GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What is going on with my GS 400

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 04:52 AM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is going on with my GS 400

Wednesday I get out of work and try to start my car and nothing. Just a humming noise no click. After a couple attempts at turning it, I finaly got it to start cranking but no catch. This time when I removed the key it continued to crank.The engie was still trying to turn over and the power steering wheel was moving by itself. After it stopped I finally got it cranked over and the CEL, VSC and VSC OFF came on. Now I read somw threads to find out, but the funny part is that when I took it to my mehanic he said the starrter and both cats were bad. Not only am I not replacing those things but I am not paying his quoted price of over 3200. So I go back to his shop to pick up my car and it starts fine with no codes on at all. What is going on???? ??, confused
Old 06-15-13, 09:09 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

The contacts in your starter solenoid are worn...

Your coarse of action should be directed towards rebuilding or replacing your starter.
Since your starter solenoid is getting stuck in the on position, you run the risk of a fire, if you do not notice and remove the negative ground lead from the battery as soon as it happens.

You can DIY for under $30. Plus you labor.
Good luck.
Old 06-15-13, 09:45 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

I remember when I had a bad battery my gs did some crazy stuff like that too, replaced that old lexus battery and became normal again.

gl
Old 06-15-13, 11:35 AM
mmartin061
banned

Thumbs down

Thanks for the input I wil relay that to my guy that is going to do some work on it. I am not mechanically savy at all. Could that also be the reason that the dash lights came on and are now off?
Old 06-15-13, 11:54 AM
Jets300
Rookie

@FrankT would a faulty starter solenoid really trigger the trifecta of dashboard lights..?
Old 06-15-13, 01:38 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jets300
@FrankT would a faulty starter solenoid really trigger the trifecta of dashboard lights..?
No not really, but when the starter keeps cranking, the motor is turning and with the key in the off position; it messes with the ECU. I would like to know what codes were thrown. Probably something to do with no ignition signal.
Old 06-16-13, 12:37 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by martin0617
Thanks for the input I wil relay that to my guy that is going to do some work on it. I am not mechanically savy at all. Could that also be the reason that the dash lights came on and are now off?
my dash light, speedometer was off when I had a bad battery connection and bad battery.
Old 06-20-13, 08:39 PM
mmartin061
banned

0420 0430 and 1350 which he is going to change the cam position sensor and then on to trouble shooting he cats. Oh contrary to popular belief the bad egg smell on wot means your cat is working properly. I read it somwhere on yahoo answers. Leave it up to you to agree or not
Old 06-20-13, 09:04 PM
mmartin061
banned

Also anyone interested in perhaps the best video on youtube on testing catalytic converts go to Scott Macdonalds how to test a catalytic converter. He uses a gas probe to measure emissions before and after the cat.
Old 06-20-13, 09:33 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

umm, FYI. you know where your starter is?... in the center of the engine. no easy task. mine went out last week
Old 06-21-13, 08:33 AM
mmartin061
banned

I am not doing it. I am not mechanically inclined. I got a brand new Denso starter and with intake gasket $354 installed. But the cat issues perplex me. I hear differing advice. Since those codes were thrown I've beeen told they are just bad. Then I read up and see ypu can test them and or try and clean them with laqour thinner run through your gas tank. Also heard it could be a bad o2 triping that code. To confusing
Old 06-21-13, 12:28 PM
FrankT
Instructor

$354 is a very fair price for labor...

Before doing anything to your exhaust, verify the proper operation of all of your O2 sensors. A good mechanic should know how to do this with a multimeter and or oscilloscope.

Good luck
Old 06-22-13, 11:28 AM
mmartin061
banned

I meant I am getting the starter and labor for $354 I just bought the car. Someone shammed me is what happened. I am going to have a gas analysis done on it. I heard this is the BEST way to tell if your cat is working properly. Before catalytic converter and after catalytic converter. If all the numbers are lower I heard your cat is good. Thabks Frank for input. Also getting timing belt kit Gates for $520 with labor.
Old 06-22-13, 05:24 PM
FrankT
Instructor

A bad O2 sensor will also give you poor numbers on the analysis.
That is why the proper diagnosing procedure is to simply test the O2 sensors first.
A professional grade scan tool can also verify the O2 sensors in real time.

It would be a drag to replace your converters only to find out your same code just returned, of which you have yet to specify.
Old 06-22-13, 05:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by martin0617
I meant I am getting the starter and labor for $354 I just bought the car. Someone shammed me is what happened. I am going to have a gas analysis done on it. I heard this is the BEST way to tell if your cat is working properly. Before catalytic converter and after catalytic converter. If all the numbers are lower I heard your cat is good. Thabks Frank for input. Also getting timing belt kit Gates for $520 with labor.
All you have to do is watch the voltages on the rear O2 sensors.... If they cycle up and down, the O2 sensors are good and the cats are bad - this is generally what trips the codes - the O2 sensors cycling... Other things can cause those codes to set without actually being bad, such as a fuel or ignition system issue or an exhaust leak...

Who cares what the cats are actually doing, so long as the ECU is happy with the readings it gets from the sensors, all will be happy...

Quick Reply: What is going on with my GS 400