GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-17, 11:37 AM
Drpheel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Hey guys! Phil here from Ottawa Canada. Just got a nice 02 gs430 for cheap because of a climate controle issue. Signed up because id like to post a thread soon when i have time to look at the car and troubleshoot it myself to see if what the lady told is me right. Hopefully I can source some good info and parts to get her back on the road
Old 02-22-17, 12:08 PM
Ecohman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drpheel
Hey guys! Phil here from Ottawa Canada. Just got a nice 02 gs430 for cheap because of a climate controle issue. Signed up because id like to post a thread soon when i have time to look at the car and troubleshoot it myself to see if what the lady told is me right. Hopefully I can source some good info and parts to get her back on the road
Welcome Phil!
I really like my 02 430. They are hot rods. There are of course some faster cars out there, but the GS430 is a quick little 150 mph vehicle. Faster than most of the golden age muscle cars, and light years quieter, better ride, and handling. And then reliability and durability are in a different universe.
Old 02-22-17, 03:54 PM
gu3rr13r
Driver School Candidate

Default First Car

Hey, my names ken i have an 01 GS430 silver with the tan interior. and the Mark Levinson audio package that came with the amp and stock 10in sub. My car has several names "Lillian the Lexus", "Maxine", and "Katsumi" which is what i call her. Im planning on modding it starting with a short ram intake and bigger brakes followed by new headers and exhaust and later on down the road air bags and a supercharger. Everything else is cosmetic like Oracle interior color shift lights, stickers lol and evetually Oracle color shift head lights and LED brake/tail lights. but so far the only thing ive done to it is repairs.
Old 02-23-17, 10:24 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gu3rr13r
Hey, my names ken i have an 01 GS430 silver with the tan interior. and the Mark Levinson audio package that came with the amp and stock 10in sub. My car has several names "Lillian the Lexus", "Maxine", and "Katsumi" which is what i call her. Im planning on modding it starting with a short ram intake and bigger brakes followed by new headers and exhaust and later on down the road air bags and a supercharger. Everything else is cosmetic like Oracle interior color shift lights, stickers lol and evetually Oracle color shift head lights and LED brake/tail lights. but so far the only thing ive done to it is repairs.
Love the GS430. If you're interested in wheels, tires, suspension or exhaust, please PM.
Old 02-24-17, 09:46 AM
HuberNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Bad *****

Hi, Nick from St Louis Missouri here. I have a 1999 gs400, black exterior, black leather interior with wood panelling and it being my first car, it is probably the only car i ever want to have now as it has everything i love in the sportiness, being able to customize, and then being family friendly four door as well, "its a four door supra basically" i saw somebody say once. im runnin around 245k miles right now on the VVT-i 1UZ-FE and theres some odds and ends and a bit of tlc until shes runnin thrashy again, but godd*amn that is a smooth, strong running vehicle and ive been in a few. I plan on doing minor upgrades to the intake, exhaust, suspension in the next 6-8 months financially depending, and then replacing and fixing up the oem parts, replacing old wires, connects etc. The interior is still beautiful and apart from the sound system, (which ive already replaced the factory 10" with a kicker c10 and then used a few of the threads on CL to wire an amp to the trunk) nothing needs to be touched except its weekly cleaning and vacuuming. but all in all i am in love with this Sturdy Bird and can see why everyone else loves them the way they do. Names for ole girl are Bad *****, Sturdy Bird, and Black Beauty.

Last edited by HuberNick; 02-24-17 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-25-17, 11:11 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HuberNick
Hi, Nick from St Louis Missouri here. I have a 1999 gs400, black exterior, black leather interior with wood panelling and it being my first car, it is probably the only car i ever want to have now as it has everything i love in the sportiness, being able to customize, and then being family friendly four door as well, "its a four door supra basically" i saw somebody say once. im runnin around 245k miles right now on the VVT-i 1UZ-FE and theres some odds and ends and a bit of tlc until shes runnin thrashy again, but godd*amn that is a smooth, strong running vehicle and ive been in a few. I plan on doing minor upgrades to the intake, exhaust, suspension in the next 6-8 months financially depending, and then replacing and fixing up the oem parts, replacing old wires, connects etc. The interior is still beautiful and apart from the sound system, (which ive already replaced the factory 10" with a kicker c10 and then used a few of the threads on CL to wire an amp to the trunk) nothing needs to be touched except its weekly cleaning and vacuuming. but all in all i am in love with this Sturdy Bird and can see why everyone else loves them the way they do. Names for ole girl are Bad *****, Sturdy Bird, and Black Beauty.
Congrats!!! Feel free to PM for all your modification needs.

