GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Am I crazy for wanting a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 08:19 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
so you turned down a 2011 gs460 that trumps the 2nd Gen in every way to buy a beater 2nd gen and spend thousands to fix it to oem specs? Doesn't make sense at all but whatever floats your boat.
I think he already owned the 2GS, and just fixed the problems with it.

OT - I love my GS. I'm a young guy (just turned 22), and all my friends think its a dope car. It's a little bit of a boat, but really not that bad. It's a decent handler, and doesn't feel as heavy as it is. I have had to drop about $1k into getting it up scratch (Lower ball joints, Timing belt + water pump), and still need a few things in the near future, but I'm happy with it.
Old 05-25-15, 06:52 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
so you turned down a 2011 gs460 that trumps the 2nd Gen in every way to buy a beater 2nd gen and spend thousands to fix it to oem specs? Doesn't make sense at all but whatever floats your boat.
LOL, beater? The exterior and interior was in excellent condition for 6 grand, that's what made me pull the trigger to buy it. Only thing that seemed neglected to me was maintenance, had some codes, heavy leaks, no heater and ac, door locks, front/rear rotors and pads even replaced the rear parking shoes. Engine/trans. mounts, timing, water pump, radiator, tune up, I mean the list goes on. The cost adds up because most of the parts are from the dealer, and replaced everything myself except for the heater/ac system with all its parts(didn't have ac machine, and removing the dash was scary to me) I'm glad I bought this car, and spent the money on parts. No regrets. Besides I had a 06 GS430 back in 2010 (high school graduation present) for six months before selling it. I'm keeping this car forever or until it is totaled. I might get that GSF next!

Originally Posted by Bhubb18
I think he already owned the 2GS, and just fixed the problems with it
That's right after a month of owning this car, I inspected, diagnosed, and ordered parts for it. Runs amazing.

Last edited by JJaySilver; 05-25-15 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-27-15, 08:43 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JJaySilver
LOL, beater? The exterior and interior was in excellent condition for 6 grand, that's what made me pull the trigger to buy it. Only thing that seemed neglected to me was maintenance, had some codes, heavy leaks, no heater and ac, door locks, front/rear rotors and pads even replaced the rear parking shoes. Engine/trans. mounts, timing, water pump, radiator, tune up, I mean the list goes on. .
6k plus having to update all of that... putting in thousands more as you previously stated =

I wish you were around when I sold my GS. Slightly modded needing nothing at all and everything updated for $6500. Prob could have gotten a couple thousand more from you.
Old 05-28-15, 05:06 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

This was a one owner car, all that person only replaced was oil, brakes pads/rotors, and tires. If it wasn't for the ac/heater system it would've been 2 g's less.
Old 05-30-15, 04:15 AM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I sold my '99 GS400 a few year back for financial reasons...had BMW and Mercedes flagships and nothing compares to my GS to this day. Soon as I sell my 740 iL, I'll be looking to pick up another...
Old 05-30-15, 02:33 PM
SportX888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i sold my E320 for a GS430 and I'm not regretting every minute of it. still love my MB tho. #MBguy
Old 05-30-15, 09:17 PM
czr73
Driver

Yes your crazy !!

The 2GS sucks in the snow, don't even attempt it.

Most importantly, the car has an engineering defect that causes vibration in the front end which every owner has experienced and is not easily fixed.

It's a beautiful car, especially when VIP'd, and you cannot beat the 2JZ engine.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-15, 09:17 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Originally Posted by czr73
Most importantly, the car has an engineering defect that causes vibration in the front end which every owner has experienced and is not easily fixed.
I don't understand this defect because I've never experienced such a thing. I drive my GS hard, speed a lot, and have the engine running in idle for long periods of time. There are minor vibrations most of the time like many other cars out there, but not annoyingly noticeable. I love how I start the engine and can't even tell if its on or feel it running.

