GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How Long Do GS 430’s Last?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 03:53 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My 98 GS4 is at 200k and runs like a clock. Not a hickup since I got it 2 years ago with 138k on it.

All I have done is Amsoil 0W20 and big oil filter (the ones Toyota and Ford used to use 20 years ago), and ball joints. I have only upgraded rear sway bar. When I get some time I will upgrade the front bar too. Added chrome 17 7 spoke Lexus wheels and called it done....
Old 09-29-13, 04:33 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Let me put you on right now and save you headache. It's what you want MORE. ONLY the 430 comes with steering wheel audio controls and the wood steering wheel and a lot of extra wood as well as a few other minor options like green tinted headlights which don't mean **** to me but the steering wheel audio controls is what sold me onto the 430! Now before I got the 430 I had no idea it was a much less fun of a car to drive since Lexus switched to electronic throttle control so basically to make a long story short whenever you press the gas especially while coasting and not pressing it at all there is always a slight delay compared to the 400. If you drive both you will see what I mean and you can search here many people complain about this! And to be honest when I drive other cars I DO NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE in throttle response. The only time it's not so bad is when you already have your foot on the pedal and are driving fast but like stop and go traffic is annoying with the lag. So basically at the end of the day it's what you need more. Steering wheel audio controls and extra wood for the luxury feel or the better driving and steering wheel controls for the gear shifting. The 400 is much more of a drivers car and the 430 is more refined like a luxury cruiser. I can't live without audio steering controls so that sold me on it but driving a 400 is so much more fun then the 430.
Old 09-29-13, 04:41 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Originally Posted by Sampak
I'm not a Lexus techy but I've noticed that too, even on some Toyota Camrys from the 90's and what not. I thought I read it's a 'gold package' thing so basically has some extra hoopla in there.

As for audio controls, I think you'll find it kind of funny and frustrating that even a GS430 ('01-05) had this as an option, for the price they charged LOL -- but here's the fun part, the cassette player was standard even on the GS 430 redesign in '06. No idea whatsoever why Lexus thought that was something a top of the line luxury car should have (well, I guess you can't have enough in a luxury car). But audio controls, hell even heated seats are missing (not standard) on my '98 GS 400. A 430 probably is no different in that regard. And yes it's just the standard audio controls like on most modern cars (radio, tune/seek, volume).

Also, as for NAV system, I don't have any information other than it was some built in DVD or such setup, so basically it's probably outdated and you'll do better to mount your phone or GPS up on the dash whatever. What you want is that premium sound system (Mark Levinson, or Nakamichi?) because I have the bare bones standard audio and the bass is lacking (plus my radio's LCD screen is screwy with no backlight and characters are screwed up on the bottom right where I need to see the bass/mid/treble adjustments).

Anyway, I paid $4600 for mine with that many miles and 15 years old... for a GS430, 01+ you should look for $6-$10 for one in good shape and ~100k miles, otherwise you'll end up with a beater. UNLESS You find a steal of a deal, then go for it! FYI The 3 GS400's I looked at, 16-245k all were asking $5-5300 originally so that gives you an idea on what to expect for a clean low mile 430.
I actually don't think I ever seen a 430 without heated seats and also the stock system in the 430 was definitely upgraded becauSe it has good bass without all that mark levinson crap. And actually the GPS in the 430 is not too bad it's almost always as accurate as the iphone maps or garmin it's only a little slow in certain places. But it's definitely nice to have one built in so you can press 2 buttons and your goingg home. The convenience is great and it's annoying and looks cheesy to have a garmin in my opinion especially having the stock one there whenever you need it ready is much better then always mounting a stupid GPS. So you should definitely try to find one with stock GPS. Most 430s have them anyway
Old 09-29-13, 07:11 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I actually don't think I ever seen a 430 without heated seats and also the stock system in the 430 was definitely upgraded becauSe it has good bass without all that mark levinson crap. And actually the GPS in the 430 is not too bad it's almost always as accurate as the iphone maps or garmin it's only a little slow in certain places. But it's definitely nice to have one built in so you can press 2 buttons and your goingg home. The convenience is great and it's annoying and looks cheesy to have a garmin in my opinion especially having the stock one there whenever you need it ready is much better then always mounting a stupid GPS. So you should definitely try to find one with stock GPS. Most 430s have them anyway
Ok well there you go haha. I was mostly guessing about the 430 based on what I read so far (not much) and my GS400. That's nice that you get standard heated seats and other stuff.

