GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 400 throwing codes, very nervous

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 02:25 PM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 400 throwing codes, very nervous

Hello all I am new to this forum, but have heard this is the best place to get information. My '98 GS4 CEL is on. I took it to AutoZone and they got 2 codes from it. The codes are P0763 and P0715. The first said "shift solenoid circuit fault" and the second said "main shaft speed sensor circuit fault". How bad are these? I am very worried about these codes. My car has between 106 and 107 thousand miles on it so are these normal maintenance issues? Also, what else can I expect to need to replace soon? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-14, 02:39 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Sorry double post
Old 06-29-14, 02:40 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Found this from a google search:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tml?styleid=14
Old 06-30-14, 11:38 AM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
Thanks for the link, but now I am even more confused. I read the link that you posted as well as some others and I started to feel better about my situation, but then today I took it to my mechanic. My mechanic told me that I need to rebuild the whole tranny and that it will be about $1600. One the forums it seemed like it was an easy fix by just swapping out parts. I am debating if I should take it to the Lexus dealer or not. They want $159 just to look at it.
Old 06-30-14, 12:44 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DRealist
Thanks for the link, but now I am even more confused. I read the link that you posted as well as some others and I started to feel better about my situation, but then today I took it to my mechanic. My mechanic told me that I need to rebuild the whole tranny and that it will be about $1600. One the forums it seemed like it was an easy fix by just swapping out parts. I am debating if I should take it to the Lexus dealer or not. They want $159 just to look at it.
I'd take it to a good transmission shop in your town, I use yelp to look. Let them take a look at it, I doubt you need a rebuild...
Old 07-01-14, 10:11 AM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

I took it to the dealer and they too said that I need a complete rebuild and that it would be $4428 to fix it. Now I don't know what to do. That is a lot of money and that isn't including the ball joint that needs replaced as well. Any one recommend somewhere in North Jersey to take this car too?
Old 07-01-14, 12:34 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How the hell is it he needs a new transmission? Or a "rebuild" do you have there diagnosis sheets? What EXACTLY is it that they claim deems a entire transmission rebuild? By rebuild do they mean dropping the oil pan, and swapping shift solenoids? Or what parts are they claiming? $4600? They can blow $4600 right up there *** that's a joke!!! Jeez what crooks unreal. Worst case scenario, you pick up a used trans from someone on here, and swap with another, that's not a common thing so don't think replacing it with a used Trans you should be expecting the same to happen again... Nonsense... Do it yourself and save over $4000, it's not difficult at all, just time consuming.
Old 07-01-14, 02:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you do need a rebuild or new tranny to the tune of $4k+ I would instantly give IPT a call and have them sell you a fully built brand new tranny for $2800 and simply have someone install it for $500. The car, even in stock power form will shift better and faster making the car quicker. Plus, should you ever go forced induction the tranny would never hold you back.

Do this only if you absolutely find that you need a rebuilt or new tranny. My $0.02....good luck.
Old 07-01-14, 02:46 PM
bonesnj0
Rookie

Find out the one that's bad replace same or better yet some times you can bend connector and it will start working do not take to dealer or these ripoff trans shops!
Dealers and trans shops basically rape you!
Look up post for trans solenoid valve.
Old 07-01-14, 04:03 PM
rofflehous
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or buy a used trans for 450 bucks.
Old 07-01-14, 06:29 PM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
How the hell is it he needs a new transmission? Or a "rebuild" do you have there diagnosis sheets? What EXACTLY is it that they claim deems a entire transmission rebuild? By rebuild do they mean dropping the oil pan, and swapping shift solenoids? Or what parts are they claiming? $4600? They can blow $4600 right up there *** that's a joke!!! Jeez what crooks unreal. Worst case scenario, you pick up a used trans from someone on here, and swap with another, that's not a common thing so don't think replacing it with a used Trans you should be expecting the same to happen again... Nonsense... Do it yourself and save over $4000, it's not difficult at all, just time consuming.

I do have the diagnosis sheet is there a way I can scan it and put it on here so you all can interpret it? The private mechanic told me that he just went off what the codes said and that he didn't get a chance to do an in-depth check but he told me to bring it back later in the week so he can check it all the way through. But the Lexus dealer claimed they checked it thoroughly. They told me that the P0763 code is because the tranny needs replaced and the p0715 code could be showing up because of the first code, but it may be a bad ECU.
Old 07-01-14, 06:38 PM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

Here is what the first paragraph says word for word.:

"106312 Verified trans codes P0763 and P0715. Scanned vehicle to see sensors and actuators response. Roadtested, vehicle bangs in to gears. Will recommend transmission replacement, and recheck. Code P0715 turbine speed could mean ECU malfunction, must replace transmission and recheck."

I hope they are just overreacting. I am not good at doing my own work on my cars or I would try it myself. I want someone to try the "bend thing".
Old 07-01-14, 06:39 PM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bonesnj0
Find out the one that's bad replace same or better yet some times you can bend connector and it will start working do not take to dealer or these ripoff trans shops!
Dealers and trans shops basically rape you!
Look up post for trans solenoid valve.
What part of Jersey are you in? Do you have any shops you would recommend?
Old 07-01-14, 09:20 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DRealist
Hello all I am new to this forum, but have heard this is the best place to get information. My '98 GS4 CEL is on. I took it to AutoZone and they got 2 codes from it. The codes are P0763 and P0715. The first said "shift solenoid circuit fault" and the second said "main shaft speed sensor circuit fault". How bad are these? I am very worried about these codes. My car has between 106 and 107 thousand miles on it so are these normal maintenance issues? Also, what else can I expect to need to replace soon? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
P0763 is your solenoid "c". It's a popular issue here, but very fixable. Haha no need for a rebuild. Search here.
Old 07-02-14, 03:53 AM
DRealist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
P0763 is your solenoid "c". It's a popular issue here, but very fixable. Haha no need for a rebuild. Search here.
When I search the codes I saw all the threads about the issue and from what I got from what people were saying is that it isn't that big of a deal. That is why I am so thrown off by the mechanics telling me that I need a total transmission rebuild. Is that what was said to everyone who had this problem? I hope it is and they just misdiagnosed it. I guess I just need to find someone who is willing to try it. How hard is it to learn on the fly how to get the tranny out? I have never done anything like this before but I am thinking about it.

Quick Reply: GS 400 throwing codes, very nervous