM
flipmode64
Rookie

Whats the voltage on your battery right now?
Old 11-24-15, 10:51 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisLex87
don't work on cars older than 10 years.
A car manufacturer that is known for being reliable and the dealer wont repair older than 10 years? Whats a ****ty dealership.

Have you tried a Toyota dealership? They still order the parts from Lexus and follow the same books.
Old 11-24-15, 11:20 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

hello clublexus, i need some serious help. one day my car wouldn't start and my mechanic told me that it was the throttle body. i replaced that and the car ran for 4 days and now it wont start again!!!!! i changed the fuel pump and the car still wont start. im running out of ideas and money. its a damn shame my girl 99 civic runs better than my car and it only has 120,000 miles.

i did get a code p1349 and p1350 for vvt system malfunction bank 1 and bank 2 but the car should still start up shouldnt it???????

the car cranks but it wont start. i need help anybody for the love of god!!!!
its only one lexus dealership in memphis, tn and they don't work on cars older than 10 years. the mechanic i went to is recommended by the lexus dealership because the guy used to work for them and he has his own shop now. he did fix the throttle body which was an issue also but i havent took it up there after it stop cranking after those 4 days because i cant get it to run. i though the clublexus community would have some suggestions because i would have to pay to get it towed and diagnosed and im starting to run low on funds messing with this stupid issue.
So, you come on here a newbie, Welcome. You asked everyone for help, then you bash your own car and compare it to a Civic, like really? LOL

I really can't believe any Lexus dealer turning away your Lexus. There are people out there with 20 year LS, i seen service at Lexus all the time. Of-course this could be crappy Memphis town.. My car is one year older than yours I'm going to call them and check this out.. (I only seen a dealer turn away a car because, it was ready for a junkyard but still this rarely happens, I don't see them turning Money away..Something fishy here or something you're not telling us)

We get this all the time on here, new owners come on and complain how bad Lexus cars are, just trolling us. I've owned my GS400 almost 17 years now from new. Done every maintenance required, (never had a lick of problem ever! (knock on wood). The GS400 is known to be a tank and extremely reliable.. I seen a GS400 with over 580K miles on original parts and running awesome so theres no reason why your car shouldn't run well unless its been severely abused.

Like I said, I will check into this Lexus Dealer in Memphis, you know you can report them to Lexus corporate for turning you away, this is not how Lexus treats its people.

I hope you get your issue resolve.. but don't come on here comparing your lexus to a civic.. If you want to see what a clean lexus looks like that will run circles around a civic. I'll be happy to meet up with you.
Old 11-25-15, 06:00 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pfft. cant bash civics. theyre great cars.

what was happening with your gs before all this started?
Old 11-25-15, 06:17 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly doubt Lexus will turn you away... Also, take it to a toyota dealership instead of Lexus.
Old 11-25-15, 06:20 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, I just scheduled a repair appointment at 2600 Lexus of Memphis for a 2000 GS400 with 120k on it at Ridgeway Rd, Memphis, TN 38119 (901) 362-8833

So, you claim that they wont repair it is bull****.
Old 11-25-15, 07:42 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
So, you come on here a newbie, Welcome. You asked everyone for help, then you bash your own car and compare it to a Civic, like really? LOL

I really can't believe any Lexus dealer turning away your Lexus. There are people out there with 20 year LS, i seen service at Lexus all the time. Of-course this could be crappy Memphis town.. My car is one year older than yours I'm going to call them and check this out.. (I only seen a dealer turn away a car because, it was ready for a junkyard but still this rarely happens, I don't see them turning Money away..Something fishy here or something you're not telling us)

We get this all the time on here, new owners come on and complain how bad Lexus cars are, just trolling us. I've owned my GS400 almost 17 years now from new. Done every maintenance required, (never had a lick of problem ever! (knock on wood). The GS400 is known to be a tank and extremely reliable.. I seen a GS400 with over 580K miles on original parts and running awesome so theres no reason why your car shouldn't run well unless its been severely abused.

Like I said, I will check into this Lexus Dealer in Memphis, you know you can report them to Lexus corporate for turning you away, this is not how Lexus treats its people.

