GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Morimoto XB H.I.D Write Up

Old 04-22-15, 02:36 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Morimoto XB H.I.D Write Up

Posted below is my Write up and review of the Morimoto XB 35 Watt 5500k HID With the HD Relay kit from The Retro Fit Source. (link at the very bottom)

So first off, I got the box and it was shipped very well. Neat and tidy, everything in order.

Everything that comes with the kit laid out.
The ballasts, relays, amp igniters, bulbs, etc

This was the only thing that scared me about the whole kit was The bulbs as they are made in China.... But everything still seems high quality and is working fine as of now.

The Ballast, they look nice and are relatively slim. Comes with the mounting brackets as well. TRS also offers a water proofing service for them as well.

The HD relays

Alright so now Ill begin the install, its pretty much similar to any other HID install, but this kit has some extra goodies that you can install!

First, start by disconnecting the battery, pretty self explanatory.

Now I will start with the HD relays and connecting it to the positive terminal.

Then grounding both relays. I grounded them to this OEM ground.

Then the ends of the relays plug into the Ballasts with one input that plugs into one of the OEM headlight connectors.

Now to install the AMP ingniters, they install into the ballast, which then plugs into the bulb.

Now all that's left is to install the bulb to the igniter. Repeat for the other side.

Finished result. You may need to adjust your low beams after instillation.

Now all that's left to do is clean up, tuck wires and mount your ballasts.
Overall I rate this HID kit a solid 9/10. The wiring could of been a bit longer since we have such wide engine bays, and the mounting bracket holes can be a few MMs bigger and longer to mount more cleanly.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...l#.VTV1divF_To
Old 04-22-15, 04:14 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice DIY... but the light spread is atrocious having no cutoff whatsoever. You need to put in a projector (retrofit) as you're going to be blinding oncoming drivers.
Old 04-23-15, 02:44 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
Nice DIY... but the light spread is atrocious having no cutoff whatsoever. You need to put in a projector (retrofit) as you're going to be blinding oncoming drivers.
Yeah I will, but I have the lights aimed down, not blinding anyone at the moment.
Old 04-23-15, 05:04 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

you should've purchased some denso ballast and D2R bibs with some GS hid reflector bowls. I have some reflector bowls left over from my retrofit I done.
Old 04-23-15, 05:15 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Or better still. I have a set of oem 2nd generation oem GS hid headlightsim planning on selling I'm leaving everything intact. D2R bulbs, factory oem ballast (denso), automatic headlight leveler. Probably sell for $375 - $400.
Old 04-23-15, 05:27 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbul
Or better still. I have a set of oem 2nd generation oem GS hid headlightsim planning on selling I'm leaving everything intact. D2R bulbs, factory oem ballast (denso), automatic headlight leveler. Probably sell for $375 - $400.
Wont work with non hid model GS's.
Old 04-27-15, 04:57 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo722
Posted below is my Write up and review of the Morimoto XB 35 Watt 5500k HID With the HD Relay kit from The Retro Fit Source. (link at the very bottom)

So first off, I got the box and it was shipped very well. Neat and tidy, everything in order.

Everything that comes with the kit laid out.
The ballasts, relays, amp igniters, bulbs, etc

This was the only thing that scared me about the whole kit was The bulbs as they are made in China.... But everything still seems high quality and is working fine as of now.

The Ballast, they look nice and are relatively slim. Comes with the mounting brackets as well. TRS also offers a water proofing service for them as well.

The HD relays

Alright so now Ill begin the install, its pretty much similar to any other HID install, but this kit has some extra goodies that you can install!

First, start by disconnecting the battery, pretty self explanatory.

Now I will start with the HD relays and connecting it to the positive terminal.

Then grounding both relays. I grounded them to this OEM ground.

Then the ends of the relays plug into the Ballasts with one input that plugs into one of the OEM headlight connectors.

Now to install the AMP ingniters, they install into the ballast, which then plugs into the bulb.

Now all that's left is to install the bulb to the igniter. Repeat for the other side.

Finished result. You may need to adjust your low beams after instillation.

Now all that's left to do is clean up, tuck wires and mount your ballasts.
Overall I rate this HID kit a solid 9/10. The wiring could of been a bit longer since we have such wide engine bays, and the mounting bracket holes can be a few MMs bigger and longer to mount more cleanly.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...l#.VTV1divF_To
Bull**** mod. Blinding everyone, horrible light pattern, multiple hot spots on the road, no cut off. Retro or go home. I hate seeing this illegal horrible mod! And it's even worse when the person states "I'm not blinding anyone"... it's OBVIOUS that you are blinding folks...look at the glare in the photos. And just because someone doesn't flash their lights to inform you doesn't mean it isn't blinding them. I'm sorry I'm not going *thumbs up* this mod when it's illegal.
Old 04-27-15, 05:02 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo722
Yeah I will, but I have the lights aimed down, not blinding anyone at the moment.
no you're not, that's a lie. Because if you were, you would've done it right the first time around vs using this ricer/ghetto set up. Lol at the "i have them aimed low so I'm not blinding other people" statement. Smdh...
Old 04-27-15, 10:22 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Bull**** mod. Blinding everyone, horrible light pattern, multiple hot spots on the road, no cut off. Retro or go home. I hate seeing this illegal horrible mod! And it's even worse when the person states "I'm not blinding anyone"... it's OBVIOUS that you are blinding folks...look at the glare in the photos. And just because someone doesn't flash their lights to inform you doesn't mean it isn't blinding them. I'm sorry I'm not going *thumbs up* this mod when it's illegal.
These pictures were before any adjustments and I knew way before they would be blinding regardless. Im posting to show off the kit, not the obvious fact that I don't have projectors yet. You will see in another post of my retrofit (which is already done) But maybe if I post my retrofit setup everyone will want to just bash it with negative comments to right?
Old 04-27-15, 10:26 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by silverbul
TRS actually sells Denso ballasts, I wanted them but for 250 alone for the ballast, Ill wait. And I retrofitted the headlamps as is. I was planning on looking for a set of the HID Sport Design headlamps, but tough to find! Thanks for looking out, if I change my mind Ill let you know!