GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rolling vs. Shaving Fenders (Pros/Cons)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 03:02 PM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolling vs. Shaving Fenders (Pros/Cons)

Hello CL, so I've been researching wheel sizes and will be going very aggresive. My question is "Is shaving the fenders MORE recommended over rolling them? If so why? I roll fenders on the side and what to also know if shaving the fender affects pulling the fenders. Thanks in advanced guys.
Old 01-04-14, 03:53 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Roll the fronts, shave the rears is how most do it. The fronts will be more susceptible to being damaged by tire contact if shaved and benefit from the retained strength of rolling. Not as much of a concern with the rears and it seems to me you could get them "flatter" by shaving. Mine are shaved within a few mm's of flat without any problems. Someone else will need to address the pulling question.
Old 01-04-14, 10:08 PM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Roll the fronts, shave the rears is how most do it. The fronts will be more susceptible to being damaged by tire contact if shaved and benefit from the retained strength of rolling. Not as much of a concern with the rears and it seems to me you could get them "flatter" by shaving. Mine are shaved within a few mm's of flat without any problems. Someone else will need to address the pulling question.
Ahh, understood. I thought it was the fact of it being "flatter" but wasn't sure. I am sure I'll need a big pull which doesn't concern me but hope I get the pulling with shaved fenders a question addressed. Thanks though man.
Old 01-04-14, 10:17 PM
Neosakai
Rookie

I have a small question in addition to OP's

It seems that alotta people are repainting their whole car when they do really aggressive builds. I was just wondering does everyone end up with paint cracks after rolling and shaving where they would have to repaint their fenders or are there people who has rolled it without the need to spend extra for repainting it (and not rusting of course)
Old 01-04-14, 10:36 PM
CHASER4LIF
Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty

100 percent on that. i learned the hard way. i got all four shaved and the fronts rubbed against the tires and the driver side has a slight damage to it.. goin to get all 4 pulled this season and slam the car even more.
Old 01-04-14, 11:42 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neosakai

It seems that alotta people are repainting their whole car when they do really aggressive builds. I was just wondering does everyone end up with paint cracks after rolling and shaving where they would have to repaint their fenders or are there people who has rolled it without the need to spend extra for repainting it (and not rusting of course)
I ended up with cracks on my fronts after rolling them, no problems when doing the rears though. However, I'm going to need the rears redone to accommodate my next setup.

As for repainting the whole car, that shouldn't be necessary as long as the body shop you choose knows what they're doing. Mine was able to repaint the entire front end (front bumper/hood/fenders) and paint match it to the rest of the car, for example.
Old 01-05-14, 12:43 PM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

As NortStyle said repainting shouldn't be done unless it's MAJOR body work to fender or quarter panel. and as for repainting on a rolled fender that shouldn't be necessary if the person rolling them if doing it right. I have yet to crack paint from rolling fenders on a normal car.
Old 01-05-14, 12:56 PM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fronts will crack if you do not heat it, but it's nothing some touch up paint can't fix if you don't heat it. After the rear is shaved you have to cover the exposed metal or It will rust. Just tape it off, prime, paint and clear and you're good.
Old 01-05-14, 01:44 PM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusfam
Fronts will crack if you do not heat it, but it's nothing some touch up paint can't fix if you don't heat it. After the rear is shaved you have to cover the exposed metal or It will rust. Just tape it off, prime, paint and clear and you're good.
For Lexusfam, after shaving the exposed bare metal will be in the inside of the fender/quarter panel obviously correct? If so, no need to worry about it showing on the outside?
Old 01-05-14, 02:15 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 4doorscore
For Lexusfam, after shaving the exposed bare metal will be in the inside of the fender/quarter panel obviously correct? If so, no need to worry about it showing on the outside?
Correct...
Old 01-05-14, 02:31 PM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Oh and another thing, if there a risk of these quarter panels buckling with a very aggressive pull?
Old 01-05-14, 03:35 PM
Neosakai
Rookie

I see, thanks for all the informative answers.

The shop that attempted to do the rears for my rsx said my car's fenders had been worked on before I bought the car so the paint was gonna crack for sure so I was wondering what our GS's fenders are like assuming the paint was straight from factory.

I am relieved after hearing you guys say that a repaint shouldnt be needed for just a roll if done carefully.
Old 01-05-14, 08:21 PM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

I see, thanks for all the informative answers.

The shop that attempted to do the rears for my rsx said my car's fenders had been worked on before I bought the car so the paint was gonna crack for sure so I was wondering what our GS's fenders are like assuming the paint was straight from factory.

I am relieved after hearing you guys say that a repaint shouldnt be needed for just a roll if done carefully.
With appropriate heat and fender rolling no repaiting should be needed man Neosakai.
Old 01-06-14, 12:56 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the fenders heated up and no paint should come off,

Shave the rears, it'll give you more clearance and yes keep the fronts rolled or reinforce it if you shave it, I'm trying to figure out if I can still shave my rears a tad more after I rolled then already
Old 01-06-14, 08:42 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the reason folks shaved the rears instead of rolling them was to avoid dimpling.

Either way - I need to do this in the not-too-distant future.

Quick Reply: Rolling vs. Shaving Fenders (Pros/Cons)