GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new owner of a 99 cinnabar pearl gs4

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 07:01 PM
cj192
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner of a 99 cinnabar pearl gs4

just bought a gs4 for a decent price but i am having some issues with the transmission i think? Anywho iv pretty much searched everywhere and cant find a clear answer to whats going on so ill try my best to explain and hopefully its a known issue.

When i put my car into drive and reverse there is a pretty big thud
when im in reverse the car slowly jerks a little while going slow like im taping the brake really fast
the trans mount looks to be in good shape aswell as the diff bushings and uca bushings

what can it be? the trans seems to shift perfectly fine going through all the gears its mainly only in reverse while im backing up slow. and the thuding/clunking when shifting into reverse and drive. any help is appreciated
Old 08-20-15, 10:05 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a torque converter problem... Good thing is auto trans arent that expensive for these cars if you know where to look.... Sounds like the line pressure is very high..
Old 08-21-15, 08:36 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the GS and welcome to Club Lexus. Hopefully you get your transmission issue squared away soon so you can enjoy your new ride.
Old 08-21-15, 03:02 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cj192
just bought a gs4 for a decent price but i am having some issues with the transmission i think? Anywho iv pretty much searched everywhere and cant find a clear answer to whats going on so ill try my best to explain and hopefully its a known issue.

when im in reverse the car slowly jerks a little while going slow like im taping the brake really fast
the trans mount looks to be in good shape aswell as the diff bushings and uca bushings

what can it be? the trans seems to shift perfectly fine going through all the gears its mainly only in reverse while im backing up slow. and the thuding/clunking when shifting into reverse and drive. any help is appreciated
Take it AutoZone and have them test ur battery and alternator tested in the parking lot do that and get back
Old 08-23-15, 06:55 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cj192

Sounds like your motor mounts are bad. Just because your transmission mount looks to be good, if they have never been changed they need to be done anyway. My clunking/thud sound, and my low idle on reverse went away after I replaced all my mounts.