GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Could my throttle body be the culprit?

Old 07-24-14, 10:09 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could my throttle body be the culprit?

So as some of you may know, I've been having some issues with my gs300. the Latest is oil soaking up my spark plugs. So I'm heading over to grab some valve cover gaskets. Im hoping this will solve my limp bull**** issue. I will be testing the TPS as well as the MAF too just in case.

My odd question is. When i turn the spring loaded throttle wheel on the throttle body that hooks to the throttle cable, I turn in about 30% and the butterfly valve doesn't move. Then to get the butterfly valve to open, i have to open it up all the way, and even once its turned as far as it has gone, the butterfly valve is maybe maybe 50% open.

Is this an issue? can i adjust it if it is? or do i need new supporting parts? or the whole throttle body?

any insight will help. thanks again guys

again though. this is for solving the gs300 hesitation issues. yes I've searched, but this throttle body thing is tripping me out.
Old 07-24-14, 01:11 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The part you're turning is actually the pedal position sensor for the electronic throttle. There is a failsafe mechanical link that will open the throttle partially. If you turn the car on (without running the engine) you will see the throttle move as you would expect it to during your test.
Old 07-24-14, 01:50 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

So here is an update. Im ****ed. i don't know what the **** is going on now.

I swapped out new spark plugs, and valve cover gaskets. new oil. put everything back together. start the car, it idles a little high. went to hit the gas a little. nothing.

go to hit the gas a lot, it revs up, i hear a pop. and smoke comes from the engine. I look. theres oil everywhere. looks like it came right out of where the valve cover seals are. WTF!!!! so I'm sure there is now oil again all over my spark plugs. i don't know what the **** to do. 13 cars and a street bike later, I'm finally going to give in and take a car into the shop :/ anybody know of any good shops in Orange county?
Old 07-24-14, 01:51 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

I'm also now getting a P2135, P0122 P0222 codes.
Old 07-24-14, 02:35 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So now your leaking oil too ? Post some pics.
Old 07-24-14, 06:12 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by clos430
So now your leaking oil too ? Post some pics.
I think the valve cover gaskets were not seated right. reseated it and it was fine. drove it around and revs picked up well.

Then all of a sudden, I'm in super limp mode. car takes forever to run through the revs, and takes half of my foot just to get the damn car to move from a stop. Of course no codes are coming up. but my traction light keeps randomly coming on and off for a few mins at a time. Im letting it cool down and I'm going to spray the connectors and reseat them. I am really over this car now.
Old 07-24-14, 06:43 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

and now my AC doesn't blow cold. lol wtf is going on.
Old 07-24-14, 08:00 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Start from scratch man, disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and retest everything. Drive it around and check for codes again.
Old 07-24-14, 08:29 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

i really don't want to have to tear it all down again. i just don't get it. No codes. cleaned the connectors, they snap in, no pulled wires. mind boggling. if it was the TPS or the lever assembly i would at least be getting some kind of code. but just my traction lights? WTF?
Old 07-24-14, 08:30 PM
gsbs300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool out.....I know what it's like to be frustrated with the car to the point that you wanna sell it.retrace your steps and check everything AGAIN ,reset ecu,check codes,go from there.

When you start getting frustrated is when you start overlooking little stuff.
Old 07-24-14, 08:42 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

You don't have to tear it back down, just reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes.
What kind of code reader are you using ? Some hand held scanners won't read trac/abs codes.
Old 07-24-14, 08:44 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsbs300
Cool out.....I know what it's like to be frustrated with the car to the point that you wanna sell it.retrace your steps and check everything AGAIN ,reset ecu,check codes,go from there.

When you start getting frustrated is when you start overlooking little stuff.
haha Truth!

Originally Posted by clos430
You don't have to tear it back down, just reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes.
What kind of code reader are you using ? Some hand held scanners won't read trac/abs codes.
Just a cheap *** one. you think auto zone or whatever would use a better one to possibly see something mine can't?
Old 07-24-14, 08:48 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe. Try resetting the ecu first.
Old 07-24-14, 08:49 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

just did. same results. idles fine. but is still in limp mode, with traction control lights on. no CEL
Old 07-24-14, 08:55 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

I think eventually the check engine light is gonna go on and throw a trouble code. I'd say drive it to a shop and have them read the DTC's. Or wait until the light comes on and read the engine code with your scanner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could my throttle body be the culprit?