GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Morimoto HID Bulb and LED Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 06:46 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Morimoto HID Bulb and LED Install

Not to long ago I bought a 9006 Morimoto HID Elite System in my last GS. Ill probably use those for my fogs now. My 03 has factory HIDs so I purchased new D2R Morimotos from TRS to replace my old Phillips. The factory HID system for its age is better than I thought, sure it can be better but I'm happy with this as of now. The old Phillips were a 4300k with about ~3200 lm's or so. The new Morimoto D2Rs are 4500k at ~3500 lm's

Not to big of differences on paper, but I was surprised that I saw big noticeable differences, I was happy with the OEM HIDs but I wanted a bit more with out paying a lot more, or sacrificing quality, and TRS delivered.

Instillation was pretty straight forward, you can find instillation instructions on here if you search.

I also picked up a 194 wedge LED which is very nice. Only problem is that they stick out pretty bad and fitment isn't very crisp, you have to kind of jam them in there so they will fit. They fit in the headlight housing well but probably wont fit so good in our side markers, tail lamps or courtesy lights due to their length.

Again, instillation very easy. Twist and pull out, swap bulbs and done.
They are a nice pure white like I wanted, the picture shows a greenish tint, that's not the bulb, its the picture, it was taken on my phone, or possibly the headlamps.

Anyway, all the pictures are posted. I really recommend TRS for all your retrofitting and HID/LED upgrades. They carry a lot of OEM sourced stuff which I love since I'm an OEM lover.
Attached Thumbnails Morimoto HID Bulb and LED Install-img_1070.jpg   Morimoto HID Bulb and LED Install-img_1088.jpg   Morimoto HID Bulb and LED Install-img_1081.jpg   Morimoto HID Bulb and LED Install-img_1082.jpg   Morimoto HID Bulb and LED Install-img_1084.jpg  

Old 08-28-15, 05:07 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Ill pass on TRS and their china bulbs that has been out of spec lately. Those bulbs are NOT 3500 lumens. Where did you get that? The best bulb on the market is osram CBI's...which is OEM and truly tested to be 3500 lumens and they are 5k bulbs. Get nice white light without sacrificing actual light output. This is what i have in my retro now. Oem or go home.
Old 08-29-15, 08:47 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Ill pass on TRS and their china bulbs that has been out of spec lately. Those bulbs are NOT 3500 lumens. Where did you get that? The best bulb on the market is osram CBI's...which is OEM and truly tested to be 3500 lumens and they are 5k bulbs. Get nice white light without sacrificing actual light output. This is what i have in my retro now. Oem or go home.
You sound like you never seen what they sell on their site. They sell a lot of OEM HID bulbs, ballasts, projectors, they also sell their own products. I was about to purchase both the RX 350 and LS460 Projectors from them but wasn't ready yet.
Old 08-30-15, 05:02 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by JJaySilver
You sound like you never seen what they sell on their site. They sell a lot of OEM HID bulbs, ballasts, projectors, they also sell their own products. I was about to purchase both the RX 350 and LS460 Projectors from them but wasn't ready yet.
No, you're just assuming. I know what they sell on their site but Morimito is owned by TRS...so if I say I'll pass on THEIR bulbs, which is Morimoto, which is also why I stated TRS....get it?? The OP was taking about their bulbs which have been crappy as of late (old gen was actually good). But if you don't know what to look for, then it will be a great bulb to you.
Old 08-30-15, 08:21 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Yes, I was assuming; but I read your post wrong. I apologize.
Old 08-31-15, 11:15 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Osram is great. I have them in my Fogs, DRL and License plate right now.
The morimoto bulbs I am running in my low beams are fine as well. They are brigther than the OEM phillips 43k that came with it from the factory. I dont have projectors right now so it wouldn't be wise of me to cram a D2S bubls into a D2R housing.
Old 08-31-15, 03:07 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by Aristo722
Osram is great. I have them in my Fogs, DRL and License plate right now.
The morimoto bulbs I am running in my low beams are fine as well. They are brigther than the OEM phillips 43k that came with it from the factory. I dont have projectors right now so it wouldn't be wise of me to cram a D2S bubls into a D2R housing.
But you're not comparing apples to apples. The new bulb will be brighter and have more lumens than 15 year old factory bulb. Everything you stated, i agree with. Morimoto is a decent bulb, but Ill rather get lightly used koito oem bulbs. They are great also. Nice white light
Old 09-02-15, 08:44 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

But you're not comparing apples to apples. The new bulb will be brighter and have more lumens than 15 year old factory bulb. Everything you stated, i agree with. Morimoto is a decent bulb, but Ill rather get lightly used koito oem bulbs. They are great also. Nice white light
I wouldn't. A brand new D2R Koito is pushing ~2800lm's When the OEM Phillips does just about ~3200lm's. There was nothing wrong with the Morimoto I used, for only $45 to, Im happy.
And some Osram's are made in Taiwan and are still quality bulbs. Morimoto using the same quartz glass as Phillips and being made in China, while still preforming very well is good in my book. Although you do make a good point. Nothing wrong with sticking with OEM I agree 100%