GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Considering purchase of an 2000 GS 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 01:43 AM
mattr82
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering purchase of an 2000 GS 300

Hi all,

I wanted your expertise as I don't have much Lexus experience. I am considering the purchase of an 2000 GS 300.

-Shade under 90k miles.
-Clean carfax, looks to be 1 or maybe 2 owners. Serviced at a Lexus dealer for the most part when I ran the vin on Lexus' site.
-Found on craigslist, owner hasn't been too responsive but said he will be able to show the car Saturday.

Lexus GS 300, Year 2000, Platinum Series, Silver
New: Battery, tires, timing belt, brakes
Runs excellent. No issues. Mechanically perfect
No accidents ever, clean carfax
Asking less than kelly blue book.
If you see this ad, it is still available
State Inspection Good Thru 04/2016

Following were done all at the Lexus dealer:
75k miles; 5/2012-Replaced both front lower ball joints; replaced both front struts and mounts; timing belt replaced; replaced right front inner tie rod assembly

Last service record was from 6/13 and says DEALER FOUND OXIDATION BUILD UP ON BRAKE ROTORS FROM VEHICLE SITTING- RESURFACE. It's obvious this vehicle hasn't been driven much given the low mileage and likely was sitting a lot. Is this any concern? I will check for dry rot on the tires although they should be "new."

Sorry for the long post, but do you think this car is worthwhile for what seller is asking for it, provided it's in as good shape the seller claims?

He is asking $5500 and appears to be firm. I told him I have 5k cash which seems like a fair offer given the vehicle is not the 400 model and is a '00. Obvious pluses are low mileage and the car looks good in pictures. Owner has no issue with me bringing car to Lexus mechanic for PPI.
No idea about the following, which seem to be trouble items that may need to be addressed in the near future: control arms, AC evap box, brake master cylinder, water pump, serpentine belt, spark plugs?

Thank you!

Matt
Old 09-25-14, 05:32 PM
chico55
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi and welcome to Cl...my opinion is, that I think the price and car is great. Since its a used car..obviously u would have to fix or replace something ur self anyways, but its well taken care of.i bought my 2000 gs 300 with about same miles or a bit more and I had to do the brakes and the car is great and no problems. I say take before to late.
Old 09-25-14, 05:34 PM
chico55
Rookie

Oh btw, theses cars are amazing the best I ever owned..I will never sell it. Lol
Old 09-25-14, 10:05 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

no brainer for the price, 5500 is more than fair.
Old 09-25-14, 10:39 PM
mattr82
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the replies thus far, they are very appreciated. Anything I should check on the vehicle prior to bringing it to my mechanic so I don't waste money having an unnecessary PPI if car isn't up to snuff?
Old 09-25-14, 11:19 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everyone has mentioned, the price seems to be reasonable and pretty much along the lines of what it's worth. You can ensure that the GS300 will outlast pretty much every car you'd be able to buy for the same price. Overall, price is fair.
Old 09-26-14, 08:34 AM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I Just purchased a 2000 silver GS300 about 3 months ago for a similar price with double the mileage. Mine was also well taken care of at the dealership. I would buy that car in a heartbeat.
Old 09-27-14, 02:38 PM
mattr82
Driver School Candidate

Saw the car today, it drove well, tight with solid brakes and alignment was good. Had a couple issues: 1 of the tires is mismatched kumho due to a "blown tire." The others are matching Bridgestone. Paint seems ok, some scratches but nothing too bad. There is a dent by the lower driver side bumper That looked to be sealed but wasn't don't too well; didn't see rust. Interior is good, only really worn leather in driver seat. Everything works on interior including ac (strong), heated seats, all windows and sunroof. Radio works but display does not really turn on--possibly a fuse? Display for each climate control turns on with no missing pixels. I plan to bring to mechanic, does anyone think I should reconsider based on this info?

Thanks!

Last edited by mattr82; 09-27-14 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-27-14, 03:54 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

nobody cares about mismatched tires unless they're trying to get it appraised.

LCD of stock radio on this car is a known issue.

if you hear excessive buzzing/clicking with the vents it's the servo motor-- also a known issue

check the power door locks for motor function-- another known issue

it's a 15 year old car, everything about this car has been documented so search the forums
Old 09-28-14, 10:17 AM
mikobangz
Rookie

Originally Posted by mattr82
Saw the car today, it drove well, tight with solid brakes and alignment was good. Had a couple issues: 1 of the tires is mismatched kumho due to a "blown tire." The others are matching Bridgestone. Paint seems ok, some scratches but nothing too bad. There is a dent by the lower driver side bumper That looked to be sealed but wasn't don't too well; didn't see rust. Interior is good, only really worn leather in driver seat. Everything works on interior including ac (strong), heated seats, all windows and sunroof. Radio works but display does not really turn on--possibly a fuse? Display for each climate control turns on with no missing pixels. I plan to bring to mechanic, does anyone think I should reconsider based on this info?

Thanks!
Make sure all the doors and windows are locking and going up/down fine.

Based on what you've said, there doesn't seem to be any concern. The mismatched tires is nothing to worry about. If the dent isn't bothersome to you then leave it there or get it fixed. The radio I think you'll replace with a double din in due time. They're very reliable cars.
Old 09-29-14, 12:11 AM
mattr82
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for the replies. The inspection proved the car was in very good shape. The serpentine belt and rear brakes needed replacement/work and I was able to negotiable the price lower to accommodate these. One of the smaller lights in the front works when just the DRL's are on but when the larger lights are on too, it shuts off, will have to check this out. Thank you again and I look forward to being part of your community.
Old 09-30-14, 07:59 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the club.