We ship worldwide.
Old 02-25-17, 11:43 AM
Jerdog
Driver School Candidate

Greetings from sunny AZ! I have rescued an 04 GS 430 w/ 149k on the clock. I simply can not believe how tight this car is for the mileage and the years. I just did the TB/WP added 4 new tires & was told by the local dealer that it needs a couple of grand in front end work, I'll be researching their stated opinion. For now I'm just going through the car and taking care of the little things.
I look forward to soaking up the knowledge found here! It has been awhile since I've been on the boards so I may be a bit rusty, but hope to have a positive impact here on Club Lexus.
Old 02-27-17, 08:30 AM
bjamesr
Driver School Candidate

Wink Hello All,

How is it going I have a 2003 lxus gs 430 with 193,000 miles have recently replaced starter. Car runs great excep[t for recent belt squeling and battery light, I have already replaced the belt when the noise started happeing, have now removed to check for any seized pulleys which I have only c ome across the alternator which turns with my hand but will not freely spin like the other idlers/pulleys. Also Im unsure if the crankshaft pulley should turn at all as it is the only one i can say isnt turning at all.
Old 03-01-17, 08:44 PM
PhatGs3000
Driver School Candidate

Hi my name is Justin, I live in Daytona Beach FL, work at a car audio shop. Bought my first Lexus. It's black on black wheels with tan interior. I have the pioneer sound system. I have couple questions,

1. with 170k Miles and no record of any repairs what should I be expecting or what should I look into fixing?

2. When I fill up my tank, my car doesn't want run properly, it's Sutters and shuts off. After its sits and I rev it a little it runs fine after that, what's is the problem?

3. I wanna do aftermarket parts on the car, intake, exhaust, turbo. Bigger brakes. What brands should I stay away from and what brands should I lean towards.

4. What oil do I use to do an oil change. And how much oil does it take?
Old 03-02-17, 03:49 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatGs3000
Hi my name is Justin, I live in Daytona Beach FL, work at a car audio shop. Bought my first Lexus. It's black on black wheels with tan interior. I have the pioneer sound system. I have couple questions,

1. with 170k Miles and no record of any repairs what should I be expecting or what should I look into fixing?
I would suggest the ball joints, link ends, sway bar/steering bushings, and timing belt change.

2. When I fill up my tank, my car doesn't want run properly, it's Sutters and shuts off. After its sits and I rev it a little it runs fine after that, what's is the problem?
Sounds like it could be a dirty MAF, dirty throttle body, and/or even a dirty throttle position sensor. But I wouldn't rule out water in the fuel tank. Fuel filter change too....

3. I wanna do aftermarket parts on the car, intake, exhaust, turbo. Bigger brakes. What brands should I stay away from and what brands should I lean towards.
This question so open ended that any one person cannot effectively answer. The best thing for you to do is perform searches on single items you wish to upgrade or replace, browse build threads, and Google your butt off. There are so many great solutions and opinions it would not be fair for one or a few of us to push you in a direction you might later rethink. The searching will help educate your question and will garner more direct answers to support your decision making.

4. What oil do I use to do an oil change. And how much oil does it take?
Need model, is it a 300/400/430.....?
Old 03-03-17, 10:54 PM
wakim
Driver School Candidate

Default New from Fresno, CA

Wassup ClubLexus!
I am new here and just picked up a 2001 Lexus GS300 Cinnabar Pearl with 87,xxx miles.
This car has been kept in such good condition, it has nearly flawless interior with not a single rip on the black leather interior. I fell in love with it as soon as I sat down in the car. Paint is beautiful all around except a little damage on the rear bumper.
Looks like that only thing I need to do is the common valve cover gasket replacement.
Time to make this GS VIP! Will post pics soon!
Old 03-06-17, 12:48 PM
sverma
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,

My name is Sanjay, a new member but an old owner. Own a 1998 GS400 since 2000. Car has 250K miles of which I put in 220K miles. Runs like a charm with only some minor irritants like inoperative door lock actuators, moody steering column adjustment, etc.

It is Gold exterior, beige interior.

Just a recent issue with broken slide plastic underneath the auto-shift. Any links to help replacing this would be helpful.
Thanks.
Old 03-15-17, 09:34 AM
RichGS300
Driver School Candidate

Whats going on everyone,

My names Richard and i purchased my GS300 back in november. Not a stranger to the forums and i'm glad to finally be a part of this one.
Old 03-17-17, 06:30 AM
EJavierM
Driver School Candidate

good morning everyone,
name is Elvis, new to the forum, just bought a 99' gs300, champagne/gold color, beige leather interior, no mods yet....yet. 2nd owner, previous owner had all the service done at the dealer
it's in awesome shape.
now off to do my first mod, double din radio, AVH X391BHS Pioneer.
looking forward to a great time here with everyone(and my car)
Old 03-24-17, 03:58 PM
DWCOILE
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamesr
How is it going I have a 2003 lxus gs 430 with 193,000 miles have recently replaced starter. Car runs great excep[t for recent belt squeling and battery light, I have already replaced the belt when the noise started happeing, have now removed to check for any seized pulleys which I have only c ome across the alternator which turns with my hand but will not freely spin like the other idlers/pulleys. Also Im unsure if the crankshaft pulley should turn at all as it is the only one i can say isnt turning at all.
bjamesr all the pulleys except the crankshaft should spin freely, easy spin = 3-4 revs. Put a new serp belt on it and go from there. pm me if you have any issues or questions. or Text bc i am not on here too much.

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE