GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lifespan of a GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 05:35 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2nd Gen GS300 is a solid car. Common issues are suspension components wearing out prematurely (ball joints most common issue), door lock actuators failure, and the dashlights burning out. Otherwise it is a reliable car with few issues.
Old 04-16-15, 06:46 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Let me put it this way, in 3 years I've spent just $3,000 in suspension not including door lack actuators, motor/transmission mounts, 02 sensors, valve cover gaskets, and 2 carrier bearings and one diff.....car is still a pain in the ***. I understand that its an older car, but I have no idea how so many guys on here have cars with a ton of miles and haven't replaced half of the stuff I've had to replace such as the baffle inside the muffler just giving out and ****ign rattling noises all throughout the car. I'd have no problem if it rattled if I havent replaced everything and everything. I'm into this car at least $5,500 in three years.

And let me add, I don't abuse this car, I baby the hell out of it. It's serviced regularly and driven mainly on the highway. I just hate how its always something, but some days all the rattles and noises are gone, then the next day they are back in full force. I've never experienced a car that can have such polarizing good and bad days. I guess I have a 13 year old lemon? I'm the second owner and itonly has 112k and I've owned it since 55k, so its not like its had a hard life. The first owner had it dealer serviced every 5k at the dealer as well. What I'm trying to say, they are for the most part solid, but you may have real pain in the *** car like mine.

Last edited by RXGS; 04-16-15 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 07:39 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Let me put it this way, in 3 years I've spent just $3,000 in suspension not including door lack actuators, motor/transmission mounts, 02 sensors, valve cover gaskets, and 2 carrier bearings and one diff.....car is still a pain in the ***. I understand that its an older car, but I have no idea how so many guys on here have cars with a ton of miles and haven't replaced half of the stuff I've had to replace such as the baffle inside the muffler just giving out and ****ign rattling noises all throughout the car. I'd have no problem if it rattled if I havent replaced everything and everything. I'm into this car at least $5,500 in three years. And let me add, I don't abuse this car, I baby the hell out of it. It's serviced regularly and driven mainly on the highway. I just hate how its always something, but some days all the rattles and noises are gone, then the next day they are back in full force. I've never experienced a car that can have such polarizing good and bad days. I guess I have a 13 year old lemon? I'm the second owner and itonly has 112k and I've owned it since 55k, so its not like its had a hard life. The first owner had it dealer serviced every 5k at the dealer as well. What I'm trying to say, they are for the most part solid, but you may have real pain in the *** car like mine.
Haha that's sounds rough and that's why I said in general the GS is solid because even Lexus manufactures end point cars or "lemons" where it's usually the tail end of a production set

I'm technically according to car fax I'm 4th owner on mine but it's been passed around from dealerships so I'm really the 2nd consumer/owner so I've had to do quite a bit as well :/ but to me it's been worth it once it's done