GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best gas mileage!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 10:19 PM
Nycgs300
Banned Scammer Created Multiple Accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best gas mileage!!!!

How can I get the most gas mileage out of my gs300? I do alot of city miles everyday...
Old 09-10-13, 07:03 AM
GSTim
Rookie

Don't drive it? Lol. Just don't stommp on the gas pedal from light to light.
Old 09-10-13, 07:34 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

wheels and tires make a big difference. low rolling resistance tires and light weight wheels will net the biggest gains in mpg's. but of course that also depends on driving style. try keeping it below 2500rpms when advancing from a stop. and use premium fuel.
Old 09-10-13, 07:51 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

premium as in octane rating? octane rating has to do with detonation, not necessarily with gas mileage. if you mean premium as in top tier gas stations (chevron, 76, shell, etc.)

but yeah, dont get on it. as well as try to use cruise control as much as possible. it's a little from a manual to an automatic but in my (maual) cars, i try to put it in neutral when im decelerating, coming to a stop, rolling down a hill, etc. not sure how you drive but a lot of people dont pay attention to the light ahead of them, or the light after that. theres no point in speeding/racing to a redlight, itll just use more gas as well as wear your brakes out faster.

also, keep up on your maintenance. keeping up with your oil = more/better lubrication =less resistance, heat, etc. same thing with your air & fuel filter.
Old 09-10-13, 01:37 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't drive the car, nah I'm kidding but I'm serious too. I drive in Long Island. Better mileage out there since I usually on the Southern, Northern State parkway. If you always drive in the Boros, sucky yucky mileage. If you have no choice cruise on the Westside higway and roll or lightly accelerate your car.
Old 09-10-13, 02:05 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Octane does make a diff. The ECU will see more knock on the knock sensor and pull out timing, and efficiency will drop. In most cases running premium does improve fuel economy (if designed to run on it). And in hot temps more so than cool. If cool you can in most cases run one grade down with little or no loss in power. My 98 GS4 does notice it 89 octane vs 93. I haven't run it enough to measure fuel economy and draw a valid conclusion on it.

Safest to run, ping/knock is deadly to pistons and hell on rings. Avoid low octane is very safe. But some people will run 87 no matter what, they don't know or don't care, so the factory engineers must design it to be safe on 87.

Long answer:
I know GM tuning and GM has dual octane timing tables, the PCM runs off the high octane, aka high limit, as much as possible, and if the PCM sees knock, it pulls out timing, can pull down to as low as the low octane table allows (makes a 3D table).

One key to remember, it takes MORE timing being pulled out to STOP a ping once it starts than does to not have it in the first place. So if you are knock free at 30 degrees at some load/rpm, and then at 31 it knocks, it might need to go to 25 to get it to stop, then it takes the delay time the engineers set it before it comes back to where it should be. But if it hits 31 again and knocks, it starts all over.

Simple answer, run high octane.
Old 09-11-13, 08:01 PM
Nycgs300

Originally Posted by 90mx83
wheels and tires make a big difference. low rolling resistance tires and light weight wheels will net the biggest gains in mpg's. but of course that also depends on driving style. try keeping it below 2500rpms when advancing from a stop. and use premium fuel.
I'm currently on g37 19"...yea I don't speed from light to light,I go between regular and premium but I'll try to stick to premium from now.
Old 09-11-13, 08:05 PM
Nycgs300

What is the best plugs for a gs300?

Last edited by Nycgs300; 09-12-13 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 11:49 PM
NoUltimatu
Rookie

Alright. I've been lurking here for ages while saving up for a GS and in the mean time have been hypermilling the crap out of my car so I can save as much as I can for when that day comes. Here's things you can do. Skip all the hybrid suggestions, and look at the other ones. Just reading those got my mileage from ~36 to ~42. Good luck
LINK
Old 09-12-13, 04:18 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Nycgs300
How much difference will new spark plugs make? And what is the best plugs for a gs300?
Why don't you search?! Help yourself instead of waiting to be spoon fed....
Old 09-12-13, 08:20 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much difference will new spark plugs make?
I'm going to assume that you are not very mechanically inclined? spark plugs typically always make a difference in mpg's, but you can't just stop there......
Old 09-12-13, 10:34 AM
Nycgs300

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Why don't you search?! Help yourself instead of waiting to be spoon fed....
I already know my answer before I posted my question,I just want to see what ppl here have to say but not you,you must be very dumb for reading my question and giving an answer that does not pertain to it. You must read carefully and stop waiting to be corrected.
Old 09-12-13, 10:40 AM
Nycgs300

Originally Posted by repugnante

I'm going to assume that you are not very mechanically inclined? spark plugs typically always make a difference in mpg's, but you can't just stop there......
I know and do alot of work on cars/trucks. I'm looking for a technical answer from experienced LEXUS techs.
Old 09-12-13, 10:45 AM
Nycgs300

Originally Posted by NoUltimatu
Alright. I've been lurking here for ages while saving up for a GS and in the mean time have been hypermilling the crap out of my car so I can save as much as I can for when that day comes. Here's things you can do. Skip all the hybrid suggestions, and look at the other ones. Just reading those got my mileage from ~36 to ~42. Good luck
LINK
Thanks for the link.
Old 09-12-13, 11:23 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Thanks for the link.
An obvious way to get better MPG would be to run lighter or smaller sized wheels - 17" wouldn't hurt the looks too much and the reduced rotating mass would help whenever you accelerate (and also easy on your brakes due to less mass). I'm not sure how much the 19" G37 wheels weigh, but given how bloated the G37 is, I'm betting its wheels are also little fat bastards.

Another tip I can offer is to see how far your car will coast when you let off the gas, and try to use any exit ramps/downhill area to the best of your ability and avoid the gas pedal. Since you mentioned city driving, exit ramps are probably not common but driving light to light is killer so look ahead to the next light and try to time them so if you need to get up and go to make 2 green lights in a row, it might be worth it rather than lugging over there from the line. No, I'm *not* telling you to speed.

Edit: "No, I'm NOT telling you to speed." Wrote that all wrong dammit haha.

Last edited by Sampak; 09-13-13 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Best gas mileage!!!!