GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hacking (retrofitting) steering wheel audio controls for aftermarket headunit

Old 03-16-15, 04:36 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
it is a plug and play interface. it uses the pre existing wiring that is located with the oe wiring harness at the back of the head unit.

no pics, forgot to take pictures, but the install literally is 10mins maximum.

the picture off their website.

instructions
http://contentdocs.installernet.com/...duct/37868.pdf
Wow, i cant believe it's so easy. Thanks! I'll be installing this soon and hopefully I'll remember to snap some pics.
Old 03-17-15, 07:59 PM
ctjameson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
Wow, i cant believe it's so easy. Thanks! I'll be installing this soon and hopefully I'll remember to snap some pics.
Don't get your hopes up. I ordered all the stuff for my 2001, but the wire in my clock spring doesn't go to behind the radio. it goes somewhere else and haven't had time to track down the signal. I wish mine would have been as plug and play as everyone else's. :/

EDIT: Scratch that. You're golden. GS430 has the right harness already in place. I've got a GS300.
Old 03-19-15, 04:03 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow this seemed so difficult and now it seems so easy. Hmmm
Old 03-19-15, 04:30 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ahhh, i see what i missed.

this is for vehicles that already have the existing steering wheel controls. they are located on the bottom left of the steering wheel.

for those that donrt have the controls, i do not know if lexus has pre wired from the steering wheel to the headunit.
Old 07-09-15, 09:38 AM
ctjameson
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to necro this thread, but SorrGwa would you possible take 10 minutes out of your day and be a super awesome person and snap a picture of how the harness goes into your SWC module. I've got all the parts, but I can't figure out which wires are supposed to go where on the module itself. That's all I'm missing on this install. Tired of looking at dead useless SWC.
Old 07-09-15, 09:45 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Well, I have to have my unit replaced. For some reason it wouldnt recognize my car. The green led just keeps flashing. I'll let you guys know if I ever do get it working. Lol
Old 07-09-15, 09:48 AM
ctjameson
Driver School Candidate

The reason I asked SorrGwa to post some pics of his is because the 6-pin connector was used for like 5 different types of modules and the wires need to be set on the right pins for it to work. I directly connected my module to the adapter and it was a no-go. I'm pretty sure I have the wires on the wrong pins.
Old 07-09-15, 09:48 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ctjameson
Sorry to necro this thread, but SorrGwa would you possible take 10 minutes out of your day and be a super awesome person and snap a picture of how the harness goes into your SWC module. I've got all the parts, but I can't figure out which wires are supposed to go where on the module itself. That's all I'm missing on this install. Tired of looking at dead useless SWC.
The red wire connects to the positive accessory power, the black to ground, 3.5mm jack to your head unit, and then the male connector into the female connector on your factory wiring harness that connected to the factory head unit for the steering wheel controls.
Old 07-09-15, 09:50 AM
ctjameson
Driver School Candidate

The red wire connects to the positive accessory power, the black to ground, 3.5mm jack to your head unit, and then the male connector into the female connector on your factory wiring harness that connected to the factory head unit for the steering wheel controls.
Not looking for that wiring. I'm looking for what placement the wires are directly into the module ON the steering wheel. I know how the adapter needs to be hooked up. I just have the wires wrong on the harness into the actually buttons module.
Old 07-09-15, 09:55 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ctjameson
Not looking for that wiring. I'm looking for what placement the wires are directly into the module ON the steering wheel. I know how the adapter needs to be hooked up. I just have the wires wrong on the harness into the actually buttons module.
Oh you don't have a GS 430 huh? Well if your car didn't come with factory steering wheel controls I can't help you there.

Sorrgwa has a 430, so he wouldn't be able to help you either, sorry dude.
Old 07-09-15, 10:02 AM
ctjameson
Driver School Candidate

Oh you don't have a GS 430 huh? Well if your car didn't come with factory steering wheel controls I can't help you there.

Model is irrelevant on this scenario. I'm making my own wiring for it. I just need the pinout for the module to make my own harness and I don't know the correct placement of the wires going into the module. That's all I need. One picture of the plug going into the steering wheel box with wires visible is what will allow me to make what I need. That's the missing puzzle pieces for my install.
Old 07-09-15, 10:04 AM
ctjameson
Driver School Candidate

300s never had the option for SWC, so you have to make your own wiring. That's not a problem, but I gotta know the pins that the control box outputs on.
Old 11-11-15, 04:55 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Great PDFs. Thanks for your contribution.
Old 01-06-16, 02:13 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is an old post but I hope someone is monitoring! I have a 2001 LS430; I am replacing the audio head unit and I would like to get my steering wheel controls to work. Unfortunately there are no adapters/interfaces that work with my model so I would like to hack my controls as was done in this post. My question is - does it matter which resistors connect to the buttons? I assume that the resistors are there to help create differing signals for the buttons and you use the SWC interface to sort out the buttons. Is my logic correct? Thanks!
Old 01-07-16, 06:23 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oldsports
I know this is an old post but I hope someone is monitoring! I have a 2001 LS430; I am replacing the audio head unit and I would like to get my steering wheel controls to work. Unfortunately there are no adapters/interfaces that work with my model so I would like to hack my controls as was done in this post. My question is - does it matter which resistors connect to the buttons? I assume that the resistors are there to help create differing signals for the buttons and you use the SWC interface to sort out the buttons. Is my logic correct? Thanks!
Yes, any resistor value can connect to any buttons, don't matter. Each button represents a different resistance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hacking (retrofitting) steering wheel audio controls for aftermarket headunit