GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gear stuck and AC, stereo, and windows not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-14, 08:24 AM
ootah
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Gear stuck and AC, stereo, and windows not working

Hi!

I just bought a used 2001 Lexus GS300 last week. Everything was working great so far.

Except that today, when I got into the car and rolled my windows down and then tried to roll them back up, they got stuck. What's more is that the gear is stuck in park, and the AC and stereo also don't work.

There doesn't seem to be any one fuse that affects all these (maybe I'm wrong), and I couldn't find too much information about the relays in the manual.

I was able to close my windows by holding the key in the door in the lock position for a few seconds, as per the manual.

Has anyone had such an issue with their Lexus or Toyota?

HELP!

UPDATE: Also noticed that the "BRAKE" dashboard light is on.

Last edited by ootah; 04-12-14 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-12-14, 12:52 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You need a new battery, happened to me twice, replaced battery and terminals, all fixed instantly, if you live in very cold climate in the winters, batteries only last 2 years max if you don't have a garage...
Old 04-12-14, 02:20 PM
ootah
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it's the battery, the car starts just fine. Plus, I just installed the new Duralast battery on Monday.
Old 04-12-14, 02:46 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ootah
I don't think it's the battery, the car starts just fine. Plus, I just installed the new Duralast battery on Monday.
Might be your terminals, my battery tested fine at advanced auto but I don't trust those readers, I never had a starting problem either, but that was my problem TWICE...
Old 04-12-14, 03:54 PM
ootah
Driver School Candidate

So there can be a problem with the battery even though the car starts fine? Also, I was able to drive the car around after manually overriding the shift.
Old 04-12-14, 04:37 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

So there can be a problem with the battery even though the car starts fine? Also, I was able to drive the car around after manually overriding the shift.
Yes their can, this is the most sensitive car when it comes to electronics and the battery I've ever owned in my life, I have to replace my battery every two years cause of sitting outside in winters, it's my daily, go grab a new POSITIVE battery terminal at advanced auto and see if that works for u..
The following users liked this post:
Greatdav (01-01-22)
Old 04-12-14, 07:15 PM
ootah
Driver School Candidate

I had the guys at an Autozone check the terminals, and they say it looks good. I'll get a new one anyway if you say so, but I have an update that I'd like your opinion on first.

So after driving the car, there's a lot more stuff that's not working. The speedometer and the power steering, for example. This makes me think maybe there's a computer failure? All these things are computer assisted, right? Or if not the computer, then at least some kind of circuitry. Thoughts?
Old 04-12-14, 07:22 PM
chrcrou26
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a leaking capacitor on the ecu maybe although rare in the gs....more of n LS problem
Old 04-12-14, 09:00 PM
ootah
Driver School Candidate

Where's this ECU? Is that electrical control unit?
Old 04-12-14, 11:51 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Yikes, Yup that def sounds like an ecu problem buddy, I believe it's behind the drivers side headlight but I believe their are several, don't quote me on that, not a very common problem.
Old 04-13-14, 08:48 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ECUs are relatively expensive. I would at least try the battery first. Especially if yours is over 2 years old. Like thye said, these cars are sensitive to battery issues. Just because it cranks the car doesn't mention it can't cause other issues.
Greatdav (01-01-22)
Old 04-14-14, 04:25 PM
ootah
Driver School Candidate

Got it fixed today. It was the ECU! It wasn't getting any power. Luckily I found a nice mechanic, so he actually diagnosed it and found a shorted wire. Cost a mere $150 to fix.
Greatdav (01-01-22)
Old 04-14-14, 04:33 PM
chrcrou26
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You dodge the big one there lol
Old 09-19-19, 06:11 AM
TurnerGrns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I just bought a used 2001 Lexus GS300 last week. Everything was working great so far.

Except that today, when I got into the car and rolled my windows down and then tried to roll them back up, they got stuck. What's more is that the gear is stuck in park, and the AC and stereo also don't work.

There doesn't seem to be any one fuse that affects all these (maybe I'm wrong), and I couldn't find too much information about the relays in the manual.

I was able to close my windows by holding the key in the door in the lock position for a few seconds, as per the manual.

Has anyone had such an issue with their Lexus or Toyota?

HELP!

UPDATE: Also noticed that the "BRAKE" dashboard light is on.
The same exact thing happened to me, how do I fix it?
Old 09-19-19, 06:26 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Old thread from April 2014. But do like he did. Take the car in for a diagnosis if you dont know how to voltage/ohm check the pcm.

Quick Reply: Gear stuck and AC, stereo, and windows not working