I hope you get your issue resolve.. but don't come on here comparing your lexus to a civic.. If you want to see what a clean lexus looks like that will run circles around a civic. I'll be happy to meet up with you.
Holy moly dude you have owned your car for 17 years!? That's commitment, nice to know we still have original members on here. I also agree the car is a tank, 8 years ago when i was 16 i beat the living ***** outa it, never changed the oil, and it still ran like new with over 150,000 miles after i sold it.

As for OP, check you maf maybe
Old 11-25-15, 09:29 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been meaning to change out my Brake booster with a newer one from a GS430, just spoke to one of the advisors there about changing/upgrading my 1999 Brake Booster for a newer one. They didn't even flinch, " yes, when do you want to bring it in".. Lexus of Memphis did not turn away my almost 17 year old car!!!

GSean: Yep, had her since 3 miles old. Never had one issue, then i bought another one 6 years ago with 18K miles, haven't had any trouble with the 430 neither. Driven it from GA to TX and TX to AZ a few times. These cars are perfection. I'm sure some people's car may have had problems but i honestly believe due to neglect or abuse. I can't believe its coming up 17 years in January. I ordered the car in November of 1998.. That's a long time ago.. (I usually only keep cars only 2-3 years max) There just something about these GS's that never bore me..

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 11-25-15 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-28-15, 06:22 PM
ChrisLex87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by luda42688
Also, I just scheduled a repair appointment at 2600 Lexus of Memphis for a 2000 GS400 with 120k on it at Ridgeway Rd, Memphis, TN 38119 (901) 362-8833

So, you claim that they wont repair it is bull****.
Dude why would I lying about taking my car to the lexus place so I can get it fixed lol. I didn't call them I went up to lexus of memphis and talked to them. They told me that they would run a diagnosis but wouldn't fix it because it was older than 10 years. Then they recommended me to take it to the guy that used to work for them. You must think I'm having fun not taking the car to lexus and having a broken down car smh.

I know a civic isn't better than a lexus because if that was the case I would've gotten a civic lol. It's a good car nontheless, I'm just frustrated as hell. I'm just wondering why in the world they would tell me that like they don't want to make money.
Old 11-29-15, 06:10 AM
La400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look to see if you have spark to plugs, remove 1 plug with coil over attached, crank engine to see if spark on plugs. Check the condition of this plug, when were all the plugs changed. The codes you are getting happens also when plugs are not firing.
Check to make sure that it is not flooding out. Check the ECU intake unit. You can check for flooding by cranking for a few moments then pull a plug to see if there is a lot of fuel smell to it and it look wet with fuel.
Your automotive basics still apply, spark, fuel, air. If all of this are still functioning correctly, then look towards
vvti system which is a small device located on right / left head banks, too have both go out at once is odd.
Check all fuses related to fuel and firing under the hood fuse box and cabin fuse box. With these cars it usually is something simple, I have owned many GS and 1 SC, still have a 98 model and 07 GS350, do most of the work myself if needs repairs, which is very rare. Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-15, 09:05 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Probably not with those two systems not functional...
Why not just make sure the two oil control valves are connected and your getting voltage to them.
Most likely they are done, replace and be done.

Lexus AND Toyota dealers do not turn away Lexus cars.
The mechanic you mention in your first post stole your money...

Last edited by FrankT; 11-29-15 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-29-15, 09:35 AM
La400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank T is right, will not start if they are not functioning properly, they control the cams positioning. Try taping on them slightly, maybe it has gotten stuck.
Had my not start one time, all of a sudden, no prior warning of sorts, gave same code as yours, pulled 1 unit, inspected, put old one back on, still was not it, inspected plugs on that bank, they did not look like they wre burning correctly, replaced plugs on that bank and it started just great no problem on it for years. It was either the unit or the plugs, can not really tell which or even which plug it was, if it was bad. I know there is a code for a misfiring plug and that did not come up, it was the vvti code.
Something else to consider is your engine immobilizer which is designed to shut off fuel and ignition if the vehicle detects invalid key.

Quick Reply: 2000 gs400 wont start and ive already spent 900 trying to fix the problem!!!!!!!