GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Could use some advice on tire/wheel size and offset

Old 12-12-13, 09:27 AM
Loyalone72
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could use some advice on tire/wheel size and offset

Looking at these TSW Valencia's for my GS.

They come in a +40 and +20 offset. I want to fill the wheel well as much as possible but with no modifications. If necessary I could get my fenders rolled, but would like to avoid that if possible. What should I run for offset?

Also, Im lowered on Tanabe DF210's.

19 x 8.5 Front
19 x 9.5 Rear

Also, what would be the largest tires I could fit on these? (looking for a decent amount of sidewall for ride and protection against curbing)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Could use some advice on tire/wheel size and offset-tswvalenciaglossblack.jpg   Could use some advice on tire/wheel size and offset-tsw-valencia-gloss-black-mirror-cut-lip-front.jpg  
Old 12-12-13, 02:29 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, but please search through the Offset Q&A thread as this question has been asked and answered repeatedly. Not to mention, on the post before you asked this question on that thread, I provided 3 links (one of which Yakuza already posted) that are invaluable when it comes to fitment.

It's not that no one wants to help, but the questions have already been answered. All you have to do is look for them.
Old 12-12-13, 03:11 PM
Loyalone72
Driver

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, but please search through the Offset Q&A thread as this question has been asked and answered repeatedly. Not to mention, on the post before you asked this question on that thread, I provided 3 links (one of which Yakuza already posted) that are invaluable when it comes to fitment.

It's not that no one wants to help, but the questions have already been answered. All you have to do is look for them.
I understand. However I'm really green when it comes to this stuff so I'm really trying to make sure I dont order something I cant use.

Based on your comments, I can use any wheel/tire setup mentioned in the thread for an example as long as its the same offset and size? This is regardless of brand?

+20 or +40 offset 19' wheel.
Old 12-12-13, 04:12 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the +40 offset.

Run 245/35 on the front and 275/30 on the rear.

No fender rolling required.

Those Tanabe springs suck, btw. I had them for a couple years and just switched to BC coils with Swift springs and holy crap it's like a new car.
Old 12-12-13, 04:33 PM
Loyalone72
Driver

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Get the +40 offset.

No fender rolling required.

Those Tanabe springs suck, btw. I had them for a couple years and just switched to BC coils with Swift springs and holy crap it's like a new car.
Thank you for the help. really do appreciate it. Im reading a lot on this post and learning, but lots still to learn.

If I went with the +20 offset in the rear (there seems to be more gap in the rear than in the front) would that be just too much period, or would that bring the rear wheels more flush with the fenders? If it does I dont mind rolling the fenders. If its just too much period, Ill just go +40 all the way around.
Old 12-12-13, 04:54 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Why did you make a whole new thread for this when you already asked the same question in two other threads?
Old 12-12-13, 05:42 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Loyalone72
I understand. However I'm really green when it comes to this stuff so I'm really trying to make sure I dont order something I cant use.

Based on your comments, I can use any wheel/tire setup mentioned in the thread for an example as long as its the same offset and size? This is regardless of brand?

+20 or +40 offset 19' wheel.
Well, you're going to have to use a bit of educated guessing to determine what to buy based off of the setups that are mentioned...

For the ones you're looking at, I'd run the et20's front and rear. You may or may not need to do fender work, though. But honestly, I'd just go ahead and do it just to future-proof it in the event you want to run something more aggressive in the future.

Here you go:
http://rimtuck.com/setup/view/217

*this is a 9 et27/10 et24... so the fronts you are looking at will sit 3mm further inside the fender, and the rears will extend 2mm (that's if you want to run the et20 offsets). Hope that helps some.
Old 12-12-13, 08:25 PM
Loyalone72
Driver

It sure does. Thank you. Do you think I will need pulled fenders or will rolling be sufficient? Id like to have more rubber for sidewall.
Old 12-12-13, 08:53 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Rolling the front and shaving the rear will be fine.
Old 12-13-13, 12:58 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SupraSport
Hes asking the question again because obviously, and obviously apparently! lol someones not confident in there knowledge of wheel specs, and like anyone, I put my .02 cents he doesnt want to waste the money on wheels that might look like garbage.... not everyone can read others questions to get theres answered... relax guy, its what were here for, and why theres sections for it.
That's the problem... and I mean no disrespect to the OP, but the Offset Q&A thread was created to help people with questions about fitment. But it's gotten to the point where instead of reading through finding the answers that are already there, people just ask questions without even so much as searching through the thread. This leads to the current situation with the thread: None of the people who are really experienced with fitment answer questions anymore because it's just the same questions being asked over and over again when they've been answered MULTIPLE times. I try to help out when I can, but I only know so much compared to a lot of users here.

Hell, I couldn't even get an answer to a NEW question about somewhat extreme fitment because barely anyone reads it anymore. Thankfully, a few people check it every now and then so now I have a bit of direction. But, me asking was AFTER searching that thread, multiple other threads, and even googling it.

No one here minds helping people out, but constantly repeating yourself gets old.
Old 12-13-13, 07:22 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

If you want to maximize tire size (you've mentioned this several times so far) you need to stick with +40 front and rear.

If you go to +20 in the rear, you're going to have to cut the fenders (shouldn't roll the rears on our cars) and/or run much skinnier tires. +20 is nearly 1" further out than +40. That's a lot of tire you'll be sacrificing.

You also have to consider your ride height. Those Tanabe springs don't lower the car very much. With +20 offset in the rear you're going to have poke. It won't be a nice, flush look because you still have fender gap.

This is approximately what +8.5f +9.5r with +40 offset looks like on those exact springs. The only difference here is I had 18mm RCA's in the front. So this picture is actually about 2/3" lower in the front than you are. Also, my wheels are +35 in the front, +40 in the rear.

Old 12-13-13, 10:00 AM
Loyalone72
Driver

If you want to maximize tire size (you've mentioned this several times so far) you need to stick with +40 front and rear.

If you go to +20 in the rear, you're going to have to cut the fenders (shouldn't roll the rears on our cars) and/or run much skinnier tires. +20 is nearly 1" further out than +40. That's a lot of tire you'll be sacrificing.

You also have to consider your ride height. Those Tanabe springs don't lower the car very much. With +20 offset in the rear you're going to have poke. It won't be a nice, flush look because you still have fender gap.

This is approximately what +8.5f +9.5r with +40 offset looks like on those exact springs. The only difference here is I had 18mm RCA's in the front. So this picture is actually about 2/3" lower in the front than you are. Also, my wheels are +35 in the front, +40 in the rear.

Wow, thank you guys for standing up for a rookie. I sure do appreciate all the help. Believe me I have been reading and researching for weeks, but its really nice to get real life examples of what you guys have done and experienced. Its really valuable information. Especially wheels/tires as there are so many variables.

Btw, when you say poke, you mean the +20's would sit outside the fender a little correct? I dont want that.

Oh, and really nice ride my friend. Looks super sleek and clean. I like it. Love your wheel setup, looks just right.

Thank you!!!
Old 12-13-13, 11:27 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Btw, when you say poke, you mean the +20's would sit outside the fender a little correct? I dont want that.
Well, imagine the rear wheels - in the photo I posted - sticking out 1" more than they do. If you were lower they'd camber in and tuck (would require shaving the rear fenders). At the present ride height, though, I think that'd look like a bit too much poke.

Trust me. Go with the +40's and beefy tires. Judging by everything you're posting, it's exactly what you're looking for. I'm biased, but I think it also comes with a nice, aggressive, performance-first aesthetic that looks great on the road.
Old 12-13-13, 11:56 AM
Loyalone72
Driver

Well, imagine the rear wheels - in the photo I posted - sticking out 1" more than they do. If you were lower they'd camber in and tuck (would require shaving the rear fenders). At the present ride height, though, I think that'd look like a bit too much poke.

Trust me. Go with the +40's and beefy tires. Judging by everything you're posting, it's exactly what you're looking for. I'm biased, but I think it also comes with a nice, aggressive, performance-first aesthetic that looks great on the road.
I agree wholeheartedly with you on this. I definitely dont want to have to tuck with camber. Im not a fan of that look.

Thank you so much for the advice! It has helped a ton.

Btw, what tire sizes are you running?
Old 12-15-13, 09:06 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Btw, what tire sizes are you running?

ineed10chars