GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP PLS! When I apply brakes I hear grinding and clicking noise in center console

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 02:34 PM
Lexilux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLS! When I apply brakes I hear grinding and clicking noise in center console

Hi all...I really need some help please!

.A little history: I purchased a new to me 99 GS400 (165K) 2 weeks ago and took her to my mechanic to have her checked. They found both motor mounts broken so I had them replaced. When I got her back I noticed this sound like a pump priming when I applied the brakes. I had not heard this before. Took her back on Thursday and asked them about the noise but they said brake master was fine and they did not hear noise. I had them replace the tranny mount that day as well. Drove her home on Thursday and still heard the priming noise. Didn't drive her yesterday but today I was backing out of my drive and heard brakes grinding and a clicking noise in my center console when I hit the brakes? I'm obviously going to call the mechanic on Monday but any thoughts on WTH might be going on? It did not make ANY noises when I brought her in for the motor mounts and the brakes were fine. I am beside myself

Last edited by Lexilux; 02-01-14 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 03:14 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Bring it in to Lexus and have it diagnosed, they'll figure it out, just fix it yourself or at an independent shop rather than there once you know
Old 02-01-14, 03:25 PM
Lexilux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Bring it in to Lexus and have it diagnosed, they'll figure it out, just fix it yourself or at an independent shop rather than there once you know
Thanks but I am a woman and not mechanically inclined so fixing it myself is not an option. The local Lexus dealerships don't have a great reputation. As I said in my original post...Im obviously going to take her to a mechanic but I'd like the "opinions" from some of the members here.

Last edited by Lexilux; 02-01-14 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 05:17 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The whirring noises? I don't know of any other sounds. But the mechanical whirring noises are normal. They're very soft so I'm surprised you heard them
Old 02-01-14, 06:25 PM
Lexilux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marshun
The whirring noises? I don't know of any other sounds. But the mechanical whirring noises are normal. They're very soft so I'm surprised you heard them
Thank you...there is a whirring noise but it's loud....this motor made no noises when I brought her in....just a very smooth, soft...almost like a sewing machine, lol! Anyway, I think I may have answered my own question....I think they damaged one of the speed sensors on the transmission or a connection on the abs module when they did the motor mounts. I just noticed I have no speedo either and I had this problem before on my 98 Jimmy after having the tranny serviced. Thanks again
Old 02-01-14, 06:38 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Not sure about the grinding noise, but that click noise you're hearing is more than likely the shift lock disengaging. You should hear the same noise when you press on the brake to shift the car out of park.
Old 02-01-14, 07:05 PM
Lexilux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Not sure about the grinding noise, but that click noise you're hearing is more than likely the shift lock disengaging. You should hear the same noise when you press on the brake to shift the car out of park.
Hey thanks!

Its quite loud but I might also be a bit paranoid since my car has been a mess with noises and problems that weren't there before I took her to get her "fixed"!
I'm fairly certain at this point that the grinding/groaning is my ABS....

Last edited by Lexilux; 02-01-14 at 07:45 PM.