GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Purchasing a high mileage gs300? HELP AZ

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 05:39 PM
StxlfvsGS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chankeye
i bought my 03 gs300 at 214,000 miles. Did a carfax, test drove it, and found nothing majorly wrong with it. My main concern was that the engine and trans was still solid, the interior was fairly clean, and the paint was in decent condition. suspension parts are easily replaced so it wasn't that much of a concern in that area. I've had the car for a little over a year and have replaced the timing belt/ tensioner, lower balljoints, 1 front wheel bearing, caster arm bushings, radiator, and did a transmission drain and fill within that time period. Car is still rock solid and most people that see it don't really believe it has as high mileage as it does. These cars are amazingly reliable if taken care of properly so i see no reason not to buy that car in your craigslist ad. good luck !
How much did replacing all of that end up costing you in total? And particularly the ball joints, how much were those?
Old 02-09-14, 07:44 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gsbs300
He never said that timing belt was original.i mean 244k miles on the original timing belt?and nobody is leading him on. Just not trying to criticize and tell him what he can and can't afford like you are.
Kid, go back under a rock ok! Did I ever say the OP stated that? Learn to read ok. I clearly stated that "it could be the original TB" because I've read about a few original TB being changed at 180k plus miles. If there is no history of the TB being changed and the owner is saying that it needs to be changed, then you should assume for the worst before you trash the engine. I was told by a certified Lexus tech that the 90k change was oversold for profit to the stealership. He said that belt can easily do 150k, thus the reason why everyone always state that the belt looked "new" at 90k when they changed it. Also, I didn't say he can't afford a swap, I clearly stated that if he can't afford to pay for the TB change now, then he doesn't need to look at doing a swap currently because it cost a lot to do that. I didn't attack him, I was speaking facts. Kids now and days...I see more and more why some of the older people are getting sick of this side of the forum now.
Old 02-09-14, 07:47 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by StxlfvsGS3
I actually am going to have the TB done as well as the water pump. I actually got a guy who said he'd do it for $500 with parts and labor. I'm considering a swap down the road. Right now I'm just going to give the car some TLC first.
Ok great! You can go to RockAuto and find the OEM TB kit for a great price. I actually used the Gates kit, but either one will serve you well. Have fun with it. I wasn't attacking you as some would ASSume, I was coming off letting you know that changing of the TB is very important, along with changing those LBJ's ASAP.
Old 02-09-14, 08:01 PM
merk1991
Driver School Candidate

go for it bro i bought a 98 gs400 from some kid in flagstaff with almost 300,000 and honestly still feels strong has some crazy power kinda liking these 1uz's
Old 02-09-14, 08:12 PM
StxlfvsGS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Ok great! You can go to RockAuto and find the OEM TB kit for a great price. I actually used the Gates kit, but either one will serve you well. Have fun with it. I wasn't attacking you as some would ASSume, I was coming off letting you know that changing of the TB is very important, along with changing those LBJ's ASAP.
Thanks man. I actually go to RockAuto for all my auto parts because it always has smokin' deals on EVERYTHING. Lol. And no worries I know you weren't attacking me. I'm just on here for advice and everyone has done a great job doing that. Do you know how much it cost to replace the LBJ's?
Old 02-09-14, 08:14 PM
StxlfvsGS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by merk1991
go for it bro i bought a 98 gs400 from some kid in flagstaff with almost 300,000 and honestly still feels strong has some crazy power kinda liking these 1uz's
Lol, that's crazy man. Are there any clubs out here?
Old 02-09-14, 08:16 PM
StxlfvsGS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sevenevez
heck yeah. looks clean considering mileage and age. did they do maintenance timing belt etc.. and plan on replacing your ball joints ( its just a common thing with 2GS ). $2900 sounds good for a pretty clean 01
Hey man btw, your gs4 was the reason I wanted to even get gs. I love your car and everything you've done with it. Perfection.
Old 02-09-14, 08:35 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Thanks man. I actually go to RockAuto for all my auto parts because it always has smokin' deals on EVERYTHING. Lol. And no worries I know you weren't attacking me. I'm just on here for advice and everyone has done a great job doing that. Do you know how much it cost to replace the LBJ's?
It varied. I took mine to a local suspension shop and paid $60 labor without parts. Time is money so I didnt attempt the DIY myself.
Old 02-09-14, 09:36 PM
Chankeye
Driver

How much did replacing all of that end up costing you in total? And particularly the ball joints, how much were those?
I'm a mechanic, so i really only had to pay for parts. I got all my fluid for the trans from my work (toyota)so no cost there. I would say i spent around 400 just for parts i had to buy. The caster bushings were solid urethane ugrades so that was a little bit more expensive than if i would have just got oe replacement ones from rock auto. i think i spent about 80 bucks on both front moog brand balljoints. I just recently spent another 200 bucks on valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires, front seals, water pump, radiator hoses..ect. Just waiting on some free time to do it all.
Old 02-10-14, 07:13 AM
gsbs300
Driver

You just went back on yourself? First it was change the tb now before your engine gets trashed .now your telling folks that A Lexus tech told you it's okay till 150k? If the timing belt really last 150k then he shouldn't even have to change it again till 300k ?? Right?? I mean that's what your saying.and far as the swap.i don't know about how it was back in your day since I'm such a kid but it's not polite to tell people what's financially possible for them now-a-days .(I.e if you can't afford to change the TB now don't even think about a swap.)he never said he couldn't afford to change it now.he simply asked if it was okay to drive for a little bit.and according to what you said he has another 56k right! Lol I think you need to get back under your rock
Old 02-10-14, 10:55 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by gsbs300
You just went back on yourself? First it was change the tb now before your engine gets trashed .now your (you’re) telling folks that A Lexus tech told you it's okay till (until) 150k? If the timing belt really last 150k then he shouldn't even have to change it again till 300k (horrible grammar, fragmented sentence) ?? Right?? I mean that's what your (you’re) saying.and far as the swap. (Can you at least type one coherent sentence correctly? It’s not polite to post this for others to decipher) i don't know about how it was back in your day since I'm such a kid but it's not polite to tell people what's financially possible for them now-a-days . (I.e (actually the correct term is e.g.) if you can't afford to change the TB now don't even think about a swap.)he never said he couldn't afford to change it now.he simply asked if it was okay to drive for a little bit.and according to what you said he has another 56k right ( another fragmented sentence. I give up)! Lol I think you need to get back under your rock
I clearly see why the US public education system is lacking. I'll address your statement piece by piece and then I'm done responding to you. I’ll briefly get out of my character.

