GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Factory NAV and ML system with aftermarket amp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 11:21 AM
blkaltezza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory NAV and ML system with aftermarket amp?

I have a 2001 Lexus GS430 with factory NAV and the Mark Levinson sound system. Car has been in the family since 2002 but 2 years ago the ML amp went out and I had to replace the factory subwoofer a while back too. However now I think the 2nd amp I got as a replacement is on it's way out too.

I want to know if anybody knows how to retain the stock NAV/headunit but was about to add preouts or a sound processor for a aftermarket amp. I've searched but I've only found cases where people upgrade the headunit but keep the factory amp and speakers. Don't know if I just missed it or didn't search enough.

My idea is if I can somehow get a sound source from the factory headunit, I'll get a Alpine PDX-V9 which is a 5 channel amp and replace all of the speakers and subwoofer in the car with aftermarket units. I'm not new to car stereo so I don't mind running new wires for the aftermarket speakers. I just want to retain the stock headunit and gps since I prefer the integrated a/c controls rather than putting in a new headunit.

I just can't justify spending another $400 on a replacement amp if it's only going to last me 2 years. I know I could get the amp rebuilt at United Audio but that requires shipping it all the way to NY. Also the 14 year old speakers are starting to show their age, so I would like to overhaul the entire system.
Old 07-25-15, 10:49 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

For my car, my installer and I used a Cache CLOC+D line-out converter. It intercepts the audio signal and sends it to my aftermarket amplifier. There are cheaper passive units, but this one is powered, which gives it a strong output. It also has signal sensing and a remote activation, as well as a remote out, which turns the amplifier on.

The install was over a year ago so I can't quite recall what the issue was, but we ended up not being able to use the signal sensing because it was still drawing power when the car was off. Can't remember why, sorry. Instead, the unit was installed with an external relay activated by the turn-on signal for the factory amp.

In my case, it serves only to support an aftermarket subwoofer and single amp, but you could use it for a 5 channel as well. Cache also has multi-channel units if you want to send signal to multiple amplifiers.

http://www.cacheaudio.com/products/cloc-d

FWIW, my installer believed that replacing the factory Mark Levinson speakers with aftermarket would be a downgrade, unless it were a particularly high end aftermarket speaker, crossover, and amplifier combo. I've kept all the factory ML stuff except for the sub, which had broken, and it sounds as good as I could need it to. Keep in mind that the factory ML system doesn't just have an amplifier, it is also specifically tuned with those speakers. For how much it would cost to add in the aftermarket crossovers, high end component speakers, sound processor or EQ, and amplifier, replacing the ML with ML is not such a bad deal.

Oh, also, the ML cars have 6 channels, rather than five. Two front, two rear, one center front, and the subwoofer.

Last edited by firelizard; 07-25-15 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 09:04 AM
blkaltezza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was really helpful, thank you!

I know alot of people say to just replace the ML system with another ML system but I think I could adjust the sound with the amp or a sound processor. I'll look into the line out converter, I used a llc myself on my IS300 to add a subwoofer, but never looked up getting a signal for every speaker.

One last question, did you get the signal directly from the headunit or after the ML amp? I was planning on eliminating the ML entirely if there's a signal from the headunit.
Old 07-27-15, 07:41 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by blkaltezza
That was really helpful, thank you!

I know alot of people say to just replace the ML system with another ML system but I think I could adjust the sound with the amp or a sound processor. I'll look into the line out converter, I used a llc myself on my IS300 to add a subwoofer, but never looked up getting a signal for every speaker.

One last question, did you get the signal directly from the headunit or after the ML amp? I was planning on eliminating the ML entirely if there's a signal from the headunit.
I'm sure you can use the signal from before the amp, but for my system we used the signal post-amp, just for the subwoofer channel, to take advantage of the EQ and filter.