GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Timing Belt install goes wrong 2JZ damaged

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 10:15 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

**** happens man, black cloud visits everyone at some point in time. the key is to try and find a silver lining... maybe now you have an excuse to beef up the engine a bit now that you have it apart..

In any instance good luck this time around.
Old 02-03-14, 12:08 AM
thatoneazn
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Got the head installed and the engine is running. BUT I believe there is a valve clearance issue now. Can you hear it in the video?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skprod/12284122436/

Repairs came out pretty good looking for $125 which included the two new valves.
Now my we gotta get back into the valves and check out the clearance...o man this is endless...
I believe this should have been done first, again (I am not a tech)
I will update once its complete, so far at least the engine is running...!

BROKEN pics

Last edited by thatoneazn; 02-03-14 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 04:45 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

So I assume you took it to a machine shop and they re-welded the head, installed new valve seats, and then cut the new seats? That's dirty cheap for $125 lol.

The reason why a few of the guys suggest you possibly get the pistons inspected. That's a LOT of force to be smashing valves around like that in the cylinder. Make sure that your pistons do not have any micro cracks that can lead to failure in the future.

As for the clearances, yes you have to set the valve clearance. Not taking any shots at your friend or anything. But I assume he probably dumped out all the lifter buckets when he took the head to the machine shop. Then just popped all of them back in the head in random order. You must measure all the clearances with a feeler gauge and then swap or replace the shims as necessary. The machine shop also probably did not set those last 2 repaired valves to the same installed height. So if you're lucky, you will probably be able to find a shim that will bring your clearance into spec. If you're unlucky, then the head may need to come off again to have the valve height re-cut.

I'm a engine builder and machinist, so I deal with this stuff all the time.
Old 02-03-14, 07:00 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Standard head job on this head in my area is $450.+ that includes a valve adjustment but does not include extra repairs.

You should have taken advice and help from post #4. And replaced your head...
Your solution is going to be finding a competent person and pay them to do a valve job that the machine shop should have done.

I agree totally with Jeff's assesment, now finish this repair and hope the head does not need to come off.
Old 02-19-14, 06:02 PM
thatoneazn
Driver School Candidate

@JeffTsai
You are correct, Right now we are on the look out for a thicker shim....
Engine runs, but sounds terrible. The last two valves are making too much noise.
I am going to have my "buddy" buy a new head (which what should have been done first)
thanks
---------------
So if you're lucky, you will probably be able to find a shim that will bring your clearance into spec. If you're unlucky, then the head may need to come off again to have the valve height re-cut.
Old 02-20-14, 12:14 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, hope everything works out for you in the end. No offense to your tech, but since yall have all that, might also wanna see about woodruff keys. Sometimes when valves smash on a piston like that, when everything goes out of whack the moon side of the keys get a bit scuffed. Replacing them is easy, and they are like a dollar each. If they are damaged and you re install everything, you might have some bad ignition timing readings. Simply because the gears will wobble on the cam and/or crank. If he has already done that, forget what I said. But, Its happened to me, but on a NIssan. Timing belts are PITA's. Good luck!

Last edited by Aristo722; 02-20-14 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 09:41 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i would replace the whole motor, much cheaper, pm me if you need.
Old 02-20-14, 07:03 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Been waiting for that suggestion...
Old 02-21-14, 09:20 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

that butchered motor and mechanic can never make it run right.
Old 02-22-14, 06:22 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

This is the repaired head, done at a real machine shop?

I guess since the head and mating surface hasn't even been cleaned that it wasn't checked or pressure tested, and like mentioned the shims not accounted for. At least he is trying to help, but I would just pick up a used GE head or complete engine since they are practically free.

Real sorry to see you having to go through this.
Old 02-23-14, 09:19 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

That's why the repair was only $125 lol. Now that I look at it more closely, they didn't even re-weld to get the shape back to normal. They just ground the combustion chamber down to where the smash marks are gone lol. Then the cut some new valve seats and called it a day. That head isn't even milled, and I see dents and scratches all over the surface! Would never pass my QC lol.
Old 03-20-14, 09:21 AM
thatoneazn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
That's why the repair was only $125 lol. Now that I look at it more closely, they didn't even re-weld to get the shape back to normal. They just ground the combustion chamber down to where the smash marks are gone lol. Then the cut some new valve seats and called it a day. That head isn't even milled, and I see dents and scratches all over the surface! Would never pass my QC lol.
What do you recommend, right now the head is off checking for valve clearance. and after that its going back in for the last time. Should I just take it in to get hot tanked n cleaned up?
thanks
Old 03-20-14, 09:31 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

throw that motor away, and find a new mechanic, and a used motor to drop in.
Old 03-20-14, 11:13 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Hmph....I refer back to my ORIGINAL post back two months ago. I knew I was right. This story keeps getting worse.
Old 03-21-14, 09:54 AM
thatoneazn
Driver School Candidate

I looked up some used 2JZGE engines on craigslist, the cheapest was $500..with even that I would need to do the maintenance on it and install it. It would probably run me 1 grand +, something I can't invest in at the moment. Looks like I am no longer friends w/ the tech that ***** up my motor. I have someone else working on my car. So far doing the valve clearance, it looks like its getting close to specs. This will be the last time the head is going back in. Any other tips? Thanks. This should have never happened.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt install goes wrong 2JZ damaged