You just went back on yourself? First it was change the tb now before your engine gets trashed .now your telling folks that A Lexus tech told you it's okay till 150k?

150k < 244k...do you understand this logic? You wonder why I stated that it need to be change ASAP, especially if it was the OEM TB? Yes a Lexus certified tech with over 25 years experience told me this and I believe him based on his knowledge and based on multiple threads HERE where people have pushed the belt past 150k. Would I do 150k, nope, but the belt can do it. Plus is it too far fetched to believe the stealership set this up for more profit? Nope it isn't. Also, have you heard of this belt snapping on anyone? Nope! The belt is more prone to stretching vs. breaking.

If the timing belt really last 150k then he shouldn't even have to change it again till 300k ??

Really, are you really saying this? Only you took my statement that I said the belt WAS ORIGINAL. I said that it could be a possibility that it is the original since there wasn't any history on the belt. If so, it needs to be changed ASAP. You don't need to have a high IQ to understand this Who in their right mind would say, ASSume, or think that the belt would not need to be changed until 300k miles!?!

I mean that's what your saying.and far as the swap.i don't know about how it was back in your day since I'm such a kid but it's not polite to tell people what's financially possible for them now-a-days .(I.e if you can't afford to change the TB now don't even think about a swap.)he never said he couldn't afford to change it now.he simply asked if it was okay to drive for a little bit.and according to what you said he has another 56k right!

Yeah you are a kid. I can tell by your response because you have no reason behind it, just stupidity being spewed from your mouth. Honestly I don't care what you think, the OP already stated he felt that I wasn't attacking him, I voiced that I wasn't attacking him; just letting him know that a swap isn't cheap at all (which is true), so YOUR opinion is void. Yeah based on my logic, I'm telling him to drive another 56k when I clearly stated that it needs to be changed ASAP because we don't know if that is the original TB, due to no history of it being changed.

I could say a few things to really hurt your feelings, but since you can't comprehend clear statements, I digress. I don't debate with pawns online. Have a good day.
Old 02-10-14, 03:45 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I clearly see why the US public education system is lacking. I'll address your statement piece by piece and then I'm done responding to you. I’ll briefly get out of my character.

You just went back on yourself? First it was change the tb now before your engine gets trashed .now your telling folks that A Lexus tech told you it's okay till 150k?

150k < 244k...do you understand this logic? You wonder why I stated that it need to be change ASAP, especially if it was the OEM TB? Yes a Lexus certified tech with over 25 years experience told me this and I believe him based on his knowledge and based on multiple threads HERE where people have pushed the belt past 150k. Would I do 150k, nope, but the belt can do it. Plus is it too far fetched to believe the stealership set this up for more profit? Nope it isn't. Also, have you heard of this belt snapping on anyone? Nope! The belt is more prone to stretching vs. breaking.

If the timing belt really last 150k then he shouldn't even have to change it again till 300k ??

Really, are you really saying this? Only you took my statement that I said the belt WAS ORIGINAL. I said that it could be a possibility that it is the original since there wasn't any history on the belt. If so, it needs to be changed ASAP. You don't need to have a high IQ to understand this Who in their right mind would say, ASSume, or think that the belt would not need to be changed until 300k miles!?!

I mean that's what your saying.and far as the swap.i don't know about how it was back in your day since I'm such a kid but it's not polite to tell people what's financially possible for them now-a-days .(I.e if you can't afford to change the TB now don't even think about a swap.)he never said he couldn't afford to change it now.he simply asked if it was okay to drive for a little bit.and according to what you said he has another 56k right!

Yeah you are a kid. I can tell by your response because you have no reason behind it, just stupidity being spewed from your mouth. Honestly I don't care what you think, the OP already stated he felt that I wasn't attacking him, I voiced that I wasn't attacking him; just letting him know that a swap isn't cheap at all (which is true), so YOUR opinion is void. Yeah based on my logic, I'm telling him to drive another 56k when I clearly stated that it needs to be changed ASAP because we don't know if that is the original TB, due to no history of it being changed.

I could say a few things to really hurt your feelings, but since you can't comprehend clear statements, I digress. I don't debate with pawns online. Have a good day.
^^^ And u tell me to calm down? -_- u guys need to hug this out
Old 02-10-14, 04:38 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey man btw, your gs4 was the reason I wanted to even get gs. I love your car and everything you've done with it. Perfection.
well dayum thats the coolest post on this thread. haha, thanks man. i appreciate it

everything else in this thread seems a lil too much drama for me.
not sure where it went wrong
Old 02-10-14, 04:43 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by gsean400
^^^ And u tell me to calm down? -_- u guys need to hug this out
lol. It's all fun with you man. Im ok im done with that subject...I explained my piece
Old 02-10-14, 07:38 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol. It's all fun with you man. Im ok im done with that subject...I explained my piece
Sweet! Im glad you at least had fun!
You and the op will have the exact same car! Lol

Quick Reply: Purchasing a high mileage gs300? HELP AZ