GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New owner of '99 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 06:30 PM
fonebone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of '99 GS400

Hey all,

New poster here. Not 24 hours ago I acquired a '99 GS400 with only 44,000 miles on the odometer. The car was kept in a climate controlled garage and had regular service at the local Lexus dealer. All equipment is original except the Borbet 16-inch wheels, which were installed in place of the original 17-inch rims (since lost) to accomodate winter tires. The car has new tires, new brakes, new serpentine belt, and just received the 45k dealer service a few months ago. I plan to install a timing belt kit this week as a preventative measure. It came with the nav system, and I'm told it has the Mark Levinson amp although I don't know how to confirm that. As you can see, the car looks like it just rolled off the lot. The interior is just as spotless and immaculate as the exterior.

This is my first Lexus. My previous car was a 2002 Camry. Before that I owned a few Civics, a Nissan Sentra, and a Volvo 240DL, so this is quite a step up. I kind of accidentally ended up owning this car - it wasn't something I planned, but after putting about 100 miles on it I think I'll be keeping it.

At the moment I plan to keep everything stock, except that I will probably swap out the nav console for a standard climate control console and replace the factory head unit with something that can accommodate an MP3 player/iphone. I also plan to switch to synthetic oil at the next OCI.

Looking for any advice, comments, suggestions, etc. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails New owner of '99 GS400-1a-copy.jpg   New owner of '99 GS400-2a-copy.jpg   New owner of '99 GS400-3a-copy.jpg  

Last edited by fonebone; 05-13-13 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-13-13, 06:35 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome to CL.. that Lexus is mint... Great find with such low miles...
Old 05-13-13, 07:52 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the GS and welcome to Club Lexus

Only 44k on the odometer, that's awesome
Old 05-13-13, 08:06 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow what a find! Welcome to club lexus
Old 05-13-13, 09:45 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, if my car only had 44k on the ticker when i got it i woulda done everything differently. meaning, maybe i wouldna touched it. great car man. should throw in a couple interior pics
Old 05-13-13, 09:56 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clean! An Welcome!
Old 05-13-13, 10:15 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome! This is truly one of the most sought after models. The GS400 was only produce for 3 years, just to let you know how much of a GEM you got!! Especially with low miles like that is Super Rare, CONGRATS!!
Old 05-13-13, 10:18 PM
bjlisiono
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome!!!
Old 05-13-13, 10:44 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the club
Old 05-14-13, 06:18 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

woww man nice find with such a low miles. how much did you buy it for if you dont mind me asking.
Old 05-14-13, 07:19 AM
fonebone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sevenevez
wow, if my car only had 44k on the ticker when i got it i woulda done everything differently. meaning, maybe i wouldna touched it. great car man. should throw in a couple interior pics

I will add some interior pics later today. I feel kind of bad about ripping out the nav system. The touch screen controls for climate and radio are really nice and the screen itself is more responsive than my new Garmin. I can't believe it's a 15 year-old system. It seems like it belongs in museum somewhere.
Old 05-14-13, 07:26 AM
fonebone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neegroy
woww man nice find with such a low miles. how much did you buy it for if you dont mind me asking.
I got it from a family member who is blind in his left eye. Hence the low miles - he's afraid to drive! He bought a BMW with blind spot detection and sold the Lexus to me for what the BMW dealer was offering for trade-in, an embarrassing $6k.
Old 05-14-13, 07:40 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fonebone
At the moment I plan to keep everything stock, except that I will probably swap out the nav console for a standard climate control console and replace the factory head unit with something that can accommodate an MP3 player/iphone. I also plan to switch to synthetic oil at the next OCI.

Looking for any advice, comments, suggestions, etc. Thanks!
First off, WELCOME!! Great find!!! I would suggest that if you want to keep it stock, then don't spend your time here on CL. If you do, you'll eventually get bit by the mod bug!!

From what I understand, swapping out the head unit, necessitates bypassing the factory amp (ie, you'll need an aftermarket amp as well).

A cheap and effective stop gap measure for the stereo issue, can be found here.

Doing a timing belt/water pump replace is a wise decision, IMHO.
Old 05-14-13, 08:03 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great find dude!!! Wow!
That Nav unit is outdated and cannot be updated. However, you have found a great car for less. Congrats and welcome
Old 05-14-13, 11:56 AM
fonebone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blanco

From what I understand, swapping out the head unit, necessitates bypassing the factory amp (ie, you'll need an aftermarket amp as well).

A cheap and effective stop gap measure for the stereo issue, can be found here.
I've done some research on this and realize I'll have to bypass the amp. However from what I understand most aftermarket HUs put out as many watts as the OEM Pioneer amp, so something like the Alpine CDE-134HD should not be a step down in sound quality, even without an external amp (correct me if I'm wrong...).

Also, for some reason these OEM nav units are selling for $600+ on ebay. If I can realistically expect to sell mine for that much, that should easily cover the cost of installing an aftermarket stereo and then some (although why anyone would pay $600 for a GPS unit that can't be updated past 2005 is beyond me).

I don't really want to mess around with FM modulators with this vehicle. I've looked into the rigging the aux port through the CD changer relay but at the end of the day I think I'd rather just have a modern HU that can do HD radio and interface directly with a smartphone.

Quick Reply: New owner of '99 GS400