GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rims ????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-01, 12:39 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I agree completely about the wanna-be's. I really get mad when I see "copycat" rims on some POS Integra!! And I do agree with you about the Brabus rims. I LOVE THEM!! However, I'm kinda into the BLING BLING stuff. That's where we are different I guess. I do agree that there are some nice lookin silver rims out there, but they dont' really catch your eye like a njce set of chromes. IYO, what chrome rims look good?!?! I'm just wondering..... Sorry if I was a little out a line with my last post, I just sensed some hostility from you comment and didn't agree with it!!

Justin
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 03-23-01, 12:44 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Oh and BTW, I like the new CL's......They're tight! There was as black on black one that won at a semi-recent stereo competition that I went too! Very sharp car....

Also, I can't really see the rims on that GS pic you attached. Can you send another one or a better pic?
Old 03-23-01, 12:45 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clean GS on chrome

Here's a Clean GS on chromes...then again, I'm VERY biased to this body kit
Attached Thumbnails Rims ????????-cleangs.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 03-23-01 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-23-01, 12:50 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default What chrome rims look good (IMO)

I think a few of the Lsportline's look good (the Model I Evo, the Model II, etc.)

Also, the classic "mesh" style rims look good (eg: Racing Hart C2)

Nearly all of HRE's 540 and 640 rims look good in HIGH POLISH (which is what I would get instead of chrome...high polish doesn't add weight to the wheels and it doesn't chip like chrome.)

And if you look at all of those rims in Silver, they look good....Can you imagine anything made by Lexani or Arelli in silver...they look hideous in chrome, in silver, they would be able to defend this country like an army of Medusas.
Old 03-23-01, 02:20 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I have giovanna rios on my lex and there triple chrome yes there flashy and stuff but I think they look nice

here's a pic of them I think they look clean and sharp
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-01, 02:25 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry that is a small pic heres a bigger one
Old 03-23-01, 04:22 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

so manaray, you believe only a couple of companies like lowenhart etc, makes quality chrome rims? Everyone else sucks?

btw: what kind of rim is that on that black gs. its hot.

Last edited by D-MAN63; 03-23-01 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-24-01, 02:55 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default Chromies...

Before I start, please understand that the following is MY OPINION. This is just how *I* see things...

There are MANY good rim manufactures out there. I just think that CERTAIN DESIGNS look OK in chrome, and others, just look tacky. But hey, some people like that tacky, flashy, look-at-me look. For me, it's whole different way of looking at things...

I've been in the import scene for many many years now...for me, I get more pleasure from getting a "that's dope!" from someone who knows something about the whole JDM/Import scene rather than getting a "That's dope!" from someone who doesn't know the difference between a strut tower bar and a limited slip differential...

...but this goes well beyond my car...my watches, for example, is nothing flashy. No diamonds, no gold, usually a dull grey titanium or at best, a WHITE gold dress watch (only because they don't make it in stainless steel)...the average Joe who thinks a TAG/Heuer is the end-all and be-all of watches wouldn't even notice...but to someone who is a true watch enthusiast, they would spot a $12,000 Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph or a $9000 Breguet Titanium Transatlantique. Of course, I can appreciate Casio's and such..they're nice cheap throw-away watches, they do their job well (and yes, I own a few for when I work on stuff or travel)...at least they don't try to fake like they're a high end watch (unlike TAG)

Then again, there are those people who feel the need to wear gold PLATED TAG/Heuer because they like the bling-bling. Personally, I laugh at those people because they paid $2000+ for a watch that's really only worth $200 at best. Come on, if you're gonna wear a gold watch, wear a REAL gold watch. Not some base metal plated bullsht. It's just SO FAKE.

Rims from the likes of Giovanna, Lexani, Arelli, etc. are simliar to TAGS. They are just flashy and they TRY to be a high end product. But in reality, they're just cheap ghetto *** rims that are not made any better then those cheap knock offs you floating around (and companies like Giovanna DO knock off other companies rim designs...it's one thing to have a design that's INSPIRED by another, but come on, direct knock offs?)

They're non-knock off rims are just butt ugly (though Giovanna does have 1 or 2 decent looking rims, but I still wouldn't buy them at any price on principle)...you see them on broken *** '89 Nissan Maximas. When's the last time you saw a Lowenhart, HRE, etc. on some broken *** car? If you stripped the chrome off Giovanna's, Lexani's, and Arelli's rims, you'd be lucky to pawn off 20's for $1500/set. If it wasn't for the chrome, those rims would be nothing. Is that what you want to put on your Lexus?

