GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Might be buying a GS400. Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 10:06 AM
Caniac14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be buying a GS400. Few Questions

Hello all. Current LS400 owner here. I'm about to sell her to purchase a GS400 as I want the same reliable motors but a little more speed.

I went to look at her last night. 185k with new timing belt, seals, spark plugs and valve covers. The water pump was not replaced. Is this something to worry about? My current 96 LS400 is about to hit 250k and still has the stock water pump.

As with nearly all GS models I've looked at, the radio is all messed up and I can't read anything it says, but that can be fixed by putting in a different unit.

The exterior was a good 9/10, and the only interior issue other than the radio was cracks in the driver seat. Which I didn't care because I plan to get some Clazzio covers anyways. The floor mats are ugly as heck as well but that can also be cheaply fixed.

He said it had a P0446 code but isn't that always a loose gas cap? The CEL came on when I inserted the key, and went off when I started the car. As a car with no issues would. So I'm assuming that's what the issue was and it just resolved itself?

Also, I've noticed this on all 3 GS400 I have looked at. The shifter doesn't seem to want to go as smoothly through the gears as the shifter in my LS does. Is this just a thing with the 5 speed autos? I thought maybe it's so you don't accidentally knock it in and or out of gears. Especially since the GS has a manual mode.

I am very set on getting it as soon as my car sells. Sadly I thought I already had it sold but leave it to a flaker to give your hopes up. :/

Other than the power steering issue with the 1UZ, is there anything else to worry about with this motor is a GS? Other than getting tickets ^_^
Old 12-03-14, 11:29 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Caniac14
I went to look at her last night. 185k with new timing belt, seals, spark plugs and valve covers. The water pump was not replaced. Is this something to worry about? My current 96 LS400 is about to hit 250k and still has the stock water pump.
I'm new to the GS400 world, so I may have no idea what I'm talking about, but I don't think you need to worry too much about a water pump unless the car is running hot. If it's running at the correct temp, I would assume you're all good. If it's running hotter than it should, just replace the water pump and carry on.

As with nearly all GS models I've looked at, the radio is all messed up and I can't read anything it says, but that can be fixed by putting in a different unit.
My GS radio is missing some pixels as well. Like you said, just put something else in.

Also, I've noticed this on all 3 GS400 I have looked at. The shifter doesn't seem to want to go as smoothly through the gears as the shifter in my LS does. Is this just a thing with the 5 speed autos? I thought maybe it's so you don't accidentally knock it in and or out of gears. Especially since the GS has a manual mode.
Mine does this too. I thought maybe the PO spilled something sticky in the mechanism or it needed some lubrication or something. But it doesn't really bother me, so I haven't looked into it very much.

I am very set on getting it as soon as my car sells. Sadly I thought I already had it sold but leave it to a flaker to give your hopes up.
I think you'll enjoy the change. I love my GS400 to death, and I've only had it a few weeks.
Old 12-03-14, 11:47 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I never understood why individuals don't change the water pump while they're already in there...
Old 12-03-14, 12:34 PM
Caniac14
Driver

Good news. Was just going over copies of the receipts, yes the dude made me copies , the water pump was done as well. He just forgot to list it in the CL add.
Old 12-05-14, 06:48 AM
yelnoc
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I never understood why individuals don't change the water pump while they're already in there...
I have a '03 GS 430 at 120K and am looking at the timing belt - dealer estimate under $700 and they did not try to up sell me to do the water pump and I'm not sure what to infer by that other than if they had half a reason to do it they would have recco'd it. Only thing they mentioned was I needed spark plugs - imagine spark plugs only lasting 120K miles
Old 12-05-14, 07:28 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yelnoc
I have a '03 GS 430 at 120K and am looking at the timing belt - dealer estimate under $700 and they did not try to up sell me to do the water pump and I'm not sure what to infer by that other than if they had half a reason to do it they would have recco'd it. Only thing they mentioned was I needed spark plugs - imagine spark plugs only lasting 120K miles
It's changed as a precautionary measure. The only reason I could see your dealer not quoting you on a water pump replacement, is to wait until it actually goes bad, thus charging you to rip apart the front of the engine again. Contrary to popular belief, the water pump will 'call it quits' long before the belt will.
Old 12-05-14, 08:09 AM
yelnoc
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
It's changed as a precautionary measure. The only reason I could see your dealer not quoting you on a water pump replacement, is to wait until it actually goes bad, thus charging you to rip apart the front of the engine again. Contrary to popular belief, the water pump will 'call it quits' long before the belt will.
Good point - mechanically speaking I assume that you save labor costs (don't do any of this myself) by doing both. I am into this car for enough that I will be keeping it for a while unless I come into money enough to hunt down a 2010 or so ISF
Old 12-05-14, 08:00 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Do the water pump at the 2nd timing belt change (180k) even if it isn't leaking. Good precautionary fix as others have mentioned.
Old 12-06-14, 09:06 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yelnoc
Good point - mechanically speaking I assume that you save labor costs (don't do any of this myself) by doing both. I am into this car for enough that I will be keeping it for a while unless I come into money enough to hunt down a 2010 or so ISF
Yes, most certainly. Have the mechanic do it while he's already in there.