Interesting take on the drive by wire. I have driven an '06 Sentra with the slow old 1.8L for years, and also my '09 Altima V6 for 4 years before I sold it, and I must have gotten used to any delay they had, because I can't say it was ever as bad as you describe the GS430 nor do I notice any kind of difference driving the '98 GS 400 now. I guess the GS430 must be a rare case where the delay is too noticeable (or I'm just not paying enough attention to any of my cars).

And yes if your built in GPS works, then of course it does seem a little cheesy to have a separate phone or GPS strapped on the car dash. Except in my case, I almost hate the typical GPS directions because it's always delayed to the point of becoming a joke so I actually prefer using googlemaps on my phones and just looking at the map with my position on them so I know where I'm going and not feel like a horse with blinds on (turn .. slight.. left .. in .....200 feet. NOWNOWOWWOW!)
Old 09-29-13, 07:37 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 2002 GS430 about two months ago and for what you're getting, it's an amazing car! I won't call it a BMW beater in the corners where Bimmers shine. I find it gets wiggly if you push it too hard.

Don't expect laser sharp steering feel. These cars aren't known for that. But all that said, it is an astonishingly quick car and defeats a lot of newer cars on straight-line speed and poise alone.

You'll spend some money on it no matter what because it is a ten year old car now.

Mine has the electronic throttle which can be disconcerting but it's not too bad depending on what you want from the car. I defeat it by using the manual shifting mode on the shift gate.

What you get is an amazingly smooth quick cruiser that won't turn into a money pit like the German competition. Just remember though, if you are looking for the "wow" factor this won't necessarily do that for you, unless you mod it.
Old 09-29-13, 11:03 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well said.

I was looking at the GS400 and GS430 and I wanted the cable throttle and I the better high rpm power that the GS400 has. But down low rpm the GS400 will annoy you some if you end up in the wrong gear, it will be a slug till the rpms climb. But there is 5 real gears (not a 4 speed auto engaging OD in 2nd or 3rd), and it is usually a blip of the throttle away to grab the right gear. Sometimes is is annoying following a poke at 50 mph in a 65 and nail the gas and it drops from 5th to 2nd and lurches. But passing has always been effortless in my GS400.

I don't care for (and honestly don't want) steering wheel controls. Heck, I don't even really care for the steering wheel shift. I like the floor shifter myself. I am sad that I can't truly manually shift 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, instead I am stuck with a poor 1-2 shift, then decent 2-3 and then I get stuck with 3-5 unless I am quick at the e-shift and get it into 4th right away. At least the GS430's fixed some of the shifter. I would like a shifter like my 80 Turbo T/A has ("His/Hers" or a set of Hurst Lighting Rods).

I only drove 1 GS430 and it was worn out, had the factory sub and amp out, the headlight levelers were broke, the car was a piece. Really, the high end dealership should be embarassed that they even showed it to me. That thing should have been on auction the day they took it on trade. Bet they got only $1-2k for it. If I would have driven it first, I might not have ever bought a GS. The first one I drove was a private party that had it for a few years, I was able to get a lot of good history on the car (from new) from a Lexus dealer, and a good clean history, and felt this was a very solid and reliable car to get. It has not let me down.

Let me put you on right now and save you headache. It's what you want MORE. ONLY the 430 comes with steering wheel audio controls and the wood steering wheel and a lot of extra wood as well as a few other minor options like green tinted headlights which don't mean **** to me but the steering wheel audio controls is what sold me onto the 430! Now before I got the 430 I had no idea it was a much less fun of a car to drive since Lexus switched to electronic throttle control so basically to make a long story short whenever you press the gas especially while coasting and not pressing it at all there is always a slight delay compared to the 400. If you drive both you will see what I mean and you can search here many people complain about this! And to be honest when I drive other cars I DO NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE in throttle response. The only time it's not so bad is when you already have your foot on the pedal and are driving fast but like stop and go traffic is annoying with the lag. So basically at the end of the day it's what you need more. Steering wheel audio controls and extra wood for the luxury feel or the better driving and steering wheel controls for the gear shifting. The 400 is much more of a drivers car and the 430 is more refined like a luxury cruiser. I can't live without audio steering controls so that sold me on it but driving a 400 is so much more fun then the 430.