I ALWAYS see these old GS's (which are dope cars, but not when you do this to them...) on 20" Niche Bellas or some equally ugly rim and of course, they're chromed, and of course, the car has 150K miles on it, and of course, they bought it used and beaten for $9000 (which they had to finance at 21% APR)....and on top of that, they didn't lower it (because they spent all their money on their rims) AND the driver tries to floss the sht like he's some rich, pimpin' hard-*** *****-fcka when in reality, he's probablly some minimum wage worker who lives at home with mom and pop. To me, THESE are people that would think a GS on 20" chrome Lexani's are "DOPE!".

They wouldn't understand if they saw a GS300 with all Toyota Aristo logos and a right-hand drive conversion (along with a j-spec 2JZ-GTE)...that would not impress them...but hot damn, you throw ANY 20" rim that's been chromed on that car and all of sudden, it's da bomb.

Your rims should not be what MAKES the car. The rims should accessories the car and give the car an overall better look. Big chrome rims just drag the attention to themselves (selfish bastards!) and you would get the same people looking if you put 20" Lexani's on a 2001 GS or a 1989 BMW 525i.

But what it comes down to is whether or not YOU like them or if they impress the people YOU want to impress....

It's real late...I could be just rambling...
Old 03-24-01, 03:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default Heheheh

1SICKLEX - Yeah, in Los Angeles, I see some SERIOUSLY wacked ****...people with $3000 cars trying to do $500 chromed rims and they think it makes the car look like a million bucks. But in reality, it looks like a $3000 car with $500 chromed rims.

It just as bad as having 13" rims that are 10" wide with a 185 tire on there that's so stretched, that the car is actually riding on the sidewalls...those are TRULY LAME BEYOND BELIEF. And, they're always on broken *** salvage title cars.

I mean REALLY. If all I could afford was a '89 Sentra, I would just DRIVE the car and save money to maintain it. Why even bother fixing it up? I don't understand the mentality of going to Pep Boys or Chief's Auto and spending $200 on stupid *** stickers and "accessories" for shtty cars....especially when they try to make it LOOK luxury by doing a plastic-faux-wood kit (on everything), some gold windsheild wipers, chrome or gold trim (fender trim, window trim, anything that can be trimmed) etc., etc...

Kinda like the cars on www.beaterz.com

Now you want to see a REAL FCKIN' PLAYER? Check out this photo I snapped...TRUE PLAYA! G'S UP, HOE'S DOWN!

Check out the PHAT CHROME rims! The WING! Keeps that rear end down for those high speed 70MPH top end rev-limit hitting runs, and of course, the PLAYA's choice in decals...the PLAYBOY logo! I hear Heff has a hit out on this guy...
Attached Thumbnails Rims ????????-playa.jpg  
Old 03-24-01, 04:00 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

NOW THAT'S FUNNY!!!! LMFAO

Justin
Platinum 2G GS4

Old 03-24-01, 07:06 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha

just gonna half to ask u to put some #)%( in your swears, thx!
Old 03-24-01, 07:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

manaray - the owner's put a V6 emblem on the RHS of that Corolla too!!!
Old 03-24-01, 12:48 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default V6?

bitkahuna - HAHAHAHA! Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't even look there! I was so consumed with the pimpin' player Playboy logo, the wing, and the rims that I missed the all important V6 logo...wow, I think I'm gonna dump my GS and run out and buy a Corolla!

You know, without stupid people, this world would be boring!

Sasha: Why don't you like my #!$#@ !@$$ !@$# $@#$#? Huh?!
Old 03-24-01, 01:05 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

I'm sorry to dissappoint you guys, but that label says VE, not V6! I thought it said V6 when I saw a Corrola rollin around town a while back, but at closer inspection, it says VE... That's the model.... Like GS... Still funny as hell tho!!...

Justin
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 03-24-01, 01:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by LexDriver18
I'm sorry to dissappoint you guys, but that label says VE, not V6!
Oh well, funny while we thought it said V6 anyway.

A giant wing on the Corolla is such a joke though.

Having said that, the only reason I got the spoiler on the GS is because I think the tail looks a bit low/plain without it... so of course this is a subjective thing.

Quick Reply: Rims ????????