GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 400 throwing codes, very nervous

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 04:33 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DRealist
When I search the codes I saw all the threads about the issue and from what I got from what people were saying is that it isn't that big of a deal. That is why I am so thrown off by the mechanics telling me that I need a total transmission rebuild. Is that what was said to everyone who had this problem? I hope it is and they just misdiagnosed it. I guess I just need to find someone who is willing to try it. How hard is it to learn on the fly how to get the tranny out? I have never done anything like this before but I am thinking about it.

People that don't know WILL freak out because they don't know they assume the car is toast once you mention transmission. All you have to do is drain the transmission fluid, remove the pan, remove the transmission filter and the solenoid will be staring right at you. Any shop or mechanic will charge you a nut.
Old 07-02-14, 10:02 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
People that don't know WILL freak out because they don't know they assume the car is toast once you mention transmission. All you have to do is drain the transmission fluid, remove the pan, remove the transmission filter and the solenoid will be staring right at you. Any shop or mechanic will charge you a nut.
EXACTLY Don't freak out man. Just read on here until you can't anymore. I'm sure you'll find a way to get your problem solved WITHOUT going to the STEALERSHIP BEST OF LUCK I HOPE YOUR ISSUES GET RESOLVED
Old 07-02-14, 11:57 AM
bonesnj0
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would drop pan then test each solenoid i believe that code is for a specific solenoid replace that one.
Better to learn how to do this then to take it to someone.
They make more money fooling you then just replacing what is needed.
Thats why you need to learn how to fix these cars yourself otherwise it will cost you a mint every time something breaks.
Plus you get the satisfaction of being able to fix yourself knowing it will be done right just take your time if you get stuck read and read and read the answer is here somewhere.
Old 07-02-14, 05:29 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah bro. Everybody on this forum will always try to steer you the right way. I've saved THOUSANDS on here reading DIYs. Even made one myself. I'm sure YOU DON'T NEED a new transmission. Read for those codes and ask more ppl. I haven't had this problem yet so I can't give you the straight forward advice as I do to other members with problems that we've had in common. Good luck with that. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 07-03-14, 03:37 AM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

OK I think I am going to try this I just need to find a video or a site with pictures with each step.
Old 07-03-14, 03:45 AM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bonesnj0
I would drop pan then test each solenoid i believe that code is for a specific solenoid replace that one.
Better to learn how to do this then to take it to someone.
They make more money fooling you then just replacing what is needed.
Thats why you need to learn how to fix these cars yourself otherwise it will cost you a mint every time something breaks.
Plus you get the satisfaction of being able to fix yourself knowing it will be done right just take your time if you get stuck read and read and read the answer is here somewhere.
I am always worried that I am going to do something wrong and the car will be in even worse condition than it was to start lol. I am reading tho. I am going to give it a shot.
Old 07-03-14, 03:52 AM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone I feel a little better now. How long do I have to get this done? The transmission won't stop on me will it?
Old 07-03-14, 02:39 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P0763 is your solenoid "c". It's a popular issue here, but very fixable. Haha no need for a rebuild. Search here.
LOLOLOL P0763 ALRIGHT GUYS!!!! THIS ONES GOING TO NEED A NEW TRANNY ALRIGHT!!!! WOW ************* CROOKS!!!!!!!! It IRRITATES THE HELL OUT OF ME HOW THESE TECHS KNOW WHAT NEEDS REPLACING, AND THEY RAPE PEOPLE FOR THERE HARD EARNED MONEY, LYING TO THEM WITH A BOGUS CLAIM, "your transmission will blow and you'll end up stuck on the side of the road, and if your transmission blows, well then that causes bent valves in the motor, and you'll then need to replace THE ENTIRE motor as well..... O yea, and your car has a 50/50 chance of catching fire...." LOLOL!!!! Ahhhh man.... So what's up are you mechanically inclined? I'm going to drop a Trans and the oil pan today, want me to make you a quick DIY, may not be 100% step by step but it'll get you to get your oil pan off, and what to replace and clean, and out back together... actually, maybe I'll drop the Trans first, and do it with it off, like Jeff's timing belt job except, I'll finish this one for you.... OOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by GSGenesis; 07-03-14 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-03-14, 02:43 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone I feel a little better now. How long do I have to get this done? The transmission won't stop on me will it?
Bro, you better get started, you've honestly got like, (Looking at watch)........... 6 hours and 20 minutes before what I mentioned above begins....

No I'm kidding, I'd just try and do it as soon as you could man, you don't want to cause any issues because you procrastinated getting it done you know.... And mean time, you will end it with a full tranny flush too... A+, that's easy as well.
Old 07-03-14, 10:46 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSGenesis

LOLOLOL P0763 ALRIGHT GUYS!!!! THIS ONES GOING TO NEED A NEW TRANNY ALRIGHT!!!! WOW ************* CROOKS!!!!!!!! It IRRITATES THE HELL OUT OF ME HOW THESE TECHS KNOW WHAT NEEDS REPLACING, AND THEY RAPE PEOPLE FOR THERE HARD EARNED MONEY, LYING TO THEM WITH A BOGUS CLAIM, "your transmission will blow and you'll end up stuck on the side of the road, and if your transmission blows, well then that causes bent valves in the motor, and you'll then need to replace THE ENTIRE motor as well..... O yea, and your car has a 50/50 chance of catching fire...." LOLOL!!!! Ahhhh man.... So what's up are you mechanically inclined? I'm going to drop a Trans and the oil pan today, want me to make you a quick DIY, may not be 100% step by step but it'll get you to get your oil pan off, and what to replace and clean, and out back together... actually, maybe I'll drop the Trans first, and do it with it off, like Jeff's timing belt job except, I'll finish this one for you.... OOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Looking forward to your pics bro! Show us how it's done! Do it like you mean it with passion! ☺☺☺☺
Old 07-04-14, 06:34 AM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

What do I need to test the solenoids?
Old 07-04-14, 06:41 AM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
The bad part is that is what Lexus told me. They told me that "my tranny would completely die it could be a month from now, it could be the next day, or it could have be when I start the car up to leave the shop." But then they called me the next day trying to get me to trade in my car for a newer one.

That would be great if you could do a demonstration. It would increase my chances of not screwing up.
Old 07-04-14, 06:46 AM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

What is more likely, that I need to replace a solenoid, I need to replace multiple solenoids, or I just have a bad connection and it just needs bent?
Old 07-04-14, 04:13 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What is more likely, that I need to replace a solenoid, I need to replace multiple solenoids, or I just have a bad connection and it just needs bent?
More than likely solenoid c = 0763 is bad. Replace the part and you're done.
Old 07-04-14, 06:44 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

You can use jumper wires and a 9 volt battery to test...

Quick Reply: GS 400 throwing codes, very nervous