GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Going to install a whole new sound system 98 Nak

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 08:00 PM
Foob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to be upgrading all 4 door speakers? And the front tweeters? I believe you'll need a crossover, for the front if you getting new tweeters installed. If im not mistaken I think I've seen some posts about how there's a way to hack the factory amp, for new speakers but I mean at that point you'll prob be under powering your new speakers.
Old 01-20-16, 07:52 AM
GS3KID
Driver

at this point i don't think ill install new tweeters, I had an aftermarket radio installed by a geeksquad tech and he made it sound like he knows all because he "has two IS300s and blah blah blah" and i think they had to bypass the amp? i knew they couldn't get the sub to work any way they tried so he just told me he bypassed it all together. but I've replaced speakers on simpler cars (admittedly) so i didn't think its too complicated on my GS? like i said i just want to add 6.5" 3 way speakers and I'm doing half the car at a time so id like to start with the front doors.

Only DIY ive been able to find really is some guy putting in JL speakers and he didnt really show how he wired it all in just the completed job.
Old 01-21-16, 04:44 PM
Foob
Driver

Originally Posted by GS3KID
at this point i don't think ill install new tweeters, I had an aftermarket radio installed by a geeksquad tech and he made it sound like he knows all because he "has two IS300s and blah blah blah" and i think they had to bypass the amp? i knew they couldn't get the sub to work any way they tried so he just told me he bypassed it all together. but I've replaced speakers on simpler cars (admittedly) so i didn't think its too complicated on my GS? like i said i just want to add 6.5" 3 way speakers and I'm doing half the car at a time so id like to start with the front doors.

Only DIY ive been able to find really is some guy putting in JL speakers and he didnt really show how he wired it all in just the completed job.
Could you put a link to the thread? Could try and explain it lol.
Old 01-27-16, 07:14 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Originally Posted by Foob
Could you put a link to the thread? Could try and explain it lol.
well its not the thread i mentioned above but i think i may have found what i needed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ring-help.html

do you know if there's a way to make it so you don't lose the stock tweeters?
Old 01-27-16, 08:02 AM
Foob
Driver

Could u also link me which 3 way speaker your looking at? I'm guessing you looking into one that has the tweeter built into one whole unit?
Old 01-27-16, 08:06 AM
Foob
Driver

Default This should help, it's taken from the same thread.

Quoted from Mr. Jokster

"Thats the wire going to the tweeter in the A-Pillar. Thats why I say you'll loose that tweeter by sourcing the signal from the orange plug. Its been a while since I've had mine opened, I cant remember where the crossover point is. I do remember there are wires coming from the speaker inside going to the pink/purple plug to send the signal to the tweeter. You can do the same and run wires from your speaker to the pink/purple wires to send the signal to the tweeters, just use a capacitor to block the bass. I removed the plug from the baffle itself and utilized it to feed signal to the speakers as to not cut any wires."
Old 01-27-16, 08:47 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Quoted from Mr. Jokster

"Thats the wire going to the tweeter in the A-Pillar. Thats why I say you'll loose that tweeter by sourcing the signal from the orange plug. Its been a while since I've had mine opened, I cant remember where the crossover point is. I do remember there are wires coming from the speaker inside going to the pink/purple plug to send the signal to the tweeter. You can do the same and run wires from your speaker to the pink/purple wires to send the signal to the tweeters, just use a capacitor to block the bass. I removed the plug from the baffle itself and utilized it to feed signal to the speakers as to not cut any wires."
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-...&skuId=4330830

thats what i was hoping i could do is just find a way to retain the wiring plugs so i don't have to mess with signals coming from the stock amp
Old 01-28-16, 08:26 PM
Foob
Driver

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-...&skuId=4330830

thats what i was hoping i could do is just find a way to retain the wiring plugs so i don't have to mess with signals coming from the stock amp
Try and see if you can pick up those speakers off of crutchfield, they sell wiring harnesses with the purchase of speakers for most cars. Plus they would retain the wiring plugs! They're customer support is spot on, and ive use the harnesses from them befoere, not for my car as you can see but recently for my friends 2001 durango. If for whatever reason that website doesn't work for you, I recommend when your doing the wiring to use some vimpire taps, they don't need you to solder.

Old 01-29-16, 07:43 AM
GS3KID
Driver

thanks a million for the help! i appreciate it!

do you mean a speaker wiring harness? i only see they have them for radios

Last edited by GS3KID; 01-29-16 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-29-16, 09:12 AM
Foob
Driver

thanks a million for the help! i appreciate it!

do you mean a speaker wiring harness? i only see they have them for radios
No problem man!

Yes a harness, here's a picture of what my friend got when he ordered his speakers and harness. When you add the speakers to cart it should give you the option there, if not contact the customer support they should be able to set it up for you no problem.

Old 01-29-16, 09:30 AM
Foob
Driver

Old 01-29-16, 10:34 AM
GS3KID
Driver

awesome thanks!