GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The dreaded top end clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 06:54 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The dreaded top end clicking noise

I know there are a few threads about this for the GS4. I've scanned through them and seen several remedies, some speculation and theories.

What I"m interested in finding out from members is this: when you replaced your timing belt did the noise go away and did your car idle and perform better?

I've got this clicking noise when the car warms up. It's there on a cold start but hardly noticable. But once I warm up it is more noticeable.

Does a worn timing belt stretch when it's warm? Could this trigger a more noisier top end?
Old 10-07-13, 08:46 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
I know there are a few threads about this for the GS4. I've scanned through them and seen several remedies, some speculation and theories.

What I"m interested in finding out from members is this: when you replaced your timing belt did the noise go away and did your car idle and perform better?

I've got this clicking noise when the car warms up. It's there on a cold start but hardly noticable. But once I warm up it is more noticeable.

Does a worn timing belt stretch when it's warm? Could this trigger a more noisier top end?
I changed my belt and I still get it from time to time, your talking about the cam shaft/lifter tap right?
Old 10-07-13, 10:24 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yes that's it. A rattlesnake shaking its rattle. Then when warmed up and if you listen for it, a louder click like one of the valves is bad. I don't want to invest in a valve lash adjustment because that's big bucks and not worth it on my car.

I'm trying to find out if a worn timing belt might cause the same symptoms. I will do that just as a matter of required maintenance. It doesn't bother the car at all, you can't hear it off-idle.
Old 10-08-13, 11:59 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by eskaeone
I changed my belt and I still get it from time to time, your talking about the cam shaft/lifter tap right?

I experience the same lifter tap noise and it's sounds like it comes from the drivers side cam area where the cover is located. I wasn't aware that this was a issue or a common problem. maybe Jeff or Someone with more knowledge and chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 10-08-13, 12:16 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can't be the timing belt. The timing belt has a tensioner on it just like your serpentine belt. Any stretching of the belt would be remedied by this and the belt would be held at a constant tightness, theoretically no matter how much it stretched. I think what you are describing sounds like you might have a hydraulic lifter that isn't holding oil pressure as well as it should. To me that would be why it gets louder when the engine is warm, because the oil is thinning out a little as the temperature increases which results in more play on that valve.
Old 10-08-13, 09:14 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Thanks for reminding me... I forgot about that. The timing belt can't be it so you are definitely right Kaizen.

Hmmm... well I'm at 105K for mileage and I know the previous owner didn't do the timing belt/water pump. He says he had it up to 120 mph in Montana.

It actually runs great. I just dumped $1K because I do know the right side catalytic was plugged and I plan to keep it for a year, so did both sides.

I guess I can live with it. Not the end of the world is it? These 4.3 engines are great. Gotta get a quote on the TB/WP before I dare push it in the upper end of the tach.
Old 10-09-13, 12:09 AM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I experience the same lifter tap noise and it's sounds like it comes from the drivers side cam area where the cover is located. I wasn't aware that this was a issue or a common problem. maybe Jeff or Someone with more knowledge and chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
It's def not the belt. I changed mine and I still had it afterwards. it's a lifter getting stuck not a serious problem I've had the car fro some time now and it's never been a major issue, It goes away when I add LUCAS to the oil.

P.S. JeffTsai's cars are 300's (2JZ's) I never seen a post from him working on a 1UZ. Don't know of the 2jz community has experienced this issue.
Old 10-09-13, 03:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by eskaeone
It's def not the belt. I changed mine and I still had it afterwards. it's a lifter getting stuck not a serious problem I've had the car fro some time now and it's never been a major issue, It goes away when I add LUCAS to the oil.

P.S. JeffTsai's cars are 300's (2JZ's) I never seen a post from him working on a 1UZ. Don't know of the 2jz community has experienced this issue.
the sounds reminds me of my old mustang from years ago with a lifter issue.... Didn't hurt performance but you could hear it.... This noise isn't as loud but it probably the same thing... i have 73k miles on my 400...
Old 10-09-13, 04:06 AM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by tmf2004
the sounds reminds me of my old mustang from years ago with a lifter issue.... Didn't hurt performance but you could hear it.... This noise isn't as loud but it probably the same thing... i have 73k miles on my 400...
Mine has 137k and if anything it was annoying..lol
Old 10-09-13, 03:42 PM
bigjussin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's the shims under the lifter buckets....its a major job, since you basically have to yank the timing belt to get the exhaust cams out...mine had two out of spec on the driver's side...but fixed now... If I have a couple leftover shims i'll donate to someone, for shipping costs
Old 10-09-13, 11:40 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by bigjussin
it's the shims under the lifter buckets....its a major job, since you basically have to yank the timing belt to get the exhaust cams out...mine had two out of spec on the driver's side...but fixed now... If I have a couple leftover shims i'll donate to someone, for shipping costs
OEM part? meaning I can purchase from Sewell?
Old 10-10-13, 05:06 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

There's probably some $$ savings to be had if you do the valve lash adjustment and tb/wp at the same time. Anybody have both done at the same time? How much did it run?