GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Advice on coolant drain and fill

Old 03-02-14, 04:37 PM
gstreee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on coolant drain and fill

hello members, I saw on "da intanet" that having non-oem vs the oem toyota red or pink coolant/antifreeze affects cooling and heating in your car. ive been having heating problems, not necessarily due to coolant prob servos or heater core or something but i would like to do a coolant drain and fill? is it wise to switch to the oem toyota coolant now after having reg peak brand green color from autozone? I drive a 98 gs300. Also does anyone know good shops to do a drain n fill in nyc or is this something any mechanic can do blindfolded? Thonks
Old 03-02-14, 04:50 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

what heating problems? like your heater won't turn on?
Old 03-02-14, 05:10 PM
gstreee
Rookie

Originally Posted by offbad
what heating problems? like your heater won't turn on?
like it only blows cold air not hot air.......the air flow functions and directions work fine just no hot air....
Old 03-02-14, 06:44 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Toyota red or pink coolants don't have any silicates. The most commonly used green coolants do. They should NOT be mixed. Mixing can shorten the life of the coolant itself and possibly cause damage to the coolant system parts. Depending on whether the part is made of aluminum or copper it could wear out prematurely. But equally important, mixing silicate coolant with non-silicate coolant can cause the silicates to precipitate out of the liquid. This may very well clog the radiator and/or the heater core. The car may only blow cold air as no coolant would flow through the heater core. Sound familiar?

Thing is you really can't tell by color alone except in a few select cases. We know Toyota red and pink are non-silicates. There are other color non-silicate coolants out there, including some green ones. There are also some red coolants that contain silicates. Unless you are going with a genuine Toyota brand, you MUST read the label. I wouldn't put anything in my car that wasn't an exact chemical match to Toyota red or pink. In fact, I just did a drain and fill. I hated to do it but I paid the $30 for a gallon of red rather than take the chance.
Old 03-02-14, 07:07 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't get all caught up in the "Toyota red vs the world" game, haha. Read your owners manual it specifically says:

"TOYOTA Long Life Coolant" (TOYOTA LLC) or equivalent, with ethylene-glycol type coolant for proper corrosion protection of aluminum components

This means as long as it contains ETHYLENE-GLYCOL then you are good. I'm not making this stuff up, this is not a debate, it's in the manual. People will put their "whole check" on Toyota Red, but I've never used it, and I'm at 225K, and it's blowing hot air when it needs to.
Old 03-02-14, 07:23 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
Don't get all caught up in the "Toyota red vs the world" game, haha. Read your owners manual it specifically says:

"TOYOTA Long Life Coolant" (TOYOTA LLC) or equivalent, with ethylene-glycol type coolant for proper corrosion protection of aluminum components

This means as long as it contains ETHYLENE-GLYCOL then you are good. I'm not making this stuff up, this is not a debate, it's in the manual. People will put their "whole check" on Toyota Red, but I've never used it, and I'm at 225K, and it's blowing hot air when it needs to.
It is not as simple as you make it seem. Virtually all coolants contain ethyl glycol. It is not the ethyl glycol that is the problem. It is the silicates or lack thereof. I agree, it really doesn't matter which one you use, as long as you DO NOT mix them. Mixing an ethyl glycol coolant that contains silicates with an ethyl glycol coolant that does not is asking for trouble. Check out this article.

http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/Extension/...es/engcool.htm
Old 03-02-14, 07:53 PM
czr73
Driver

You can't go wrong with the manufactures OEM brand and the price difference is worth it so why wouldn't you go with OEM !?!
Your heating problem could be several things including faulty ECT sensor or faulty thermostat. A coolant flush is recommended annually but most people do it every few years.
Depends on how you use your car, terrain, climate etc.

Last edited by czr73; 03-02-14 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-02-14, 09:29 PM
gstreee
Rookie

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
The Toyota red or pink coolants don't have any silicates. The most commonly used green coolants do. They should NOT be mixed. Mixing can shorten the life of the coolant itself and possibly cause damage to the coolant system parts. Depending on whether the part is made of aluminum or copper it could wear out prematurely. But equally important, mixing silicate coolant with non-silicate coolant can cause the silicates to precipitate out of the liquid. This may very well clog the radiator and/or the heater core. The car may only blow cold air as no coolant would flow through the heater core. Sound familiar?

Thing is you really can't tell by color alone except in a few select cases. We know Toyota red and pink are non-silicates. There are other color non-silicate coolants out there, including some green ones. There are also some red coolants that contain silicates. Unless you are going with a genuine Toyota brand, you MUST read the label. I wouldn't put anything in my car that wasn't an exact chemical match to Toyota red or pink. In fact, I just did a drain and fill. I hated to do it but I paid the $30 for a gallon of red rather than take the chance.
thanks for your input. So the best thing to do at this point is continue using my peak 50/50 green coolant from autozone because if i do start using toyota red im asking for trouble? correct? and its a possibility that previous owner of my car didnt continue using oem toyota red and thus my heating issue?
Old 03-02-14, 10:42 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Yes, that is what I am saying. If it were me, I would give it a good drain and flush. I mean more than just drain and refill. You need to get ALL the old coolant out. You can get a DIY kit along with a chemical flush at your local parts store. They are cheap and easy. The chemical flush will help dissolve built up deposits. It may even fix your problem. After that, it doesn't matter much which type coolant you use since you won't be mixing them and will have only one type coolant in the system.