GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs300 swap??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 02:05 PM
Arnoldg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gs300 swap??

I'm swapping out my 2jz ge engine out of my gs300 because it leaked all the oil and ****ed up the bottom half of engine. My mechanic told me it would be cheaper to get a swap then do a rebuild. He showed me this 2jz that came out of a is300 01' my question is will that work well? Is it just like an easy swap or will he have to start ****ing with other wiring and also is it the right move to do the swap? He told me the engine is still good and I could do a rebuild, so I might just do that on the side so I can Learn more about cars. I feel like the mechanic is hooking me up but I'm not too familiar with cars and such.
Old 10-22-15, 10:13 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Arnoldg,

First, Welcome to the club.

Second, Go to another shop and see how much that shop charge you to fix you leak and seal it? That way you can see what is better for you. But, If you engine is good and can be fix the leaking issue, why you want to swap your engine? You already know what are you have in your engine, how the engine runs, right?

Third, In my opinion, it is better to fix whatever issue in your engine if you engine runs fine. To later on, found out that the "new engine" on your car, need another repairs as well and maybe more $$$ that your first issue with your engine. It make more sense, right?

Good luck no mare what you decide to do.
Old 10-23-15, 07:21 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Mcon, I would agree with you about fixing the leak but the OP stated his engine ran out of oil and needed a rebuild, hence his reasoning of swapping in a new engine.
Old 10-23-15, 09:27 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard somewhere in build threads IS Engine has weaker internal parts than the GS because of (weight difference most likely?) maybe someone can confirm this.
Old 10-23-15, 02:22 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd doubt it. It would take engineering resources that would end up costing more $$ to save nothing.

I would be REALLY surprised if they changed anything.

Now if you said GM? I'd say probably, they are stupid enough to do that, or were at one time... Tooling alone is sooo expensive (Millions!) for connecting rods or cranks, etc. It doesn't make much sense. My phrase for GM, penny wise, dollar stupid.... They earned that name....

Originally Posted by GS3KID
I've heard somewhere in build threads IS Engine has weaker internal parts than the GS because of (weight difference most likely?) maybe someone can confirm this.
Old 10-24-15, 11:19 AM
Gdwrench35
Driver

There are differences in the two engines, mainly electrical and mapping, sensors, etc. AFAIK, all the internals are the same.

I would not want the engine you mention for that reason. Why go to the trouble of fixing compatibility issues if you don't have to? Unless the engine is super low miles, I'd pass. I'd look into JDM engines. Between 60 and 80k miles and a warranty. I've installed a lot of their engines with great success.

This is all assuming your engine is actually dead. When you mention oil starvation, that problem usually isn't worth fixing, just replace.

Now if you said GM? I'd say probably, they are stupid enough to do that, or were at one time... Tooling alone is sooo expensive (Millions!) for connecting rods or cranks, etc. It doesn't make much sense. My phrase for GM, penny wise, dollar stupid.... They earned that name....
Would you care to elaborate on your statement? Examples?
Old 10-26-15, 11:16 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Originally Posted by Gdwrench35
There are differences in the two engines, mainly electrical and mapping, sensors, etc. AFAIK, all the internals are the same.

I would not want the engine you mention for that reason. Why go to the trouble of fixing compatibility issues if you don't have to? Unless the engine is super low miles, I'd pass. I'd look into JDM engines. Between 60 and 80k miles and a warranty. I've installed a lot of their engines with great success.

This is all assuming your engine is actually dead. When you mention oil starvation, that problem usually isn't worth fixing, just replace.

Would you care to elaborate on your statement? Examples?

so does this mean you can just reuse GS wiring harness and swap an IS engine body? IS engines are abundent and cheap near me and if thats all it is thats a good option to keep in mind when my engine hits the dirt one day...
Old 10-27-15, 05:46 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

Your terminology leaves me a little confused. Engine body? An IS short block would be ok, may have to swap intake and exhaust manifolds and use the gs sensors and wiring.
Old 10-28-15, 07:39 AM
GS3KID
Driver

haha sorry thats what i meant.... IS scene is pretty big here in UT and a lot of people sell rebuilt complete engines or 2JZ upgraded short blocks. but mostly for non VVTI so i assume i cant use that either.
Old 10-28-15, 06:03 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

There would be differences in the ecm and wiring harness's for VVTI vs. non VVTI.

You say 'upgraded' short blocks. What upgrades are they doing?
Old 10-29-15, 07:49 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Originally Posted by Gdwrench35
There would be differences in the ecm and wiring harness's for VVTI vs. non VVTI.

You say 'upgraded' short blocks. What upgrades are they doing?

ARP Rod bolts and Clevite bearings, main bearing new OEM pistons/ rings, honed decked and all aligned by a reputable shop is just an example of one but i can find IS3 engines all over locally for
Old 10-29-15, 04:33 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

That's not really upgraded, just rebuilt. I'd trust a factory motor over one thats been worked over, reputable shop or not.