GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 GS430 hard start, exhausted all possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-13, 06:46 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2001 GS430 hard start, exhausted all possibilities

im having a hard start issue.
before anyone goes about directing me to do a seach, i have, and have gone through replacing the.

1) fuel filter (done less than a year ago)
2) fuel pump, (done roughly a month ag)
3) fuel pressure regulator (done last week)
4) throttle position sensor (done today)

symptoms
- long crank, starts every time after the long crank.
- starter sounds healthy
- accelerator pedal sensor registers proper voltage to ecu
- if i prime the system 3+ times, it starts up
- there is a hiss from the gas cap after letting car sit for 15mins, however, still have a hard start, long crank. (basically meaning there is pressure in the tank)
- there seems to be pressure from the fuel line to fuel rail. though i havent hooked up a fuel pressure gauge yet (didnt have the banjo fitting accessory) there is some residual pressure

any ideas?
i thought maybe an injector o ring, but there is no stumble nor leak at the fuel injectors/rails.

there is also no drivability issues

Last edited by SorrGwa; 09-01-13 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-02-13, 01:25 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Have you checked your timing?
Old 03-21-15, 09:48 AM
chungmeow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any luck with this? I have a family friend that used to work on these vehicles and had mentioned the coolant sensor being the issue here. I'm having the same problems at the moment with my 99 gs400 and I was going to start off with replacing fuel pump/filter assembly
Old 03-21-15, 10:17 AM
Fromthesha
Rookie

How many cranks?
Old 03-21-15, 11:26 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your fuel pressure using a proper gauge. Not just loosening the hose and saying it seems ok which is what a lot of people do. Fuel pressure regulation is a big deal on fuel injected cars. The priming info you mentioned is a clue. Who's troubleshooting this? You or a mechanic versed in modern cars? No offense meant but it sometimes takes equipment and experience to figure things out. Shot gunning by just changing parts is certainly not saving you any money.
Old 03-21-15, 12:49 PM
Fromthesha
Rookie

Originally Posted by rudyH
Check your fuel pressure using a proper gauge. Not just loosening the hose and saying it seems ok which is what a lot of people do. Fuel pressure regulation is a big deal on fuel injected cars. The priming info you mentioned is a clue. Who's troubleshooting this? You or a mechanic versed in modern cars? No offense meant but it sometimes takes equipment and experience to figure things out. Shot gunning by just changing parts is certainly not saving you any money.
I agree, although I shotgun all the time. Parts wear out anyway and it's usually the most likely culprit. Even good techs will replace the most likely stuff first before moving on. Could just be the battery
Old 03-21-15, 07:44 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fromthesha
I agree, although I shotgun all the time. Parts wear out anyway and it's usually the most likely culprit. Even good techs will replace the most likely stuff first before moving on. Could just be the battery
I agree. For certain problems shotgunning is satisfying, but unless you know a part is due for replacement or you were just going to do it anyway, better off first finding the problem. Especially if it has to do with the vehicle not starting or running badly. One day, it may not start at all.
The following users liked this post:
Axeman (08-02-23)
Old 03-21-15, 08:05 PM
GSTim
Rookie

I'd say spray some carb/starting fluid into the intake then try and start. If it starts right away. Fuel problem. Toyota pump?

maybe cam or crank sensor? Check those sensors.
Old 03-21-15, 08:40 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSTim
I'd say spray some carb/starting fluid into the intake then try and start. If it starts right away. Fuel problem. Toyota pump?

maybe cam or crank sensor? Check those sensors.
I agree with thte starter fluid, but he says priming the system, not sure what that means in his case, and it fires right up. That's why I was thinking fuel pressure. Nothing wrong with the starting fluid as long as you READ THE CAUTIONS! You can bend a rod and that's not internet baloney!