Last edited by JJaySilver; 06-01-15 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-31-15, 09:28 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Never had any vibrations either. I can't speak to driving in the snow because I live in Arizona. Overall, the 2GS is a great car. I would buy either a 400 or 430 for the added power. Find one that is well maintained. IMO, if you can find one that is well taken care of, you're getting a fully depreciated, reliable car with decent power that drives better than a lot of new cars out there. Some people pay $20k plus for a Chevy Malibu...
Old 06-01-15, 06:55 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 179 Likes on 150 Posts

man dont listen to these people talking about E550s and Maseratis. The fact you can even mention that car in the same page as a 15 year old car says ENOUGH. For the price you wont find a more reliable and fast car. If you value reliability and speed and will sacrifice some handling for reliability then get a GS400 or GS430 and see if you dont fall in love and forget about your Subaru. Just make sure its a clean one. It does SUCK in the snow compared to the Subaru even with snow tires but its worth it. The GS430 is the best because it has the most modern features but you will sacrifice some thorttle response for a more luxury feel so I suggest you try to drive both a 400 and 430 and see which you prefer. The electronic throttle on the 430 does annoy me alot sometimes but you probably wont notice it. I only notice this because I have had both a 300 and a 400 before getting the 430 and the 400 is one of the best and sportiest driving V8s of that generation. I only went with the 430 because I couldnt live without radio steering wheel controls (as crazy as that sounds).
Old 06-01-15, 06:59 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by madfish
I came from a 2000 legacy GTB to the GS430...

I've lost...

Practicality
Handling
4wd traction

I've gained...

Reliability
Luxury
RWD fun (limited slip diff helps!)
V8 noise

The GS430 has poor throttle response as standard but an electronic throttle controller fixes that completely

Hey man can you tell me which throttle controller you used? I have tried the Blitz auto light and it didnt work no matter what I did so I had to send it back. I have always wanted one of these but didnt want to waste money until I knew it worked.
Old 06-04-15, 07:56 PM
nellieson
Driver School Candidate

Smile GS Purchase

I just bought a 2002 GS430 with 117,000 miles on it and this car is in terrific shape. I traded my 2004 BMW 745i. The Lexus does not handle anywhere close to the 745i -- really, no comparison. It is a nice ride, though it could be better -- perhaps some of the suspension parts are worn out. I bought this car for reliability and the Lexus luxury experience. It has a great set of features. I miss the BMW but being retired, I can no longer afford the huge maintenance costs the 7 Series entails. For instance, 50% of 7 series have transmission problems. Mine was starting to worry me in that regard.
In summation, the GS is a fine product which I believe has excellent reliability, which you trade for handling, road feel.
Old 06-04-15, 08:48 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Nice your gonna love the car when you replace the suspension. My friend had a 2014 750 and even after driving his car when I got into mine I didn't hate it and he even said it drives real good. Thats saying a lot considering that car is worth about 20 seperate GS' lol. Change the motor mounts the struts all of the control arms and bushings and you will feel like a whole new car

Originally Posted by nellieson
I just bought a 2002 GS430 with 117,000 miles on it and this car is in terrific shape. I traded my 2004 BMW 745i. The Lexus does not handle anywhere close to the 745i -- really, no comparison. It is a nice ride, though it could be better -- perhaps some of the suspension parts are worn out. I bought this car for reliability and the Lexus luxury experience. It has a great set of features. I miss the BMW but being retired, I can no longer afford the huge maintenance costs the 7 Series entails. For instance, 50% of 7 series have transmission problems. Mine was starting to worry me in that regard.
In summation, the GS is a fine product which I believe has excellent reliability, which you trade for handling, road feel.
Old 06-05-15, 07:13 AM
nellieson
Driver School Candidate

Default Suspension

DM, thanks for the advice. Should I just use new Lexus parts or if not, what do you recommend?
Old 06-05-15, 07:45 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nellieson
DM, thanks for the advice. Should I just use new Lexus parts or if not, what do you recommend?
I would. I use nothing but OEM on my car with the exception of MOOG tie rods because they're supposedly better then OEM. I wouldn't use aftermarket cuz then if something goes wrong with the aftermarket part you'll always be wondering in the back of your head if it's because it's not OEM. Don't get me wrong there are many good aftermarket parts but many are inferior to OEM or won't fit right because this car is very finicky about what parts you use on it. I have nothing with bad luck with aftermarket parts except MOOG tie rods. If you start using a lot of aftermarket parts your not gonna get the real comfortable ride Lexus designed it to have with all the soft rubber bushings. A lot of people use aftermarket and polyurethane but IMO this car sucks with anything non OEM with the exception of a few parts that are sometimes better aftermarket like MOOG tie rods. I wouldn't even get their ball joints as they have to be greased. I like to be worry free I don't know about you....

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting a GS?