Last edited by RamAirRckt; 09-29-13 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 06:12 PM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2003 GS430 with 125k on the clock and I bought it with around 30k on the block. In the eight years I have owned the car I have never seen a CEL or had any major issue. I've just done regular maintenance and drove. No cracks in the leather or anything like that at all.

Only issue I have had is that the light for the auto level head lights has popped up on the dash. Other than that the car has been bullet proof.
Old 09-30-13, 08:45 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm at 324k and have zero problems....

CEO
Old 09-30-13, 09:23 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default ?

And what does this light look like so I know what to look for?

Originally Posted by AnimalB
I have a 2003 GS430 with 125k on the clock and I bought it with around 30k on the block. In the eight years I have owned the car I have never seen a CEL or had any major issue. I've just done regular maintenance and drove. No cracks in the leather or anything like that at all.

Only issue I have had is that the light for the auto level head lights has popped up on the dash. Other than that the car has been bullet proof.
Old 09-30-13, 09:25 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Please post an odometer pic that is classic! GREAT TO HEAR THAT! You have a 430 or 400?

Originally Posted by THE_CEO
I'm at 324k and have zero problems....

CEO
Old 10-01-13, 12:56 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Please post an odometer pic that is classic! GREAT TO HEAR THAT! You have a 430 or 400?
I will post it when I get sometime. It's a 98' GS4 black/black...

CEO
Old 10-20-13, 12:48 PM
713gs430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my '05 GS430 a little over 2 yrs ago @ 72k miles (had an 01 gs430 but a teen wrecked into me texting and driving: car was totaled so I bought this 05 one!). I just reached 120k miles and do not plan on moving it anytime soon. I love the punch of the 430 when I gun it. Recently slapped on some BC extreme drop coilovers and lovin' it even more!
With the abundance of toyota and lexus parts available, costs for repairs/replacements won't be anywhere near what it would be for a german luxury car. I had a full tune up done at 90k (belts, water pump, etc). Rides smooth "like a lexus." You won't be disappointed
Old 10-20-13, 10:43 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

What differences and pros and cons would you say the 05 has over the 01 since it's essentially the same car? I can imagine they worked out all the annoying problems like moonroof rattle and ball joints maybe

Originally Posted by 713gs430
I purchased my '05 GS430 a little over 2 yrs ago @ 72k miles (had an 01 gs430 but a teen wrecked into me texting and driving: car was totaled so I bought this 05 one!). I just reached 120k miles and do not plan on moving it anytime soon. I love the punch of the 430 when I gun it. Recently slapped on some BC extreme drop coilovers and lovin' it even more!
With the abundance of toyota and lexus parts available, costs for repairs/replacements won't be anywhere near what it would be for a german luxury car. I had a full tune up done at 90k (belts, water pump, etc). Rides smooth "like a lexus." You won't be disappointed
Old 10-20-13, 11:17 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbrown23
I'm not planning any modding at all. I know, I'm boring! Is it very expensive to get the ball-joints, caster arms, timing-belt, water-pump, spark-plugs and brakes done? Exactly my thinking on the last part too, I'm 18 and this would be my first car so I don't have a ton of money but would much rather have an older GS than a new accord!
if you have rather tight budget, I would suggest buying a non-luxury cars. Remember, YOU'VE GOTTA PAY TO PLAY! Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic will be the best for 18 yo pocket imo. Regardless the resale value of GS430 has depreciated quite abit, but maintenance will still be as much as $60,000 car. I spent around $7,000 on maintenance throughout 3.5 years span on my GS400. I did all the maintenance at lexus dealership tho. If you are a handyman, it will cut the cost down quite a bit.

Just an honest thought.....
Old 10-21-13, 10:42 AM
GS4VIPbOSS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

testament to the car I am in the market for a newer GS but mine is so clean I dont want to sell...relaible as heck

Quick Reply: How Long Do GS 430’s Last?