GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weird Steering Column Noise - Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 09:49 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Steering Column Noise - Please Help!!

Okay guys, this has been bothering the you know what out of me and I need to figure out what is making this sound. This sound is also present when I go over the bump backing out of a drive way while turning the wheel, and it also happens occasionally while driving and going over bumps, especially while turning.

Please help me diagnose this issue!!!

Last edited by Behemoth7; 06-12-14 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-14-14, 12:02 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
Okay guys, this has been bothering the you know what out of me and I need to figure out what is making this sound. This sound is also present when I go over the bump backing out of a drive way while turning the wheel, and it also happens occasionally while driving and going over bumps, especially while turning.

Please help me diagnose this issue!!!

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5lMeW1LR3k
Sounds like something can be loose somewhere inside the steering wheel housing. Hopefully it's something minor. Those plastics are fairly easy to take apart. Try and diagnose it yourself thru trial and error on your spare time bud. I hope your problem is resolved!!
Old 06-16-14, 11:15 AM
MotoEvo
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me it was the inner tie rods that were the culprit. Had the same issues with the clunking and popping which got worse over time. Also, check the u-joint on the steering column for play. You can access it by removing the driver kick panel to see it. Some people have used some cable ties to remove the slop if I remember correctly.
Old 06-16-14, 03:26 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MotoEvo
For me it was the inner tie rods that were the culprit. Had the same issues with the clunking and popping which got worse over time. Also, check the u-joint on the steering column for play. You can access it by removing the driver kick panel to see it. Some people have used some cable ties to remove the slop if I remember correctly.
When I took it to my shop they said the rack was fine, I'd love to get more info on this u joint. How do I remove the kick panel? And in which way would I use the zip ties? Thank you so much for the responses!
Old 06-16-14, 03:39 PM
MotoEvo
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread references the zip tie method on the u-joint along with a picture. The kick panel is just the piece that sits in front of your knees which covers the steering column. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-movement.html

If that doesn't solve your issue, I would lean towards looking at the inner tie rods. Your ball joints have already been replaced right?
Old 06-17-14, 10:16 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

I have the SAME problem and it has been annoying the HELL out of me. I think I remember reading a while back that there is a bushing in the steering column that can be replaced and maybe this is it? feels like a rubber bushing is slightly loose and allowing this play and noise. Its definitely not the tie rods as the sound for sure comes from the steering column. I would love it if we can all figure this one out as this drives me crazy.
Old 06-18-14, 06:39 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I have the SAME problem and it has been annoying the HELL out of me. I think I remember reading a while back that there is a bushing in the steering column that can be replaced and maybe this is it? feels like a rubber bushing is slightly loose and allowing this play and noise. Its definitely not the tie rods as the sound for sure comes from the steering column. I would love it if we can all figure this one out as this drives me crazy.
Glad to hear i'm not the only one! Hopefully we can figure this one out because it drives me NUTS.
Old 06-20-14, 06:24 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Hey guys, I've done some reading on this issue with other vehicles, and it seems like most often the problem lies in the intermediate steering shaft. I found one on eBay for cheap, I'll let you guys know if it fixes my issue